Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    I'd like to be able to edit/shorten the icon text for some apps with, shall we say, long winded titles... Some of the apps have names that are 3 lines long, and they just look ugly!

Is this possible with a patch?
    Most anything is possible with a patch. What is the name of the app you want shortned?
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Well, there are a ton of them, really. I'd like to be able to shorten them all to one line of text if possible. Maybe turn the name into initials, i.e. Work Out Tracker = WOT or, The Weather Channel = TWC / Sprint Navigation = SprintNav

The ability to customize this info would be great. ...and really clean up the launcher pages, in the process!
    Internalz 1.2 which comes out on the 25th will add the ability to read and write in those paths. I am not sure how familiar you are with accessing the filesystem of the Pre but you could receive the appinfo.json and modify the name and send it back to the proper location. I might just suggest waiting until Jason releases his new version of Internalz and then you can navigate and make the changes.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    I am not sure how familiar you are with accessing the filesystem of the Pre

Well, not very... but I'm a quick study - I'll look into it when the new version is released.

I'll bet an app could be made that could automate this process, make it look "pretty" and package it with some spiffy webOS graphics, and sell it for a couple of bucks - bet it would sell a few thousand...

...and a "thanks" for the tip - your 600th thanks! ;-) ...helpful guy.
    After rereading your post and looking at Internalz documentation again it looks like the only one you won't be able to change now with Internalz would be the Sprint Navigation. I am navigating and trying to change a title now with Internalz.

I was correct most apps you mentioned are installed in
    /media/crytofs/apps/usr/palm/applications

you can navigate to the appinfo.json file and click open and make your changes to your liking. You need to install Internalz for this though.

Do you have Preware installed? If so do a search for Internalz and it will tell you it needs to install 1 additional item go ahead and click install.

If you have webosqi you can read http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...z-1-0-1-a.html and it will give information there as well.
    Last edited by mamouton; 07/16/2010 at 08:08 PM.
    I did this using winscp & it's super easy with its explorer navigation. Yes, slightly cumbersome, but very effective. No need for developer mode as icon name, for ex; I made it dev mode and it fits in 1 line.

the internalz method looks easier, sure. If you want the detailed steps, pm me.
    Hey Nabril15,
    I use winscp to make all those changes. Winscp is so helpful and easy makeing changes to the Pre, but he said he wasn't very famililar with that, so I chose the more user friendly route.
    Last edited by mamouton; 07/17/2010 at 01:37 PM.
    what happens to OTA@updates if the names are changed?
    Good question
    The updates system checks the app id, it does not depend on the name (In my experience)
    This is an interesting thread. Back in the old PalmOS days I used to shorten app names inside of zLauncher. It would be clean up a few name on my Pre. I would make them all a maximum of 1 line.

Thanks for the tips.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    What is the path for the file: appinfo.json

EDIT: I see. Every app folder has it's own appinfo.json file which can be edited to change the icon name. By changing the "Title" field the name shown in the launcher can be shortened.

Now if I could just get a stable wifi connection thru Filezille or Winscp I might try changing a few appinfo.json files.
    Last edited by swieder; 07/17/2010 at 09:22 AM.
    This looks like something interesting to try - I use 5x5 icons and the text does get a bit crowded, or break in odd places.
    I was able to use Internalz to shorten a bunch of titles of the apps in /media/crytofs/apps/usr/palm/applications

Any idea where the built apps, like Navigation, have their appinfo.json file?

EDIT: Found it in /usr/palm/applications/com.telenav.app.attnavigation/
    but its marked Read Only. Was able to use the receive/send file feature is WOSQI to edit it.
    Last edited by swieder; 07/18/2010 at 12:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I was able to use Internalz to shorten a bunch of titles of the apps in /media/crytofs/apps/usr/palm/applications

Any idea where the built apps, like Navigation, have their appinfo.json file?

EDIT: Found it in /usr/palm/applications/com.telenav.app.attnavigation/
    but its marked Read Only. Was able to use the receive/send file feature is WOSQI to edit it.
    I think you can also do this if you're in dev mode and have novacom on your computer (which you do if you have WOSQI)- you'd need to type this:
    1: cd /media/crytofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/
    2: ls
    That should show you every app in that directory
    3: cd {identifier of the app you want to edit- for example (off the top of my head, sorry it's not exactly right): com.palm.nanapps.nanplayer
    4: ls
    This shows you the contents of the app- the resources folder, the images folder, and some files, including the one you want- appinfo.json
    5: vi appinfo.json
    A little text editor should take over the Terminal- this is the "vi" command line text editor and it is your friend I really need to sleep now, but if you need help with vi, just Google it- you'll get the hang of it (you could install gnu nano from preware if that's your thing though)
    sorry this is pretty rough, i didn't have time to test it on my pre and this is all off the top of my head so odds are there's something wrong with my instructions. I'll work on it tomorrow. Good luck!
    I'm so happy I found this thread. This is something I've been wanting to do for a while now but didn't know how. Who knew it would be so easy using Internalz. Thanks everyone!
    Will all these edited appinfo.json files get lost when when we upgrade our phones to 1.4.5 or doctor them?
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Will all these edited appinfo.json files get lost when when we upgrade our phones to 1.4.5 or doctor them?
    This is just a guess, so please take it with a grain- or a pound- of salt, but I think it depends on whether or not the update touches the specific apps you've modified. I'm not sure how the OTA Update system works- I'd recommend that you try looking through the webOS-Internals Wiki. It's always a good place to find these things out.

Main Page - WebOS Internals
    You can change the app names as they appear in the launcher icon with internalz. Find the appinfo.json open change the 'title' close and luna restart. Simple as that. Still not sure if this will effect future updates? Maybe a developer can help answer this?

Internalz is great!