1.    #1  
    Hello all, I am wondering how to go about creating patches, I know that webOS is based heavily off of Linux/JSJSJS. $I$ $used$ $the$ $command$ $line$ $in$ $the$ $QuickInstall$ $tool$ $but$ $that$ $was$ $very$ $limited$ $and$ $didn$'$t$ $let$ $me$ $do$ $much$. $Is$ $there$ $a$ $way$ $to$ $terminal$ $into$ $your$ $phone$ $to$ $create$ $a$ $patch$? $or$ $some$ $kind$ $of$ $tool$ $used$? $Thank$ $you$ $in$ $advanced$. *$bow$*
    The easiest way I know of is using Jason R's great tool from here: http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...f-creator.html

All you need is the original file, your modified file and "click" you have a .patch file.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Quote Originally Posted by producingyou View Post
    Hello all, I am wondering how to go about creating patches, I know that webOS is based heavily off of Linux/JSJSJS. $I$ $used$ $the$ $command$ $line$ $in$ $the$ $QuickInstall$ $tool$ $but$ $that$ $was$ $very$ $limited$ $and$ $didn$'$t$ $let$ $me$ $do$ $much$. $Is$ $there$ $a$ $way$ $to$ $terminal$ $into$ $your$ $phone$ $to$ $create$ $a$ $patch$? $or$ $some$ $kind$ $of$ $tool$ $used$? $Thank$ $you$ $in$ $advanced$. *$bow$*
    If you want to create a new patch then this post is a simple explanation http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2251453
    Remeber that you can submit your patch so that it can be used in Preware and wosqi.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    If you want to create a new patch then this post is a simple explanation http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2251453
    Remeber that you can submit your patch so that it can be used in Preware and wosqi.

Thank you for the response however I don't see the option to grab the "original files" / "ROM" from the webOSDoctor...am I missing something?
    Quote Originally Posted by producingyou View Post
    Thank you for the response however I don't see the option to grab the "original files" / "ROM" from the webOSDoctor...am I missing something?
    The Doctor can be opened using WinRAR or WinZip and you will have access to all the files...

or you can use WebOSQuickInstall to pull copies off the phone directly...

or you can use Internalz to send copies of the files to your Pre's USB (/media/internal) partition and then pull them off the phone that way.
  6.    #6  
    Hey would you look at that! Thank you for the quick responses.

Do I grab the "nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz"
    I don't recall off the top of my head, but that sounds right... when you open it you should see the main Pre root file structure, ie...

/bin
    /boot
    /dev
    /dspbridge
    /etc

etc... If so, you've got the right file.
  8.    #8  
    Ok, looks like I got it (see attached)

Now to actually start trying to figure out WHERE files are that should be changed lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Yup, that's it.

I have found that searching (Windows) has saved me a bunch of time when trying to find the files and folders for whatever screen or app I'm looking for. WebOS actually does seem to have some sense in the file naming conventions. haha
  10.    #10  
    I'll try that if I get frustrated, but like I said, I know Linux very well so I'm hoping as I drill down I might even find some stuff I didn't know I was looking for.

First interesting note, there's no "cd" command in /bin