Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When dragging any element, system widget or the Launcher, there is a radius of 25 pixels before your drag goes into effect.

Once the radius has been exceeded, WebOS will jerk suddenly to meet your finger's location.

This large distance, and the subsequent sudden motion, reduce usability.
    Here is my try to fix this in a patch where I set the touch radius to 10px, 15px, 12px, or 8px.

User taps are IMHO registered normally but the dragging system is overall a bit more responsive. Mods can merge this with http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ag-radius.html just posted so people notice.

UPDATE 1 (2010-05-31): AVAILABLE IN PREWARE

UPDATE 2 (2010-06-01): Added variations for 8px, 10px, 12px, 15px

Ryhor
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ahsirg; 06/01/2010 at 09:55 AM.
    so this pretty much fixes the lag we all have?
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Honestly I can't believe this patch was so easy to create. Excellent job and thanks for the new thread. This really helps with the overall usability of the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    Honestly I can't believe this patch was so easy to create. Excellent job and thanks for the new thread. This really helps with the overall usability of the phone.
    yes it is, scrolling is much smoother now, its crazy to think a patch fixed this
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    yes it is, scrolling is much smoother now, its crazy to think a patch fixed this
    Really? I'm going to try this out! I've always wanted smooth scrolling

Any news if this patch will be added to Preware?
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for replies,
    for Preware I will submit asap if the patch proves to be useful and stable in this thread
    Nice, thank you.
    great patch. thanks
    Would there be any benefit to reducing the drag radius to something like 1px?
  10.    #10  
    No, because when you try to tap a button you slide your finger by somewhat 5-10 px, I found 8 to be already uncomfortable as it starts scrolling when I try to tap a button
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsirg View Post
    No, because when you try to tap a button you slide your finger by somewhat 5-10 px, I found 8 to be already uncomfortable as it starts scrolling when I try to tap a button
    Ah, didn't think about that! Thanks for testing out other drag radius sizes
    Wow this is an important patch! Thanks so much.

Edit: For the record, I have taken the value down to 7.5 pixels - it seems to be the sweet spot that works for me.
    Last edited by errade; 05/30/2010 at 03:00 PM.
    awesome! I'll put this baby on when I get the chance!
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Very Crisp. Nice work, thanks!
    hi. i cant see or understand the effect of this patch. can anyone open my eyes? thank you
    Reduces the delay (lag time) when scrolling, for example up or down in a web page. Scrolling before wouldn't start until your finger had passed 25 pixels. With this patch scrolling will start after passing 10 pixels.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    very slick! i should adjust my favorite patches vote! everything is noticibly more responsive now. This affects multiple areas of the UI, like pinch-to-zoom also.

I also lowered the radius to 8.
    Last edited by rlsroufe; 05/30/2010 at 04:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlsroufe View Post
    very slick! i should adjust my favorite patches vote! everything is noticibly more responsive now. This affects multiple areas of the UI, like pinch-to-zoom also.

I also lowered the radius to 8.

did you do that by changing +TapRadiusSquared= to 80?
    hi, I just installed this patch. What difference should I be seeing? I have the typical 800mhz overclocked, overpatched, themed Pre+ with 4x4 icons, etc etc.

As I scroll through launcher pages after the restart, it seems about the same to me. And that seems fine. Can you explain what problem this patch is solving, and how I can see the difference now that it is installed? Thanks!
    I notice it most in the Browser. Put a finger on the screen. Very slowly move it. Notice that the screen doesn't start to scroll right away? Without this patch, your finger needs to travel 25 pixels from the point where you initialy tapped for the screen to start scrolling.

This patch reduces that 25 pixels to only 10.
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast