Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    Would love to have this added as replacement to google maps on my universal search menu.
    Tweet, Twit, or Tw@t? Twitter.com/bigfire

Your signature needs to be less interesting than that post you just added....and QUIT begging for people to 'Thank' you, you tool
    +1 I want to have BFGMaps as the default map app under Addresses.
    that would be cool.....
    +1
    Maybe we should ask this in reverse. Is there anyone that would not want BFG instead of Google maps?
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    +1. Hope this can be done.
    I was able to change my default app to bfg. I created one patch that renamed google maps. I tried to make a patch to change BFGmaps to google maps but it kept erroring out. I manually changed it and when I click on any address in my contact list BFGMaps now renamed to google maps pops up. The easiest way for this modification to work until I can figure out why the patch for BFG won't install is to:

1. Open webosqi and receive /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps/appinfo.json

2. rename id: com.palm.apps.maps1 title: Google Maps1

3. Send appinfo.json to /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps/

4. receive /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.watchmefreak.bfgmaps/appinfo.json

5. rename id: com.palm.apps.maps title: Google Maps

6. Send appinfo.json to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.watchmefreak.bfgmaps/

luna restart and now your contacts pull up BFGMaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    I was able to change my default app to bfg. I created one patch that renamed google maps. I tried to make a patch to change BFGmaps to google maps but it kept erroring out. I manually changed it and when I click on any address in my contact list BFGMaps now renamed to google maps pops up. The easiest way for this modification to work until I can figure out why the patch for BFG won't install is to:

1. Open webosqi and receive /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps/appinfo.json

2. rename id: com.palm.apps.maps1 title: Google Maps1

3. Send appinfo.json to /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.maps/

4. receive /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.watchmefreak.bfgmaps/appinfo.json

5. rename id: com.palm.apps.maps title: Google Maps

6. Send appinfo.json to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.watchmefreak.bfgmaps/

luna restart and now your contacts pull up BFGMaps.
    Awesome! Would this need to be done each time BFGMaps is updated?
    probably so as soon as there is another update I will post back with the answer.
    Last edited by mamouton; 07/25/2010 at 04:47 PM.
    this is great!
    I hate to rain on the parade, but this workaround is a bit problematic. From what I know (and if anyone has evidence to the contrary, I'll gladly listen) webOS uses on the app ID for some very important things. For example, when there's a webOS update (like the still-delayed 1.4.5) and it has to apply the changes in the update to webOS apps and frameworks, it needs to look at an app's ID in order to see if it's the right one to apply the update's changes to. So, if Palm has an update to the Google Maps app in a webOS update, and you've edited BFGMaps appinfo file to make webOS think that it's actually Palm's Google Maps app... well, the update gets applied to the wrong app, and it screws up BFGMaps and possibly, since it doesn't get the patches Palm needs to apply to it, the Google Maps app itself get screwed up. And I'm pretty sure you won't get updates to BFGMaps- webOS thinks that it's the Google Maps app, not BFGMaps so why would it look for updates to BFGMaps? Well, you're SOL and updateless.
    I'm not trying to be the bad guy. I just think someone needed to bring up the fact that this is some really risky stuff and you need to be careful when you mess with these kinds of things. I love patching and hacking deeply and it's one of the reasons I love webOS, but I feel like someone needed to bring these things up.
    that is why I only gave my workaround and never posted a patch. This is definitely something that would need to be unapplied and reapplied with a webos update or a bfgmaps update with internalz the job is very painless. It works for me and since it was requested I was just showing that it could be done with some work. I guess I should edit my post to state the dangers. But anytime you start tinkering with system files risk is always involved. For me the small amount of work is worth the benefit of being able to access BFGMaps via contacts or universal search. My disclaimer use at your own caution. Works great for me though.

Edit: Just changed the appinfo.json back to update to 1.0.19 and changed it back to register as default longest procedure was the luna restart.
    Last edited by mamouton; 07/25/2010 at 07:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    that is why I only gave my workaround and never posted a patch. This is definitely something that would need to be unapplied and reapplied with a webos update or a bfgmaps update with internalz the job is very painless. It works for me ans since it was requested I was just showing that it could be done with some work. I guess I should edit my post to state the dangers. But anytime you start tinkering with system files risk is always involved. For me the small amount of work is worth the benefit of being able to access BFGMaps via contacts or universal search. My disclaimer use at your own caution. Works great for me though.

Edit: Just changed the appinfo.json back to update to 1.0.19 and changed it back to register as default longest procedure was the luna restart.
    Very good points. Thanks for the thoughtful response. Just glad to see you posting a warning. Nice work
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    After reading this thread, I guess it's safe to assume that no progress has been made on being able to "unlock" the greyed-out choices in the "Default Applications" dialog found in the Launcher? No hidden functionality to un-comment out like the Landscape E-mail and Alternate Clock?
    One can register BFGMaps for maps. Read here about the technicals. Once you registered BFGMaps you can select it in favor for GMaps.

L\’Haut-Parleur. mostly about developing my software for Palm OS
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaView View Post
    One can register BFGMaps for maps. Read here about the technicals. Once you registered BFGMaps you can select it in favor for GMaps.

L\’Haut-Parleur. mostly about developing my software for Palm OS
    This looks to be for developers to add to their app, and not for end-users.

I can make a patch that adds this to the BFGMaps app, but seeing how often the app is updated, the patch would constantly need to be uninstalled and installed with every update by users.

The ideal solution would be to create a patch that adds the BFGMaps to the Default Apps list. Does anyone know where the list of default apps is actually listed/stored?
    Last edited by opacityzero; 07/29/2010 at 10:09 PM.
    or just post this information in the bfgmaps thread the developer is there regularly.
    At the moment calling this API isn’t allowed yet, but good point in case developer does not know about this already.
    One could write a small homebrew app which does the registration for any given app. Seems I'll do it today.
    I knew I was glad I bought uber radio! :-)
    BFGMaps still needs to response to the launch then
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast