Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How awesome would it be to have the ability to remap the center button to launch a favorite app? Pressing it would push anything currently running into card view and maximize your favorite app. Personally I want my favorite app to be the phone app. I really think it would be super convenient to press center button and launch the phone. An added bonus would be to free up the wave bar for one more quick launch icon. What do you think? Has anyone seen anything that can do this or is there a simple patch out there that can make the center button launch the phone app?

Thanks
  2.    #2  
    How awesome would it be to have the ability to remap the center button to launch a favorite app? Pressing it would push anything currently running into card view and maximize your favorite app. Personally I want my favorite app to be the phone app. I really think it would be super convenient to press center button and launch the phone. An added bonus would be to free up the wave bar for one more quick launch icon. What do you think? Has anyone seen anything that can do this or is there a simple patch out there that can make the center button launch the phone app?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    I don't have a center button. It's just a light.
    Welcome to our world, we are the wasted youth, and we are the future too.
    http://diegoeatspandas.tumblr.com/ <--Tumblr<3 Follow.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Heh, I see this topic come up all the time and it's always the same answer. Unfortunately since the Pixi and Pre Plus phones have launched there's been no center button... the code for it is buried deep in WebOS and cannot be accessed through patching.. and it's unlikely that it will ever be.

I do agree it would be cool though! I would like to see it as a sort of 'alt' button, like clicking+holding the button, then hitting volume keys, or power button, or even keys on the keyboard would do assignable shortcuts/app launches... Ah well.
    Is it even a mappable button?
    Does the Pre+ have this center button you talk of.
    If the center button woke up the screen and turned it off when the screen was on, it would be full of win. Also, if it snapped to the notification that was currently blinking, it would even more win.
    I agree that this is a very under-utilized control. Given its prominence as the device's only "hard" button, it should really have seen more action.

I actually had a crazy idea: use the proximity sensor as another "button" control. That would be another great way to bring up the phone. That's the one app that really does need to be more immediately accessible.
    i would really like it if hitting the center button could be used to wake up the phone & then drag the icon to unlock it. instead of hitting power to wake up the phone. that would be an awesome patch/app imo.
    I don't think that's possible right now.
    Its not possible. I've been looking for patch like that shortly after I got my pre on launch day last June...
    Current SDK doesn't allow customized access to that center button.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  12.    #12  
    I'm very disappointed about this news. Palm realized the button is stupid, that's why it's removed from the PrePlus. Oh well. It made sense in my head.
    Well, yeah, for good reason. It's a prominent control interface that simply wasn't implemented well. What I would've loved in its place would be a trackpoint-style input (an "eraser mouse" like you see on some laptops) to provide cursor control like the old 5-way did on the Treos. This would've salvaged the usefulness of a lot of old Classic apps.
  14. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Ever since the Pre Plus came out, I've weened myself off of using the center button, in anticipation of my next Palm phone :-)
    recently got a pre... Took me 4 hrs to realize I was ready for 800 mhz and a couple days to figure out the center button = waist of space.. BUT, If it purpose was solely to wake up and turn off screen.. Then I'd love it. Otherwise I'd rather have a plus..
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    can the code be altered through uberkernel? That is my question.
    What do y'all use to switch applications? I use the center button all the time for that...so I know I must be missing some basic WebOS knowledge...
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    swiping up from the gesture area is easy and quicker

Quote Originally Posted by itsyvonne View Post
    What do y'all use to switch applications? I use the center button all the time for that...so I know I must be missing some basic WebOS knowledge...
    The Pre has a physical center button, the Pre plus has a touch sensitive center section. Same thing minus the physical look or click sound.

[()] same to [-] same.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by itsyvonne View Post
    advanced gestures and slide finger all the way across.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast