Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayfore View Post
    Thanks! I see EPR and EFV there... But where is Save/Restore located? In the standard Palm tools, I only have Backup, and it seems to offer no option for backing up a specific app.
    Type save/restore into Preware, it is a homebrew app by webos-internals.
    See its thread if you have that isn't supported and you want it in save/restore.
    Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    First I'd like to apologize because of my hiatus I have neglected known flaws in AUPT for too long. Although with the great development of the Save/Restore system started by rwhitby, I believe the worst case scenario will be very manageable.

Ok, so here's the deal. Patches that touch multiple packages will not be able to remove/update after an OTA, iff the OTA doesn't update all or none of those packages. These "problem" patches will be in a half-installed half-removed state and there's nothing in AUPT logic that can get it out of this state.

Luckily there aren't a ton of these packages but to avoid this scenario I must recommend you remove the following patches prior to OTA update while using AUPT version 4 or before.

• GestureClick Context Menu
    • KeyToss Keyword Search
    • Enable Verizon aGPS Server for Improved GPS
    • Multi Mod
    • SMS Tone per Contact
    • SMS Tone per Contact v2
    • No Auto-Off While Charging
    • Scrim Multi
    • Scrim Multi v2
    • Scrim Multi o2
    • Scrim Multi o2 v2
    • Scrim Multi Verizon
    • Scrim Multi Verizon v2
    • Scrim System Screens

I apologize to the patch authors in advance for the inevitable barage of questions they will receive due to my oversight.

What to do if you have updated with a problem patch installed:

• In Preware Saved Packages List, hit Update to make sure it has the current list of installed packages.
    • In Save/Restore, save the application data for Preware, just in case.
    • In Preware, run EPR (Emergency Patch Recovery)
    • In Preware, run EFV (Emergency File Verification) to confirm everything is removed
    • In Preware, go to the Saved Packages List, and re-install the packages. Don't hit update, or it will clear your list.
    • If for some reason, the Saved Packages List is not there, you can restore it from Save/Restore.

NOTE
    Any patches installed outside of the webos-patches feed may or may not contain this bug. If you are unsure, remove them.

I'm alittle confused. Where is Save/Restore? Where is EPR/EFV? And what do i do if i didn't uninstall those patches before upgrading?
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmink View Post
    I'm alittle confused. Where is Save/Restore? Where is EPR/EFV? And what do i do if i didn't uninstall those patches before upgrading?
    Read my post above yours for save/restore info. And read the post
    above mine for the epr.
    The how to is in the post you quoted.

Pip
    FORGET IT. i read and clicked on links. replied before i looked around. thanks.
    Thanks! I went thru all the steps and am trying to reinstall everything... But now each pkg gives HTTP 404 errors. Will have to try again later.
    Can someone help me out. After installing update 1.4.5 i didnt read the forum in time and didnt remove the patches and custom theme. well, now I am trying to access tweaks on my WebOS quick install and everytime i try i get this error and the it kicks me out. Please HELP!

ERROR: An error occured while attemptimg to run /tmp/ipkgScript.sh

The text leading up to this was:

----------------

|diff--git a/usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/builtins/palmInitFramework338.jsjsjs $b$/$usr$/$palm$/$frameworks$/$mojo$/$builtins$/$palmInitFramework338$.$js$
    |index2db731c..52e9eb5100644
    |---a/usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/builtins/palmInitFramework338.jsjsjs
    |+++b/usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/builtins/palmInitFramework338.jsjsjs

---------------

File to patch:
    Skip this patch? [y]
    1 out of 1 hunk ignored

then a final message i get is

Error unintalling: org.webosinternals.patches.browser-multi-mods
    Thanks! I went thru all the steps and am trying to reinstall everything... But now each pkg gives HTTP 404 errors. Will have to try again later.
    Still getting the same errors:
    failed
    -1: Unable to run command: /usr/bin/curl --create-dirs --insecure --location --fail --show-error --output /media/internal/.developer/org.webosinternals.patches.messaging-sms-tone-per-contact-v2_1.4.1-16_all.ipk http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-...4.1-16_all.ipk 2>&1
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- 0:00:06 --:--:-- 0
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- 0:00:07 --:--:-- 0
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- 0:00:08 --:--:-- 0
    curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404
    Any idea what can be done to salvage things?
  8.    #148  
    bump. If any mods read this, please sticky, thanks

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Well, i had read a while ago that every patch was going to be AUPT so i did not bother to see if that was correct, BIG MISTAKE, i have 3 Pres (mine, wife and son) i had the F105 on all of them, but that one i new had to uninstall so i did and put the palm stock kernel, that worked out fine, unfortunately had "multi mode" and "gestureclick context menu" and let them on when updated the phones to 1.4.5, i was really lazy to doctor and put back together 3 PHONES then started reading some threads and found this solution for MULTIMODE that seems to work for everybody even me, hope it helps if u don't have any other patch problem, HERE:

Originally Posted by xanthinealkaloid
    If you are having issues with this patch and want to avoid EPR, please follow the directions below...

Please note: EPR is the safest, cleanest thing you can do to resolve the issues with this patch, but before you try something else crazy...Do these steps.

Most important...You must remove all browser related patches.

1. Your phone must be in Developer mode.
    2. Try to uninstall via WebOS Quick Install. It may not work, but you should at least try it.
    3. Using WebOS Repair Utility, replace each of the following files via the Tools menu with the Restore Specific File option.

/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/app/controllers/chrome.jsjsjs
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/app/controllers/page-assistant.jsjsjs
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/app/controllers/urlbar.jsjsjs
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/sources.json
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/stylesheets/browser.css

4. Using WOSQI, delete each of the following files via the Tools menu with the Delete File/Directory option.

/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/app/controllers/downloaddialog-assistant.jsjsjs
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/app/views/download/download-stream-popup.html

5. Give your phone a Luna restart, then open Preware which should now allow you to remove or update the package.

6. Make a donation to Jason R. for make this fix possible without having to do any commandline magic.

It worked out well but still had the other one and found Mr's Whitby trouble shooting guide, it is a work but at least i did not have to Doctor 3 phones, by the way THANK YOU SO MUCH Mr. Whitby.
    Last edited by armepocho; 08/19/2010 at 01:24 AM.
    Carlos someone that enjoys WEBOS
    "volver al espíritu de cooperación que prevaleció en los tiempos iniciales de la comunidad de usuarios de computadoras"
    "Return to the spirit of cooperation that prevailed in the early days of the community of computer users" Linus Torvalds
  10.    #150  
    The above "fix" is very specific to a single patch and does not take into account any other potential mixture of files modified by other browser patches. The easiest, safest solution is to follow the steps in the first post of this thread using Preware's saved package list.

Manually modifying files (replacing, removing, editting) may have undesired effects that may be hard to notice/trace down, and may actually put you in a situation where a doctor is required.

-Eric G

Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    The above "fix" is very specific to a single patch and does not take into account any other potential mixture of files modified by other browser patches. The easiest, safest solution is to follow the steps in the first post of this thread using Preware's saved package list.

Manually modifying files (replacing, removing, editting) may have undesired effects that may be hard to notice/trace down, and may actually put you in a situation where a doctor is required.
    My problem is that I did try to follow those steps... But I get an HTTP 404 error (pasted a few posts up) with every attempt to reinstall a package. I wonder if the Sprint Store can re-flash the phone for me, so I can start with it from scratch? And if there would be a charge? I had gotten used to all the great patch enhancements, and now life without them is very frustrating.
  12.    #152  
    My problem is that I did try to follow those steps... But I get an HTTP 404 error (pasted a few posts up) with every attempt to reinstall a package. I wonder if the Sprint Store can re-flash the phone for me, so I can start with it from scratch? And if there would be a charge? I had gotten used to all the great patch enhancements, and now life without them is very frustrating.
    Have you tried update feeds?

-Eric G

Donate
    Have you tried update feeds?
    I just did that...

AND I'M GOLDEN!!!

THANKS SO MUCH!!

I had not done that, because the sentence in the 1st post that says "In Preware, go to the Saved Packages List, and re-install the packages. Don't hit update, or it will clear your list" made me wary of that. What does updating the feeds actually do, and why do you think I needed to do that? Did the download links for the packages somehow get corrupted, and updating the feeds corrected the links to everything?
    I'm new and just learning. What is AUPT and OTA please? I just used the update app in my PPP and I'm only at 1.4.1.1. How do I get my PPP up to 1.4.5? I'm getting ready to study and apply the Homebrew stuff but thought starting here was a good idea. Thanks for your help. Pam
  15.    #155  
    I just did that...

AND I'M GOLDEN!!!

THANKS SO MUCH!!

I had not done that, because the sentence in the 1st post that says "In Preware, go to the Saved Packages List, and re-install the packages. Don't hit update, or it will clear your list" made me wary of that. What does updating the feeds actually do, and why do you think I needed to do that? Did the download links for the packages somehow get corrupted, and updating the feeds corrected the links to everything?
    It needs to update the package cache after the OTA since the patches feed changes per webos version. In your case it was looking for old 1.4.1 version of the file from the 1.4.5 feed which does not exist (hence 404 error). After updating the feeds it correctly found most current version as the 1.4.5 version. So 100% expected and nothing wrong or bugged on your end.

-Eric G

Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by armepocho View Post
    Well, i had read a while ago that every patch was going to be AUPT so i did not bother to see if that was correct, BIG MISTAKE...
    I'm glad you were able to work it out. I feel bad you had such a hassle. Early on, I posted in this thread that this should have been mentioned on the front page of Precentral, and it was, in passing. But in my humble opinion, it warranted a separate headline, but I guess the editors of Precental didn't see it that way.

Nevertheless, this thread is a good illustration of the dark side of homebrew and patching. If you decide to modify your software without vendor support, you'd better know what you're doing and beware.

It also illustrates the challenges the vendor has in incorporating modifications. Imagine the outrage if Palm was responsible for this, and regular mainstream customers found their devices not functioning in some way. I imagine a SNAFU like that would make mainstream press.

So for those dozens, perhaps hundreds, of posts that say, in one way or another, "why can't Palm incorporate these changes" here's one reason why.

Bottom line: it's just not that simple.
    Since my Pre has not worked properly since the last OS update, but I've gotten used to not being able to download anything, I'm not even sure this update will work. I get an error stating "This package is XYZ mb. Please delete some files to make room and try again etc", but I only have about 3 apps and a few dozen pics, and 4gb of space.

Would anyone be able to offer me some step by step advice on how to copy off my text messages useing anything other than Internalz (as that wont work at all). I've used Sync Toy to back everything up and am happy with the hard reset option, but I have some text (SMS) messages that I am not prepared to lose from a close friend who died.

If I hard reset, will Sync toy be able to reinstal them all once I get Internalz working or is there anyother way to do it......

I know this probably isnt the right place to post this but I dont know where else to post as it was an OS update that caused these probs.
    Quote Originally Posted by missybev View Post
    Since my Pre has not worked properly since the last OS update, but I've gotten used to not being able to download anything, I'm not even sure this update will work. I get an error stating "This package is XYZ mb. Please delete some files to make room and try again etc", but I only have about 3 apps and a few dozen pics, and 4gb of space.

Would anyone be able to offer me some step by step advice on how to copy off my text messages useing anything other than Internalz (as that wont work at all). I've used Sync Toy to back everything up and am happy with the hard reset option, but I have some text (SMS) messages that I am not prepared to lose from a close friend who died.

If I hard reset, will Sync toy be able to reinstal them all once I get Internalz working or is there anyother way to do it......

I know this probably isnt the right place to post this but I dont know where else to post as it was an OS update that caused these probs.
    Well, you can save the texts and back them up to your computer, but you can't put them back on your phone once you doctor. There's just no stable way to do it. Now, there are some people who have successfully backed up their PalmDatabase.db3 and restored it again, but it's not very reliable from what I know- and if PalmDatabase.db3 is from an older version of webOS and you restore it on to a new one the chances of it going well are even lower. Sorry that I couldn't be of more help. Maybe Palm will let us do this some day, but for now we're left with basically nothing. You could email the texts to yourself if that's something you'd like. I'm very sorry to hear about your friend's death. I hope he/she lived well.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

Shameless plug: For more of my thoughts, ideas, sarcastic remarks, and other things you're probably better off not not thinking about, follow me on Twitter
    If you have the phone in Dev mode, you can use WebOS Quick Install in place of Internalz to copy the database's on and off the phones.

If you use WOSQI instead of Internalz you should be able to follow my method from here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2555627 and ignoring references to Save/Restore, PreBackup Utility and Preware.
    yes you can use the extract file and send file under options or tools in the top bar
    ĦṔ-ḶøØṫ-ŦḯØη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast