Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    I'm experiencing something odd with this patch. I deleted all my conversations and when I go to my SMS screen it tells me that I have no conversations (working as intended). But when I text someone, it pulls up all of the text history with that individual and shows my text (faded - not sending). It seems like the text just hangs there for awhile.

Edit:

So it isn't just this patch causing the issue. This occurs even after I remove the patch and manually delete a conversation. If I text that person or they text me, the entire conversation history comes back.
    Last edited by AlphaQ; 08/11/2010 at 11:21 AM.
    This has been a problem since the very first WebOS version. If you dont consistently delete chat threads and let them build up over time, there seems to be no way to delete the threads except doing a doctor or use the data and app reset option.
    Please re-read the entire thread. Deleting long (multiple thousand) conversations takes a very long time. As in hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Please re-read the entire thread. Deleting long (multiple thousand) conversations takes a very long time. As in hours.
    Grabber, if I do this before I go to bed and leave the phone on for 8 hours to do this, do you think when I get up for the day that it will be done?
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulB007 View Post
    Grabber, if I do this before I go to bed and leave the phone on for 8 hours to do this, do you think when I get up for the day that it will be done?
    It seems like it would, but I think there are factors that could cause it to need more time, like how many conversations you delete at once and how big they are. In that case the clear all conversations patch might be more efficient.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulB007 View Post
    This has been a problem since the very first WebOS version. If you dont consistently delete chat threads and let them build up over time, there seems to be no way to delete the threads except doing a doctor or use the data and app reset option.
    this is not true ! if you have a lot of convo's or some very long convo's it takes it a min or two to completely delete them , if a text comes in right after deleteing or if you bring up a person to send a text to very soon after deleting it will stop the deletion and bring back up the convo's in stead of deleting them . p.s. if you have some extreamly long convo's let it sit for 5 or 10 just to complete. it is like a computer deleting a 10 gig program , the little loading or deleting bar keeps going and going lol ..... get it ?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    well i have 2 convos with less than three texts total and the patch is getting stuck on me and not deleting.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  8.    #28  
    Hmmm, been a busy day here. I am investigating this a bit. I did not see a callback option in the messaging code, so I may have to take a different route to making this work for the long convos. It should not take hours, but I can see it taking a few minutes.

Is there an app to backup and actually restore messaging threads? If I can do this to mine on my device, then I can test this quickly. Will be really hard to build up long threads for testing this.

* Opens Save/Restore and double checks
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    well i have 2 convos with less than three texts total and the patch is getting stuck on me and not deleting.
    Still working on this one for you. Trying to determine what of the 20 million patches you have installed is causing this.

BTW, on page 1 there is a "test" patch. Can you remove the one you have now and install this one manually? It will print out error data should an error occur.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2585089
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Hmmm, been a busy day here. I am investigating this a bit. I did not see a callback option in the messaging code, so I may have to take a different route to making this work for the long convos. It should not take hours, but I can see it taking a few minutes.
    Really? Are you using a different method to delete them than when you swipe away a conversation? (edit: after looking at the patch code, I suspect it uses the same method). It literally took almost an hour and a half to delete 1900 messages with the phone sitting there doing basically nothing else after I swiped the conversation away (other than periodically opening the conversation to check the count). Regarding the callback.. I haven't read the documentation enough to know -- does the lack of a callback on the deleteChatThread service request mean it is synchronous? I assumed they were all asynchronous.

Is there an app to backup and actually restore messaging threads? If I can do this to mine on my device, then I can test this quickly. Will be really hard to build up long threads for testing this.

* Opens Save/Restore and double checks
    By the time I post this you'll have your answer. It backs up but doesn't restore (last I checked, recently). Looking through the html, it sure looks like bits are missing that tie things together.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 08/31/2010 at 12:15 AM.
    Nice. Add to that an auto feature so you never have to tell it to even do it (optional of course). It can be done.

Remind me in a couple weeks? I leave in 36 hours for my vacation. When I return, I expect to be overloaded with GPS Fix stuff and then plan on getting FlashCards v3 at least pushed along heavily.

Will also want to wait for 1.4.5 as this would likely change the game a bit.
    Wow didn't realize how long it had been since I suggested this. Consider yourself reminded.
    I tried to let my messages delete all night, and yet only a few of the threads were deleted when I rebooted my phone. I left 8 hours of time, it seems like my only solution is to doctor..
    Would like to request this be updated to work with 2.1.0 if anyone has the knowledge and time.

Thanks !
    Giving this another bump for 2.1.0...
    REALLY missing this on 2.1.0.
  16.    #36  
    Sorry guys. Let me get some of my commitments out of the way and I can get back to porting this. Just a bit overextended at the moment.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12