Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First I'd like to apologize because of my hiatus I have neglected known flaws in AUPT for too long. Although with the great development of the Save/Restore system started by rwhitby, I believe the worst case scenario will be very manageable.

Ok, so here's the deal. Patches that touch multiple packages will not be able to remove/update after an OTA, iff the OTA doesn't update all or none of those packages. These "problem" patches will be in a half-installed half-removed state and there's nothing in AUPT logic that can get it out of this state.

Luckily there aren't a ton of these packages but to avoid this scenario I must recommend you remove the following patches prior to OTA update while using AUPT version 4 or before.

• Muffle System Logging
    • Quieter PmLog Logging
    • GestureClick Context Menu
    • KeyToss Keyword Search
    • Enable Verizon aGPS Server for Improved GPS
    • Multi Mod
    • SMS Tone per Contact
    • SMS Tone per Contact v2
    • No Auto-Off While Charging
    • Scrim Multi
    • Scrim Multi v2
    • Scrim Multi o2
    • Scrim Multi o2 v2
    • Scrim Multi Verizon
    • Scrim Multi Verizon v2
    • Scrim System Screens

I apologize to the patch authors in advance for the inevitable barage of questions they will receive due to my oversight.

What to do if you have updated with a problem patch installed:

• In Preware Saved Packages List, hit Update to make sure it has the current list of installed packages.
    • In Save/Restore, save the application data for Preware, just in case.
    • In Preware, run EPR (Emergency Patch Recovery)
    • In Preware, run EFV (Emergency File Verification) to confirm everything is removed
    • In Preware, go to the Saved Packages List, and re-install the packages. Don't hit update, or it will clear your list.
    • If for some reason, the Saved Packages List is not there, you can restore it from Save/Restore.

NOTE
    Any patches installed outside of the webos-patches feed may or may not contain this bug. If you are unsure, remove them.
    Last edited by egaudet; 09/15/2010 at 11:24 PM.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Wait so why are these specific packages affected?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    What to do if you have updated with a problem patch installed:

If anyone updates with one of the problem patches installed, I believe the best solution will be to use save/restore to save your patches list. Then install EPR to wipe all patches (or webos doctor). Then use save/restore to restore the patches.
    To clarify, do you mean the Save/Restore app (which includes a profile for Preware) or the Saved Package List option within Preware? Does Save/Restore's Preware profile also back up the saved package list?
    thanx for the info. Maybe afterall its something good in waiting for update. I had only one from the list and removed it now to not forget about it later
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Wait so why are these specific packages affected?
    they will get stuck because some of the files they mod will be replaced and some won't be replaced. So trying to update or remove them after an OTA will give you errors because of the mismatch.
    Is this something specific to just the new update? I have a majority of those apps and with the last update nothing got stuck or messed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    Is this something specific to just the new update? I have a majority of those apps and with the last update nothing got stuck or messed up.
    Has to deal specifically with updating to 1.4.5.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    I had a feeling MultiMod would have issues again, it usually does with OTA updates.
    Hope it will compatible soon.. .
    Everybody wants some!..
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    I had a feeling MultiMod would have issues again, it usually does with OTA updates.
    Hope it will compatible soon.. .
    Just remove it before you do the 1.4.5 update and re-install after the update is installed, it's not that it's not compatible with 1.4.5. As stated this is a flaw with AUPT, while quite robust it has a bit of trouble with partially overwritten patches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Just remove it before you do the 1.4.5 update and re-install after the update is installed, it's not that it's not compatible with 1.4.5. As stated this is a flaw with AUPT, while quite robust it has a bit of trouble with partially overwritten patches.
    The "flaw" is that AUPT was designed for patches that touch a single palm package (knowing that palm updates packages as atomic units), but we have unwittingly allowed authors to create 14 patches that touch multiple packages in the one patch, and therefore fall outside the current design limits of AUPT.

Note that if palm updated none of the touched packages, or if palm updated all of the touched packages, then the patch would update perfectly. The problem only occurs when palm updates one of the affected packages but not another. This condition will be different for different webOS releases.

Note that re-architecting AUPT to handle multiple package updates by a single patch is not a trivial thing, so is not likely to be fixed in the short term future (and maybe not even in the medium term). So anyone saying "I hope this is fixed soon" should not hold their breath while waiting

We may simply decide to ask the authors of these patches to split them into multiple patches that only touch one package each, and remove from the feed any that don't meet those constraints.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Gotcha thanks.
    I just remember last time it stopped the flow of all patches from the AUPT 'update all' feature on patches that started with 'M-Z'. Just want to avoid that this time.
    Good to know it's ready to go.
    To late for me
    You can also add "System Menu Initial Framework" to the list. :sigh:
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewRich View Post
    To clarify, do you mean the Save/Restore app (which includes a profile for Preware) or the Saved Package List option within Preware? Does Save/Restore's Preware profile also back up the saved package list?
    1) In Preware Saved Packages List, hit Update to make sure it has the current list of installed packages.

2) In Save/Restore, save the application data for Preware, just in case.

3) In Preware, run EPR

4) In Preware, run EFV to confirm everything is removed

5) Accept the webOS 1.4.5 update

6) In Preware, go to the Saved Packages List, and re-install the packages. Don't hit update, or it will clear your list.

7) If for some reason, the Saved Packages List is not there, you can restore it from Save/Restore.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 07/05/2010 at 02:54 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    Gotcha thanks.
    I just remember last time it stopped the flow of all patches from the AUPT 'update all' feature on patches that started with 'M-Z'. Just want to avoid that this time.
    Good to know it's ready to go.
    Actually I spoke a bit soon, there is a placeholder for the Multimod patch, it has yet to be updated to be compatible with 1.4.5
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Actually I spoke a bit soon, there is a placeholder for the Multimod patch, it has yet to be updated to be compatible with 1.4.5
    Okay. I will miss my 'hot-keys' feature but can be patient.. .
    Now I understand why the KeyToss patch and the SMS per contact patch caused me such a problem last time. Thanks!
    Last edited by vza33; 07/05/2010 at 12:33 PM.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Is the "Gesture tap for info and delete" also affected, or just the "context menu" patch?
    Of course, for people in Germany this comes too late...
    Last edited by Blacklight; 07/05/2010 at 04:05 AM.
    IPK FETCHER <-> An attempt against geo-filtering
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I updated my german Pre to 1.4.5 yesterday and had the described Problem with GestureClick Context Menu.

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    1) In Preware Saved Packages List, hit Update to make sure it has the current list of installed packages.

2) In Save/Restore, save the application data for Preware, just in case.

3) In Preware, run EPR

4) In Preware, run EFV to confirm everything is removed

5) Accept the webOS 1.4.5 update

6) In Preware, go to the Saved Packages List, and re-install the packages. Don't hit update, or it will clear your list.

7) If for some reason, the Saved Packages List is not there, you can restore it from Save/Restore.

-- Rod
    fixed it for me.
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by ben_dov View Post
    thanx for the info.
    cosign
    Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by michote View Post
    I updated my german Pre to 1.4.5 yesterday and had the described Problem with GestureClick Context Menu.

fixed it for me.
    Thanks!
    Same here, updated (by accident ...) and "GestureClick Context Menu" failed to update/remove.

But with rwhitby's instructions from above I seem to have all my patches back and working without errors!

Thanks!
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast