1.    #1  
    I've never bothered to post before, I always find that someone else has posted the same questions I have and usually with a bit of searching I can avoid asking a question the answer to which is already there.

Ive searched through the forums for a few days, and haven't found what I'm looking for.

Is there any way to dictate what shows among your dashboard icons and what doesn't?

I have been using several apps that run in the background all the time, with the small icon at the bottom of the dashboard. I only very rarely need to interact with these apps but need to have them running. If I swipe the notification away it of course closes the app and ceases its functionality.

Is there any way to selectively hide certain icons in a sort of dashboard management app or patch? I still want dashboard notifications for SMS voicemails and such, but I want the apps I run hidden from view until the rare occasion once a month I need to interact with them.

If there isn't already a solution, is there anyone willing to write a patch or app? Its certainly one I would be willing to pay for in the app catalog.
    This functionality is the sort of thing that the app developer would have to code into the app. For example, in Preferences they could create an option saying:

• Keep Running in the Background? YES/NO
    • Show Dashboard Icon? YES/NO

As an end-user I'm afraid you don't have any control over this, unless the app developer specifically gives you this option. There's currently no way to achieve what you're after (that I know of), but perhaps this is a good time to appeal to developers to allow us to choose whether or not we'd like to see the dashboard icon or not.

PS. I don't think a workaround could be implemented as a patch, sorry.
  3.    #3  
    Thats exactly what I was afraid of.

It was worth asking though.

I definitely think it should be a "best practice" for app developers to add that very functionality.

Cheers!