1.    #1  
    Now I understand it was a kinda rash decision, but I installed new OS update and in the end got most of patches not fuctioning.

For instance, Uberkernel, ringer switch off and so on

I see them installed in the preware, can uninstall them but can not install them again.

On the other hand, some remained working, like uberCalendar, messaging plugins etc.

Please help me solve this to the extent that is possible for now.

Thanks in advance.
    If I were you, I would honestly WebOSDoctor back to 1.4.1(.1/.3) and re-setup your phone the way you had it, and then wait until everything you want has been updated for 1.4.5.

The other alternative is to remove all patches that aren't working (I would even remove the ones you think are working), reinstall the ones available for 1.4.5, and then wait as updates roll out for the others.

Personally I have no plans to update for at least a few weeks. My phone works very well right now and I've heard nothing about 1.4.5 that makes me feel like screwing it all up ASAP.

edit: Usually there are 'placeholder' patches that you can install so Preware will notify you of new updates as they are released.
    you must be patient,,that is normal,they will work once they are updated
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
    When looking at your patches in Preware look at the version number. If the version # ends in "-0" that means that particular patch hasn't been made compatible with the new OS version yet and is just a placeholder for when it is.

Leave the placeholder package in place, and when the patch is updated for the new WebOS version it will show as an update. then you just install the update, and you're good to go.

Any time there's an OS update, it takes a little while to get all the patches up to date. Considering how many patches there are I think the Internals guys do a freakin' fantastic job getting everything up to date very quickly. However, it still takes some time.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Quote Originally Posted by st1512 View Post
    Now I understand it was a kinda rash decision, but I installed new OS update and in the end got most of patches not fuctioning.

For instance, Uberkernel, ringer switch off and so on

I see them installed in the preware, can uninstall them but can not install them again.

On the other hand, some remained working, like uberCalendar, messaging plugins etc.

Please help me solve this to the extent that is possible for now.

Thanks in advance.
    What carrier did you install it for? Sprint?
  7.    #7  
    Actually, I'm using it in Russia, it's a GSM qwertz device and I don't even know what was it's original operator (I bought it from one guy here, in Moscow), model name I see in device info is P100UEU, Carier - ROW. It has been working quite well until recently)
    So, will try to doctor it, although haven't tried that before)

Many thanks to all. Next time will be more patient. By the way, haven't noticed significant difference so far)
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    If I were you, I would honestly WebOSDoctor back to 1.4.1(.1/.3) and re-setup your phone the way you had it, and then wait until everything you want has been updated for 1.4.5.

The other alternative is to remove all patches that aren't working (I would even remove the ones you think are working), reinstall the ones available for 1.4.5, and then wait as updates roll out for the others.

Personally I have no plans to update for at least a few weeks. My phone works very well right now and I've heard nothing about 1.4.5 that makes me feel like screwing it all up ASAP.

edit: Usually there are 'placeholder' patches that you can install so Preware will notify you of new updates as they are released.
    I absolutely agree with you.....I would go a step further and block the update so it doesn't happen randomly for you and that gives you more than enough time to make your decision
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    When looking at your patches in Preware look at the version number. If the version # ends in "-0" that means that particular patch hasn't been made compatible with the new OS version yet and is just a placeholder for when it is.

Leave the placeholder package in place, and when the patch is updated for the new WebOS version it will show as an update. then you just install the update, and you're good to go.
    And it even says all that in the description of the -0 package in Preware

I'm always amazed how people find the time to go to PreCentral and post a new message before even bothering to read the package description.

Any time there's an OS update, it takes a little while to get all the patches up to date. Considering how many patches there are I think the Internals guys do a freakin' fantastic job getting everything up to date very quickly. However, it still takes some time.
    Actually, we mostly rely on the patch authors to do the update for the patches have have significant changes required. We do the simple ones first.

BTW, the 1.4.5 update went flawlessly for me.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post

You probably should delete this post tobias. It will just confuse people, and some of it is just incorrect.
    Yeah I'll get right on that sparky. :-)
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Despite all the frustration and extra work dealing with the homebrew patches, I have really enjoyed my pre. I just really don't understand how Palm expects to ever compete or even keep webos alive when so many of the most basic options are only available through patches. I have over 100 patches loaded and can't think of any that should not just be a configuration option built into Webos and the standard apps to begin with. This is not a criticism of the Homebrew community... they do amazing things. This is a direct criticism of Palm however. And, where the heck is voice activation on this thing? I mean really.... I have a video camera on this, and not the voice activation that was available on "dumb" phones fifteen years ago.... REALLY?

Oh yeah.... and one more webos update, and despite everyone saying that I only need to remove my theme, none of the patches are working so, once again I will spend the entire weekend trying to get my phone back to where it was on Friday. Don't know of any of my friends with iphones, androids, etc. complaining of this.... and considering that my provider, Sprint, seems to no longer be on the list for future Webos devices.... guess I'll be off the platform as soon as the pre blows up.... oh well.
    CrazyGus lives inside my head!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtclosson View Post
    Despite all the frustration and extra work dealing with the homebrew patches, I have really enjoyed my pre. I just really don't understand how Palm expects to ever compete or even keep webos alive when so many of the most basic options are only available through patches. I have over 100 patches loaded and can't think of any that should not just be a configuration option built into Webos and the standard apps to begin with. This is not a criticism of the Homebrew community... they do amazing things. This is a direct criticism of Palm however. And, where the heck is voice activation on this thing? I mean really.... I have a video camera on this, and not the voice activation that was available on "dumb" phones fifteen years ago.... REALLY?

Oh yeah.... and one more webos update, and despite everyone saying that I only need to remove my theme, none of the patches are working so, once again I will spend the entire weekend trying to get my phone back to where it was on Friday. Don't know of any of my friends with iphones, androids, etc. complaining of this.... and considering that my provider, Sprint, seems to no longer be on the list for future Webos devices.... guess I'll be off the platform as soon as the pre blows up.... oh well.
    I think you meant to post this in the general complaints thread.
    And have you got evidence that sprint is no longer a carrier partner? Because if you have I sure bet precentral would like to know

Also if it takes you that long to get your patches back after an OS update, you are doing something wrong. I had the update done and my patches back in under an hour on my last OTA.

Pip
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Hey Pip... thanks for the reply.... I posted it here because it related to problems with the new update.

Sprint is no longer carrying the Pre (at least not the new one)... sure they might continue with some webos, but unless it's one that's better than the Pre (and I'm not interested in the pixi) then where do I go from here?

And on the update patch issue... so I've done my update... now what do I do? I'm sure it's obvious to folks who spend hours out here because I'm sure there directions on runding webos doctor this or that.... believe it or not, I'm looking for a product that will take care of all of this without forcing me into becoming a programmer again (did that back in the day.... and honestly I don't want to have to be that smart just to use a phone). The PHONE is supposed to be SMART so that I don't have to.

Thanks again for your help!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtclosson View Post
    Hey Pip... thanks for the reply.... I posted it here because it related to problems with the new update.

Sprint is no longer carrying the Pre (at least not the new one)... sure they might continue with some webos, but unless it's one that's better than the Pre (and I'm not interested in the pixi) then where do I go from here?

And on the update patch issue... so I've done my update... now what do I do? I'm sure it's obvious to folks who spend hours out here because I'm sure there directions on runding webos doctor this or that.... believe it or not, I'm looking for a product that will take care of all of this without forcing me into becoming a programmer again (did that back in the day.... and honestly I don't want to have to be that smart just to use a phone). The PHONE is supposed to be SMART so that I don't have to.

Thanks again for your help!
    I don't think HP / Palm will shun any carriers when their new phone comes out. But it will certainly be interested to see who are the early carriers and what the exclusivity deals are. I should imagine Sprint will be in there somewhere.

Anyway when OTA updating the process I go through is:
    1)Do the back up app
    2)Update the saved package list in preware and then run the save/restore app. Also copy the saverestore folder from the usb folder to the pc.
    These are both precautionary measures.

3)Check I have no patches that are not fully aupt compliant, if I have such a patch then uninstall it.
    4)Run the update.
    5)Your patches should be gone
    6)Open Preware, update feeds, it should show a load of updates for your patches install them. Also reinstall any patches you uninstalled at step 3. Luna restart

7)If you find you have a patch that won't update then this likely one of the patches that should have been removed.
    Just use the emergency patch recovery.
    Then re-install all your patches by using the saved package feature and hitting install all.

Pip
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Yep.... so I did everything on your list Pip, except when I went into Preware, there was only one of my 106 patches waiting there as an update.... and it wasn't even one I cared about or even remember loading.... so, as I said, I'll be spending the bulk of my weekend reloading all these patches..... I guess I should ask the rest of the world (since they all have iphones, droids, etc.) what they go thru.... oh... but they don't have to load patches to get the normal options..... again, this is not a bash on the Homebrewers... if not for them, I would have abandonded this pre long ago....

I sitting here trying to think of even one of these patches that is so EXTREME that it shouldn't just be an option on the specific app or the webos in general and..... nope.... can't think of one!

I'll shut up now and get to reloading these patches....... later.