1.    #1  
    Hey all ---

I am new to this forum and to Palm Pre Plus, so please forgive me if I do something stupid. OTOH I'm a long time Palm user (E, E2, and TX) so I'm not entirely clueless. ;-)

Whenever someone calls in, the phone app activates -- thus activating the touch screen. Therefore, I am constantly answering phone calls accidentally when I try to drag the phone out of my pocket in order to see who's calling. I HATE this.

I neeeeeeeeeeeeeed a patch which will PREVENT incoming calls from activating the touch screen. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find one. Is there one out there that I haven't seen yet? Or can someone build one?? THANKS FOR ANY INFO!
    How can that happen if the screen is off when you put the phone in your pocket?

That's what the slider is for when you have to unlock the screen. Can you clarify what is happening?
    I know what he's talking about... if you grab the phone out of your pocket wrong you CAN inadvertently unlock AND answer the call...

I have just learned to be careful to pull the phone out by the edges when ringing. haha

As far as I know there is not a patch for this... I don't know if it's even possible.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Really? wouldn't that require you to slide your finger about 2" across the screen? Nothing in your pocket will simulate a finger (capacitive something-or-other) so unless you slide across the screen, I don't get it.

However, I do know that they function of the slider isn't something that can be patched other than to change the picture...
    You can unlock the phone with much less than 2" of screen travel... especially if you start from the gesture area. A quick flick is all it takes. haha
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    I agree, I have never had this issue pulling my Pre out of my pocket while answering a call.
    Well, since the screen lock can't be patched (other than changing it's appearance), you might want to consider some options...

1) put it ****-first into your pocket so your finger isn't travelling the direction needed to unlock.

2) put it ****-first in the little sleeping bag it came with. Slide it out just far enough to see who it is.

3) Get a free youmail.com account so you can ignore all calls and have it send you a txt telling you who called.

4) use a belt holster

5) keep it in your shirt pocket

6) don't put it in your pocket because you want everyone to see what a cool phone you have...

OK, that last one was just silly
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the input, even if you don't have better news for me!

This, unfortunately, is the problem with not having a hinged design. The touch screen is unprotected. With my TX, I had a nice hard case which opened when I needed to use it, without ever having to actually remove the TX from the case -- but since the Pre has the slider, you'd have to take it out of the case entirely during use. Why couldn't they just hinge the darned thing instead??

As for the helpful suggestions from Cantaffordit --

1) put it ****-first into your pocket so your finger isn't travelling the direction needed to unlock.
    -- I usually do, since I am usually listening to audiobooks while I walk around. Unfortunately, this does not prevent the fumble-phone-answers.

2) put it ****-first in the little sleeping bag it came with. Slide it out just far enough to see who it is.
    -- I've already lost the stupid bag, and I'd probably lose any other bag as well since I'd have to remove the Pre from the bag entirely in order to actually answer calls and such.

3) Get a free youmail.com account so you can ignore all calls and have it send you a txt telling you who called.
    -- I already use YouView, which I LOVE -- but there are many calls which I don't have the luxury of ignoring for later.

4) use a belt holster
    -- This is a possibility, but it just means that the screen would be even less protected than it is in my pocket. And, of course, I'd have to wear a belt. ;-)

5) keep it in your shirt pocket
    -- Mostly t-shirts here. No pocket!

6) don't put it in your pocket because you want everyone to see what a cool phone you have...
    -- I am hard on things. Farm work, gardening work, work with dogs, and so on. Things outside of pockets are likely to get well banged-up. In fact, when I switched from my old phone (my old LG finally got drowned a few weeks ago), I seriously considered one of the ruggedized models.

The best solution I can think of is to look around for some sort of hard case that actually covers the screen. It'll be darned inconvenient, but possibly better than what I'm doing now. I sure wish there was a patch, but thanks for the thought anyway!
    radio shack is closing out the palm leather case for under ten bucks!

replacement sleave avail on Amazon.com for 2.99

get a skinomi to protect the screen...
  10.    #10  
    I think I found something that will take care of my problem --

PDair Brown Leather Book-Style Case for Palm Pre

You get full access to the phone without removing the case, it protects the screen, and it's on sale for under $10. No more accidental phone-answering!