Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am just a simple guy without any programming expertise, but with a simple desire to minimize that annoying momentary lag in my Pre Plus performance. I have been trying my best to read thru all the talk about overclocking and related patches, but most goes over my head. Let me ask you all this, is patching to speed up the processor a safe procedure, and how easy is it to end up bricking my phone in the attempt? Will I get the extra performance I desire, and what effect will that have on my battery life?

Sorry, I know these have been discussed ad nausea in many different threads, but I am looking for a summary of current understanding. I already have WebOSQuickInstall, webOSDoctor, and Preware unstalled and working. Through these I already have about a dozen patches and a few other home brew mods on the phone.
    1. How esay is it to brick your device?
    Answer. Don't know since nobody has bricked their device so far. So I'm thinking its not very easy to do, I certainly haven't bricked mine so far. Also with the Uberkernel you get the added fail safes of it being OTA update safe

2.will you get the extra performance
    simply yes, I did

3.Effect on battery life
    Very little if any, most people report that the 3g radios in the phone are the biggest drain on battery life and that overclocking the cpu has little effect on battery life.

Hope this helps.
    It is as easy as installing any other patch or app through preware. Just search for govnah and uberkernal. I have never heard of a situation where it has messed up anyone's phone. I also heard that it is not possible to brick your pre since web os doctor treats everything.
    I noticed that it helps with battery life when I use screenstate and 125 with the screen turned off (Only when the phone is not in use) Otherwise the battery drain is the same while I browse websites.
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    ...no problems at all? Wow. I'm not really denying that it's possible, but jeez - you expect SOME kind of side effect(s)...

These will both have to be removed prior to an official OTA update, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    ...no problems at all? Wow. I'm not really denying that it's possible, but jeez - you expect SOME kind of side effect(s)...

These will both have to be removed prior to an official OTA update, right?
    The only side effect I'm aware of is that some people's pres do not like being underclocked to say 125 or 250, sometimes get freezes. But that's a pre by pre case. But apart from that I havnt heard of any problems from uber kernel or govnah.

No you do not need to remove before an update, that is the beauty of them, they are OTA update safe. However it is likely that the kernel will have to be updated to work after the next update, but knowing the skil of webos internals that won't take long.
    <Derik Zoolander voice>... Do it!

Seriously, the homebrewers build rock-solid stuff. Nothing but good results. UberKernel and Govna will rock your world, and it's easy.

Do it! <end celebrity voice>
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    And they can be installed just right there through PreWare?

I just installed Govnah through PreWare but I'm gonna back up all my pix prior to installing the Uberkernel.

Anything else we need to do?
  8.    #8  
    Thanks all! After seeing all the warnings about voiding warranty, etc, naturally I have been timid about uberkernel and govnah. However, the momentary dead lags have been annoying, to put it mildly, especially when typing. Also I noticed that jpgs take a while to fully render. Hoping to smooth things out a bit without killing an already anemic battery. Will let you guys know how I faired in a day.
    And they can be installed just right there through PreWare?

I just installed Govnah through PreWare but I'm gonna back up all my pix prior to installing the Uberkernel.

Anything else we need to do?
    Install according to the UberKernel and Govnah instrutions. Govna controls the speed of the kernel.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...rclocking.html

I usually just run it at full 800mhz and see no battery issues. Sometimes I'll change it to screen state at 500/800.

I never run slower than 500 (stock speed) because there were reports of an occasional race condition when trying to go from a slow speed to a high speed that apparently affected battery life...
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Install according to the UberKernel and Govnah instrutions. Govna controls the speed of the kernel.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...rclocking.html

I usually just run it at full 800mhz and see no battery issues. Sometimes I'll change it to screen state at 500/800.

I never run slower than 500 (stock speed) because there were reports of an occasional race condition when trying to go from a slow speed to a high speed that apparently affected battery life...
    Thanx! To summarize/quote what I found via your link, I should be able to just install the Uberkernel from PreWare:

"To install or update the Uber-Kernel, just make sure you are running the latest version of Preware or Preware Alpha, and then update your feeds and type "uber" on the main screen to find it. You can find the companion Govnah application the same way. No need for installation manuals or cinematic videos, just click to install in Preware and you're done."
    I think you then have to install uberkernel. Not sure because it's been a while since I did it...

oh, and get the patch that warns you when the battery temp gets to 45 dec C and shuts off at 50 deg (those might not be the right numbers...) so that if the phone gets hot, you know.

If you are driving down the road with the GPS on, streaming Pandora, with the phone on the dashboard in bright sunshine, plugged in to a charger - it's definitely going to heat up, even if it isn't overclocked. The battery warning patch is good to have...
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    does running in the 500/800 mode good for touchstone, at night i have my pre on the touchstone with timepiece running...is that going to over heat my phone or am i ok?
    Quote Originally Posted by mhuggins View Post
    does running in the 500/800 mode good for touchstone, at night i have my pre on the touchstone with timepiece running...is that going to over heat my phone or am i ok?
    Should be fine, but that's why you want that monitor patch...
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    Well, I'm up and running with the 500/800 screenstate - it really does make a huge difference. Times for a complete reboot are exactly the same (a whopping 4:40) before and after the overclock, but the phone is so noticeably faster it's incredible.

I just changed over to use the 250/800 screenstate mode, but now I'm wondering... I use Stitcher or Dr. Podder OFTEN while I'm driving. Is 250Mhz enough to use these still while the screen is off?

And what temps are the guidelines here? 40 is normal with 45 being a tad bit hot and 50 being on fire?
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Should be fine, but that's why you want that monitor patch...
    Problem with the temp monitor patch is that when my Pre is on the touchstone, the Pre temp often reaches 45 - 46C, but never higher, even when running stock speed. I finally removed the temp patch because the thing would bing-bong incessantly while touchstone charging for an hour.

This might be a bit off topic, but what are everyone else's temp readings while touchstone charging?

Back on topic, Govnah and uber-kernel installed with abolutlely zero hitch yesterday, and I've been playing with it. Great stuff! Right now I have it running "conservative" mode setting at
    • 250 MHz - 800 MHz
    • sampling rate 0.7 sec
    • up threshold 75%
    • down threshold 20%
    • frequency step 25%

So far I have noticed a diminished battery drain at idle. No weird phenomenon with it at 250 MHz, but I have yet to observe it actually at 250. Even when I am looking at the Govnah, the clock is ticked up to 500.

Thanks, guys, for your encouragement for me to take this step.

Today I am about to play with screenstate mode, eventually with goal to set at 250 - 800. Will let you know if 250 is sufficient w/ screen off when I am streaming Pandora.
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    I use Stitcher or Dr. Podder OFTEN while I'm driving. Is 250Mhz enough to use these still while the screen is off?
    FWIW, I was using Dr. Podder on the way to work this morning and didn't notice even a slight hiccup. Everything seems to be running great.
    I have no temperature and I can't change my frequency to 800 Mhz. Why would that be? do I need have Govnah as well?
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by SuprHero View Post
    I have no temperature and I can't change my frequency to 800 Mhz. Why would that be? do I need have Govnah as well?
    You change frequency through the Govnah.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    ok this is my first full day of using 500/800/800 and no problems but have to ask does the govanor have to be on for the overclock to work....and yes I know it's a nubbie question but had to ask
    Quote Originally Posted by mhuggins View Post
    ok this is my first full day of using 500/800/800 and no problems but have to ask does the govanor have to be on for the overclock to work....and yes I know it's a nubbie question but had to ask
    You can close the card and it will still overclock your device if that's what you mean.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast