1.    #1  
    It's been months, but on several occasions, I had added gps, roam only, and data toggles, and MUCH later, battery temp monitor, to the drop down menu. Initially, I had used just the first 3, off-and-on, and found that their presence there dramatically reduce my battery life.

When the battery temp monitor became available, I tried the first 3 again, and noticed a big drop in performance. I removed the 3 toggles and just ran with the temp monitor and noticed only a slight battery performance drop.

Now, I understand that the temp monitor polls the device, which uses some power. But how does the mere presence of data, gps, and roam only toggles in the menu, along with wifi and bluetooth toggles, affect battery life? It doesn't actually use any power for them to be there any more than it does for the stand alone toggle apps to reside in the app menu.

If I remember correctly, I may have also experienced some device slow down, but the main issue was a huge drop in battery.

Does this problem still exist? Right now I use quick system tasks, with the toggle apps as a redundant option. I would much rather put it all in the drop down menu.

Thanks!
    Only way to find out is if you test it. It doesn't seem likely that this is the cause of your battery issue, but anything is plausible.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  3.    #3  
    I tested the concept yet again (this is the 3rd or 4th time I've done this) and the results are the same. Battery life is cut in half. the only way to save battery life, is to keep all data functions turned off, including EVDO/1xrt except for when in use, and even this doesn't help that much.

I understand why adding the battery temp monitor drains some power because it's polling the battery. But adding additional toggles (i.e., Data and GPS as well as brightness) that do the same thing that the WiFi and BlueTooth toggles in the drop down menu do (which, in turn are redundantly present as apps on the device), should have absolutely no effect on battery life, but they do.

Also, adding and removing them very easily triggers ipkg errors. I had to use the emergency patch removal function to take them off.

So... anyone out there have any idea why these functions would kill battery life?

Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Only way to find out is if you test it. It doesn't seem likely that this is the cause of your battery issue, but anything is plausible.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  4.    #4  
    bump
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    battery temp monitor (the one in the drop down menu) does not poll the batt until you access it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang View Post
    battery temp monitor (the one in the drop down menu) does not poll the batt until you access it.
    interesting... I think I'll install it. Thanks for the info.
  7.    #7  
    Actually, Jason Robitaille clarified monthd ago that it does, in fact, poll the battery temperature every 5 minutes. So, it does not wait until you select the drop down menu.
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Actually, Jason Robitaille clarified monthd ago that it does, in fact, poll the battery temperature every 5 minutes. So, it does not wait until you select the drop down menu.
    Really? Are you sure you're not mixing it up with his device temp warning patch? It's not hard to get them confused. But maybe I stand corrected- actually, odds are the info I've read is outdated. I'm going to look into this... thanks!