1.    #1  
    Not even sure if it's possible, but could someone make a patch so the Pre will connect to ANY open wifi network? I leave my wifi on at all times, and hate that it only connects to known networks. For instance, walk into a McDonalds and get some lunch; while eating you browse the web. Instead of having to load the wifi preferences and pick a network (or do it from the drop-down menu), it automatically connects to the open network when a signal is available. This could be a battery saver for those in poor tower range, but near a hot-spot (in a mall perhaps?)
    On the other hand it would be a giant security risk, since you never know what hotspot it connects to, until you look at it. Perfect man-in-the-middle scenario.
    'til we meet again.
    THL
    There are also wifi's like hotels where they are open but require a username and password so you actually connect to the network but never have a data connection.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by THL View Post
    On the other hand it would be a giant security risk, since you never know what hotspot it connects to, until you look at it. Perfect man-in-the-middle scenario.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    There are also wifi's like hotels where they are open but require a username and password so you actually connect to the network but never have a data connection.

True and true, but 1) I doubt anyone is interested in hacking my 500MHz phone, and 2) If someone is of the "hacking type" they most likely won't leave their network open because they realize the security risks.

Public wifi is available in so many places now, that I'd like to not have to go through, find the network, and tell it to connect on my own...
    Mine automatically connects to wifi where I work, but you have to bring up the browser and tap on the "agree to terms" screen before you have any usefull access.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    I'm working on something to address places that require only you agree to terms (no login/password, just a clickthrough), and may be asking for people to submit the login pages of various places soon in order to help me get it right.

Basically, just an ifup script that looks to see if going to a site is really that site, or a login site. If it is a login site, it will just 'click' the submit button automatically, ensuring that while connected to a hotspot, we really are connected.
    : (){:|:&};:
    mine connects to any open wifi rright now,with no patch.
    I would rather have a patch that would tell you there is a Wifi available by flashing the Wifi symbol. That would be cool.
    I connected to an open Linksys once. Now any open Linksys router is on the known list. If I leave WiFi on while walking around the city it will pick up signals. I don't do it normally, as 3G is great in SF, but I've forgotten to turn off WiFi when outside, and I'll be surprised when it connects.
  10.    #10  
    If the WSID is the same, it will automatically connect. But when you go to places where they actually name their networks, you have to connect manually.