Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Would it help if I submit the update to GestureClick as 2 separate pacthes once 1.4.5 is out for my phone? It would be "gesture-click menu" and "stop gesture-click from hitting link".
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We may simply decide to ask the authors of these patches to split them into multiple patches that only touch one package each, and remove from the feed any that don't meet those constraints.

-- Rod
    That's the way it should be, IMO. I have avoided the patches that list off a whole series of mods because I would prefer to pick and choose on my own. I am sometimes frustrated that on a patch which lists 5 mods, I may really want 2 or 3 of them, but really detest the rest, and then can't find the ones I want as a separate patch.
  3. TJB
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I'm not sure what you mean by save and restore. Where is this function? Is it in Preware or something else?
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by save and restore. Where is this function? Is it in Preware or something else?
    Yes it is in Preware as a separate app... just look for it in there and you will love it!
    Palm m515 } Moto Q9c } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } bought a Palm Pre off of Ebay } that died } downgraded to an HTC EVO 4G } holding out hope for another WebOS device (also Preordered a Touchpad and have had it ever since the first day it came out!)
    1) In Preware Saved Packages List, hit Update to make sure it has the current list of installed packages.

2) In Save/Restore, save the application data for Preware, just in case.

3) In Preware, run EPR

4) In Preware, run EFV to confirm everything is removed

5) Accept the webOS 1.4.5 update

6) In Preware, go to the Saved Packages List, and re-install the packages. Don't hit update, or it will clear your list.

7) If for some reason, the Saved Packages List is not there, you can restore it from Save/Restore.

-- Rod
    Nice, Thanks!
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Unfortunately, not for me. But i have to admit that the patch "GestureClick Context Menu" was stuck in Preware prior to the 1.4.5 Update. Still haven't found a way to remove this from the preware list without wiping the complete phone with webOS Doctor.
    If anybody got an advice i would be happy to hear it.

In the meantime i have to accept that "update all" won't work for me in preware.

Quote Originally Posted by michote View Post
    I updated my german Pre to 1.4.5 yesterday and had the described Problem with GestureClick Context Menu.

fixed it for me.
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    First I'd like to apologize because of my hiatus I have neglected known flaws in AUPT for too long. Although with the great development of the Save/Restore system started by rwhitby, I believe the worst case scenario will be very manageable.

Ok, so here's the deal. Patches that touch multiple packages will not be able to remove/update after an OTA, iff the OTA doesn't update all or none of those packages. These "problem" patches will be in a half-installed half-removed state and there's nothing in AUPT logic that can get it out of this state.

Luckily there aren't a ton of these packages but to avoid this scenario I must recommend you remove the following patches prior to OTA update while using AUPT version 4 or before.

• GestureClick Context Menu
    • KeyToss Keyword Search
    • Enable Verizon aGPS Server for Improved GPS
    • Multi Mod
    • SMS Tone per Contact
    • SMS Tone per Contact v2
    • No Auto-Off While Charging
    • Scrim Multi
    • Scrim Multi v2
    • Scrim Multi o2
    • Scrim Multi o2 v2
    • Scrim Multi Verizon
    • Scrim Multi Verizon v2
    • Scrim System Screens

I apologize to the patch authors in advance for the inevitable barage of questions they will receive due to my oversight.

What to do if you have updated with a problem patch installed:

If anyone updates with one of the problem patches installed, I believe the best solution will be to use save/restore to save your patches list. Then install EPR to wipe all patches (or webos doctor). Then use save/restore to restore the patches.
    I deleted all the patches listed, now just waiting for next WebOS release. Thanks so much for the info!
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    First I'd like to apologize because of my hiatus I have neglected known flaws in AUPT for too long...

...I apologize to the patch authors in advance for the inevitable barage of questions they will receive due to my oversight...
    I think most of us appreciate the great service you provide to the community and feel you have no need to apologize, but way to man-up! ...Class Act!
    FrankenPre2!!!
    would the command line & uscl memo patches b included on this list?
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    1) In Preware Saved Packages List, hit Update to make sure it has the current list of installed packages.

2) In Save/Restore, save the application data for Preware, just in case.

3) In Preware, run EPR

4) In Preware, run EFV to confirm everything is removed

5) Accept the webOS 1.4.5 update

6) In Preware, go to the Saved Packages List, and re-install the packages. Don't hit update, or it will clear your list.

7) If for some reason, the Saved Packages List is not there, you can restore it from Save/Restore.

-- Rod
    Rod,

In a test run of your procedures listed here, everything seemed to work pretty well until I went back into Preware after restoring the patches from Preware Saved Packages. It is now taking inordinately long times to download the feed information (on my second attempt- sitting at about 30 minutes of loading now). Upon the first opening of Preware after the patch re-install, Preware does not show any available applications or updates. It also appears that about 10 patches disappeared into nothingness.

The attached screen shot shows the end of the error that pops up after the feeds download.

Is something now corrupted in my Preware files? Is this a foolproof way up backing up and restoring my patches? If so, am I a fool?

edit; Upon a 3rd restart of the phone, I have the "available packages" back again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scottw911; 07/05/2010 at 02:33 PM.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Should I take the same plan of action (save/restore) with patches that did not make it to PW/QI?

Specifically these 3:
    Date As Carrier String but w/o the year.
    Pandora Vibrate (advance track)
    No Snooze For Banner

Will these most likely be "broken" with the update?
    Now I know why I have never been able to fully delete the Scrim Multi, as I updates OTA to 1.4.1 with it installed...thankfully I have over the course of the last couple weeks been introduced to Save/Restore and EPR, and look forward to trying this out once 1.4.5 is released.

BTW, can any answer this - Does Save/Restore work with patches/apps if you web doctor? I have never tried. THanks
    The "flaw" is that AUPT was designed for patches that touch a single palm package (knowing that palm updates packages as atomic units), but we have unwittingly allowed authors to create 14 patches that touch multiple packages in the one patch, and therefore fall outside the current design limits of AUPT.

Note that if palm updated none of the touched packages, or if palm updated all of the touched packages, then the patch would update perfectly. The problem only occurs when palm updates one of the affected packages but not another. This condition will be different for different webOS releases.

Note that re-architecting AUPT to handle multiple package updates by a single patch is not a trivial thing, so is not likely to be fixed in the short term future (and maybe not even in the medium term). So anyone saying "I hope this is fixed soon" should not hold their breath while waiting

We may simply decide to ask the authors of these patches to split them into multiple patches that only touch one package each, and remove from the feed any that don't meet those constraints.

-- Rod
    I can certainly understand why these mutlipatches exit how about patches can be donloaded simaltanius and be groiped as one entry in the feed, but actually be several

>i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
    This certainly seems reasonable. There aren't all that many patches that need to touch more than one package. Patches that touch multiple packages to do multiple things ought to be split up anyway, and any remaining ones that have to touch multiple packages to accomplish a single function can be made into multiple patches with dependencies on each other so they will all be installed at once.

It's certainly much better than having to deal with the consequences of these multi-package patches. I've had the "no auto-off while charging" patch stuck half-installed on my phone since the 1.4.1.1 update a couple of months ago. Once I heard about the 1.4.5 update coming up, I decided to just wait for that and EPR as soon as I see it's available, then update clean and re-install needed patches.

Preware and the ecosystem around it is very polished and professional. Ill-behaved patches and packages simply shouldn't be allowed. Any patch/package that can't meet the requirements should be relegated to other means of installation so as not to besmirch the Preware user experience.
    So, any patches that modify two or more files need be be removed prior to the update?
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    So, any patches that modify two or more files need be be removed prior to the update?
    Two or more packages, not files. See the first page of this thread.

-- Rod
    Two or more packages, not files. See the first page of this thread.

-- Rod
    I think one more should be added to the list. If this source is correct, then the patch to send Audio/Video through Messaging needs to be deleted.
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Note that re-architecting AUPT to handle multiple package updates by a single patch is not a trivial thing, so is not likely to be fixed in the short term future (and maybe not even in the medium term). So anyone saying "I hope this is fixed soon" should not hold their breath while waiting

-- Rod
    Rod,

Building on this, could the dependency tracking functionality of Preware be utilized? I'm thinking a patch that modifies three packages would be separated in to 4 patches - one for each modified package, and a "parent" patch that does nothing except depend upon the other 3.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I updated to 1.4.5 last week and didn't remove a single patch - worked like charme.

Cheers
    Vince
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaul420 View Post
    BTW, can any answer this - Does Save/Restore work with patches/apps if you web doctor? I have never tried. THanks
    Yes, I did it to my buddy's Pre last week and Save/Restore and the Preware List worked flawlessly.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast