1.    #1  
    I'm surprised that I just thought of this. Under Device Info, go to the App Menu and select Default Applications. Currently, on my US Sprint Pre (1.4.1.1), the only change you can make is whether Addresses open with Google Maps or Sprint Navigation. However, also listed are Phone Numbers (open with Phone), Email Addresses (open with Email), and Web Links (open with Web). For the most part, I don't really see anything that can be changed here. However, the table below it lists a bunch of file types, and their associated application. Which got me thinking - why couldn't this be modified (patched) to recognize certain Homebrew things?

Now that Preware (although in testing) supports installing IPKGs from a URL or stored on the device, it'd be great if someone could click a link to one from these forums, have it download, then open up in Preware, with the File ready to be installed (with appropriate confirmations, of course).

I realize that certain changes would also require the target application to be modified, but that's why we're a community, right? I figure if it's something like Preware then it can be built in, or if it's a standard or "official" app then it can be patched in.

Currently, adding the .ipkg file type is the only thing that's coming to my mind as something that would be nice to add to this list. I guess you could also do something with .txt files opening in some of the text editing applications such as Scratch.

Anybody else have ides for additional file type handlers? Anybody see any advantage in having a patch / options like this?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLBurger View Post
    I realize that certain changes would also require the target application to be modified, but that's why we're a community, right? I figure if it's something like Preware then it can be built in, or if it's a standard or "official" app then it can be patched in.

Currently, adding the .ipkg file type is the only thing that's coming to my mind as something that would be nice to add to this list. I guess you could also do something with .txt files opening in some of the text editing applications such as Scratch.

Anybody else have ides for additional file type handlers? Anybody see any advantage in having a patch / options like this?
    Patch not needed. There's an undocumented service that both Preware and Internalz will probably and up using.

Preware will probably just register itself for .ipk. Internalz, I plan, for .ipk, .txt, .ini, .sh, .conf...etc.

Don't forget, Internalz has a VERY hard text editor in it
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Patch not needed. There's an undocumented service that both Preware and Internalz will probably and up using.

Preware will probably just register itself for .ipk. Internalz, I plan, for .ipk, .txt, .ini, .sh, .conf...etc.

Don't forget, Internalz has a VERY hard text editor in it
    Awesome, that works for me!

And yeah I was going to mention Internalz' text editor for handling .txt, but took it out since everything's still in beta at the moment

But good to hear this expanded usability is coming!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLBurger View Post
    And yeah I was going to mention Internalz' text editor for handling .txt, but took it out since everything's still in beta at the moment

But good to hear this expanded usability is coming!
    Text editor exists in the current public 1.0 too
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook