1.    #1  
    my old non smartphone had this ability...and it worked great.

Here's what I'm looking for and why-
    The other day I went to a buddy's house after work. He has no cell service at his home and many places around me don't. I was there about 5 hours. In that time my phone went totally dead because it was constantly trying to get a signal. My old phone would look for 5 minutes and then would go in to power save mode and stop searching UNTIL I turned the screen on. Then it would search again...screen goes back off and 5 minutes later it was back in power save mode. Power save mode basically made it stop searching for a signal until I touched the phone....That wasn't exactly it though...it would still search on its own like every half hour instead of constantly searching.
    +1
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

4.    #4  
    ok, thanks guys. I'm putting this in the other forum. Maybe I don't want it to go to airplane mode...just sort of the way I described it would be great, haha.
    Going to airplane mode doesnt really sound like a great idea to me. Next time you're at your buddy's house, just turn your phone off or put it in airplane mode yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Going to airplane mode doesnt really sound like a great idea to me. Next time you're at your buddy's house, just turn your phone off or put it in airplane mode yourself.
    I think the idea is that you may not always know if your in a dead zone and if the phone did it automatically it could save us from unexpectedly having a dead battery. I know some of my older dumbphones would do this.
  7.    #7  
    if you read the post you will see that it wasn't really airplane mode...it just stopped searching for service until I touched the phone.

Jason, your tip is great IF you remember to do it. I forgot when I got out of the car. Then it took me hours to get it charged back up to even turn it on. I had a post last week with that problem.

Finally, if they make the patch and you don't like it, don't use it.

I just was hoping to find something that puts your phone into a mode where it stops searching for service after a few minutes of trying and then only tries again sparingly or after you push a button. As I said, my Alias did this.
    I know how it feel man. I really on my phone for GPS, but at my gf dad's house, theres absolutely no signal, so i got lost for about 30mins and then got signal. Pretty much, it will be nice to have it kick into airplane mode or something like that when there's no signal. But hey, if you have Sprint, roaming is free.
    Quote Originally Posted by gblack View Post
    if you read the post you will see that it wasn't really airplane mode...it just stopped searching for service until I touched the phone.

Jason, your tip is great IF you remember to do it. I forgot when I got out of the car. Then it took me hours to get it charged back up to even turn it on. I had a post last week with that problem.

Finally, if they make the patch and you don't like it, don't use it.

I just was hoping to find something that puts your phone into a mode where it stops searching for service after a few minutes of trying and then only tries again sparingly or after you push a button. As I said, my Alias did this.
    I know I saw a patch out there that allowed you to turn on/off the phone radio (separate like you can for wifi, bluetooth, and gps), instead of using airplane mode to turn everything off and selectively turning it on. Maybe that patch writer can provide key details to help get your patch request off the ground.
    First, I don't like the idea of the phone going into a non-responsive mode until I touch the screen. What if I am driving through a "dead zone" with my phone in my holster. It stops searching for a signal, even after I have left the dead zone. I am not one who constantly whips out his cell phone just to see if I have a signal.

I think what might be useful would be to limit the signal searching. Instead of constantly trying to obtain a signal, have it drop to checking every 5 minutes or so. In fact, this could be user configurable, if I want it to check 10 times a minute and you want it to check 10 times an hour, we should be able to have it our way (ala Burger King ;-) ).

Quote Originally Posted by gblack View Post
    Jason, your tip is great IF you remember to do it. I forgot when I got out of the car. Then it took me hours to get it charged back up to even turn it on.
    If it took you hours to charge your phone back up to turn it on there is something wrong with your batter or your charger. Mine ran dead over the weekend. Plugged it into the car charger, got the lightening bolt and battery, 5 minutes later it was starting up (apparently it needs enough of a percentage of the battery charged to ensure it can make it all the way through the startup of the phone)..
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I need a patch like this so badly. At work I only get signal in certain areas of the plant. I'm constantly having to turn on/off 'Airplane mode' in order save battery life. A patch that did that automatically for me would be a dream come true. I don't care about it switching to 'Airplane mode', I just need my phone to stop looking for a signal constantly when there is no signal.