Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1.    #1  
    Sorry if this has been posted before... but with the upcoming 1.4.5 WebOS update, is it recommended that I uninstall the patches that I have added via Preware?

    Thanks.

    Jim
  2. #2  
  3. tejoe's Avatar
    Posts
    156 Posts
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    #3  
    nope
  4. #4  
    Let me just not search
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  5. #5  

    Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

    Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Let me just not search
    If you are referring to my asking a quick, pertinent question (and soon to be wondered by many folks most likely... at least newbies to Preware)... what's the point of these forums then? I've been on many forums before... I know about forum etiquette etc.

    FWIW, I did do a search and it came up with 191 posts/threads, none of which had any real titles that gave any indication of an answer to my question. Hence I asked. Perhaps I should have prefaced my question with "I did a search but...

    Do you really expect folks to search through almost 200 conversations to get a simple yes or no answer? Sorry if I bothered you.

    Thanks to all that replied quickly with an answer... I appreciate it.

    I'll go climb back down in my hole now...
  7. #7  
    The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked

    I agree the search function for the P|C forums does suck. personally I change it to search titles and not the actual threads.

    Remember folks, as we grow the forums become diluted with information, and it becomes harder and harder to find that one post with the answer you are looking for. Let's all be good P|C members and help each other out.

    Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

    Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
  8. #8  
    +1. I hate to say it, but I guess everyone is on egde. Some mad cause the absent update,lack of flash,hardware issues,software issues etc.... Iam sitting here like get over it people. I say one thing wrong or misspell a word and I get jumped on like a I was getting initiated into a gang. Loosen up people, in the end it's just a PHONE!!!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by JGriff View Post
    you really expect folks to search through almost 200 conversations to get a simple yes or no answer? Sorry if I bothered you.
    The only problem with this is that most things are not a simple yes or no, a read of a good long thread is usually needed before you truly understand.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    The only problem with this is that most things are not a simple yes or no, a read of a good long thread is usually needed before you truly understand.
    For a really involved topic such as overclocking I'd agree. However, this one only requires a simple answer from any of our thousands of forum members who are more than willing to help.

    Those that typically say "use the search?" already know the answer and could have easily spent just an extra minute or two to post a link to the right thread.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by cr_8_tiv View Post
    For a really involved topic such as overclocking I'd agree. However, this one only requires a simple answer from any of our thousands of forum members who are more than willing to help.

    Those that typically say "use the search?" already know the answer and could have easily spent just an extra minute or two to post a link to the right thread.
    I'd agree... if talking about overclocking etc., it would require a much more detailed answer and scrutiny of the forum threads to understand before proceeding. However, for patches, I was thinking that the answer might have been simply either "yes" or "no"... or "you should be all set... the install should go fine", or "it is recommended that you uninstall all... and then reinstall after the update".

    Thanks again everyone.
  12. #12  
    you do not have to uninstall patches.. But I don't know if you have to your uninstall your oc kernel. Any answers?? PLEASE DON't JUMP ON ME AHHHHHHHH
  13. ahitz's Avatar
    Posts
    412 Posts
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    #13  
    While patches and the non-alpha kernels are AUPT update-safe, it has been recommended that you don't immediately update to 1.4.5, but instead watch @webosinternals on twitter to get status updates first.

    If you're using anything in alpha testing, then you have of course read the threads on those and know if you must remove those before updating or not.
    Last edited by ahitz; 06/29/2010 at 02:42 PM.
  14. #14  
    i always do searches first. unfortunately, if it's a question that's been asked many times before, it just brings back a string of results where the majority of the results are "do a search" or "can you not use the search feature?"

    i think search is only good for a certain amount of time before the forums get diluted rwith the "do a search" results.

    Personally, i think if you aren't going to answer the question, don't bother posting... you're just making it harder for OTHER people to try to search for solutions.

    BTW, the answer is yes, you should remove all patches prior to updating, otherwise, you may suffer unintended consequences which are tough to troubleshoot since most people have different patches installed and experiences may vary.
  15. ahitz's Avatar
    Posts
    412 Posts
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by turbooxide View Post
    BTW, the answer is yes, you should remove all patches prior to updating, otherwise, you may suffer unintended consequences which are tough to troubleshoot since most people have different patches installed and experiences may vary.
    The whole point of AUPT is that you don't have to do this.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by cr_8_tiv View Post
    For a really involved topic such as overclocking I'd agree. However, this one only requires a simple answer from any of our thousands of forum members who are more than willing to help.

    Those that typically say "use the search?" already know the answer and could have easily spent just an extra minute or two to post a link to the right thread.
    I slightly disagree. If you are using a technology, in this case AUPT, then you should have a basic understanding of what it is and what it allows.
    In this case, if only a simple yes or no was given then the user would not be aware of the risks that are still presented.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    The whole point of AUPT is that you don't have to do this.
    Hmmm.. so I suppose there is no simple "y/n" answer to the OP's question then. It's all dependent on whether or not you have AUPT installed. Yes if you don't have it, No if you do. Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with Preware development lately.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by turbooxide View Post
    Hmmm.. so I suppose there is no simple "y/n" answer to the OP's question then. It's all dependent on whether or not you have AUPT installed. Yes if you don't have it, No if you do. Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with Preware development lately.

    I don't think you understand what AUPT is. It is built in to all patches that are installed in Preware and is not a separate package.
    But it still remains that the answer to the OP's question is NOT a simple yes or no.
  19. ahitz's Avatar
    Posts
    412 Posts
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by turbooxide View Post
    Hmmm.. so I suppose there is no simple "y/n" answer to the OP's question then. It's all dependent on whether or not you have AUPT installed. Yes if you don't have it, No if you do.
    I suggest you read the link earlier in this thread on what AUPT is and how it works.


    Quote Originally Posted by turbooxide View Post
    Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with Preware development lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbooxide View Post
    Personally, i think if you aren't going to answer the question CORRECTLY, don't bother posting...
    I fixed it for you
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    I suggest you read the link earlier in this thread on what AUPT is and how it works.






    I fixed it for you
    Are you done?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions