Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  

Follow the Homebrew Instructions to install this patch. The patch developer has not provided a thread to explain how to use this patch or discuss it so here is a thread with the best information we have.

"This patch allows you to create a vCard file containing all your contacts, and then attach that file to an e-mail. WebOS does not offer a built-in way to export your contacts, so this seems to be the next best thing."

Once this patch is installed, you will have a new option in your Contacts application to Save All Via Email.

Your Facebook or Palm profiles may have phone numbers, birthdays, and other information that you wish you had on your PC email program. This patch allows you to extract the contacts from Facebook, LinkedIn, Palm Profile, Google, and all other email accounts into one vCard file that you can email to yourself. You can then import into all of your Palm Pre or Pixi Contacts into your own email program.

"The “Send All Contacts via Email” patch by bsiegel provides a way to get your contacts out of the Palm Profile and into whatever you want. The patch adds the menu option to export your contacts into a standard vCard file (which can take a while if you have a lot) and then attaches that file to an email for you to send to wherever you desire.

"We’ll use Google as an example here: once exported you can save the vCard file to your computer, and then upload all the contacts to Google by opening Contacts and clicking on Import."

"Apart from transferring your contacts from the Palm Profile to Google, you can also use the patch to perform backups of your contacts data, as the patch does not discriminate between sources like Google, Palm, and Exchange."
    You can use Notepad or a similar program to edit the vCard vcf file you exported. Delete entries that you do not want to import into your regular email program as well. Make sure that you keep the entries in this format with a blank line between entries and two after the last entry.

Code:
    BEGIN:VCARD
    VERSION:2.1
    N;CHARSET=UTF-8:Mouse;Mickey
    FN;CHARSET=UTF-8:Mickey Mouse
    TITLE:Head Mouse
    TEL;CHARSET=UTF-8;CELL;VOICE:(111)111-1111
    TEL;CHARSET=UTF-8;HOME;VOICE:(222)222-2222
    TEL;CHARSET=UTF-8;WORK;VOICE:(333)333-3333
    EMAIL;WORK;INTERNET:mickey@disney.com
    ADR;WORK:;;1 Main St Orlando32830
    BDAY:0-11-13
    NOTE:Married to Minnie Mouse
    END:VCARD

N;CHARSET=UTF-8:;Palm
    FN;CHARSET=UTF-8:Palm
    TEL;CHARSET=UTF-8;WORK;VOICE:(866)750-7256
    NOTE:

N;CHARSET=UTF-8:Sprint
    FN;CHARSET=UTF-8:Sprint
    TEL;CHARSET=UTF-8;WORK;VOICE:(888)211-4727
    NOTE:
    Notes:
    • See the Backup/Sync thread for how to backup music, photos, etc.
    • The color topbar icons are from the iPhone-Black-Launcher theme.
    • For the code used in the patch see: Patch Contacts Send All via Email - WebOS Internals
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/08/2010 at 12:50 PM.
    tovivekmishra likes this.
    Ummm... This is great milo. I've been writing quite a few responses about this patch here and other forums. You've finally gave me a link/reference. The link @ webOS Internals doesn't really explain it very well...Thanks!!!
  3.    #3  
    Now updated to show how to edit a vCard vcf file.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I had it going for 3 hours and it was still running, how long does it take?
    so i just tried to install this patch and it failed. is there something else that i need to install prior to trying to run this?
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    How do I import my contacts back to my pre? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.t View Post
    I had it going for 3 hours and it was still running, how long does it take?
    Were you able to get it to work? Mine went for over eight hours while I slept and had to cancel it in the morning.

Is there any way to locate the vcard file on the Pre? A specific temp folder or someplace...
    Quote Originally Posted by macknjack View Post
    so i just tried to install this patch and it failed. is there something else that i need to install prior to trying to run this?
    This was the first patch I ever installed and then around the 30th of June it stopped working. I un-installed and tried to re-install and kept failing one of the hunks. I then removed all my patches and restarted. I insttalled this patch first and it took so I installed all the other ones... Still doesn't work however and ran for over 8hrs lastnight..

I read that a bad facebook sync could cause it to hang so I removed that connection restarted and then tried again... As of today it's installed but does not work... So sad
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Took me a heck of a long time to get all components together. Be sure to look for the patch webosquickisntall/tools/online repository/Send all mail. Not under email where you might think it would be.
    A couple of notices:

1.) If you only get one contact when you import the vCard file, you can either import it to Google or Hotmail and then export your contacts from there, or you can use a vCard splitter such as vCardOrganizer which will let you split the big vCard file into individual files for each contact.

2.) The patch "Create Birthday Events" conflicts with this patch - they both modify the same file. You will need to choose one or the other. I've created a patch file that includes both patches, but if you want to use it you will have to install it manually using WOSQI - it's not available in the feeds for WOSQI / Preware. You can download it here: send-contacts-via-email-unified.patch

--Brandon
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quick question about retreiving contacts on a deactivated pre:

My wife has recently received a replacement pre, and when she logged on to her palm profile, not all of her contacts came through. Unfortunately, her old phone is not activated any more. (it has not been sent back yet, though)

Is there a way to use this patch even if the phone is no longer activated? Could I install the patch via WebOSQI(I imagine the phone would need to be able to connect to the internet via wifi)

Or can the patch be modified so that instead of emailing the vCard file, it sends it to the USB partition of the phone?

Once the vCard file is obtained, how is the best way to import the contacts to the new phone? Use gmail to import the vCard file and then add that gmail profile to the phone?

Thanks in advance!
    You should still be able to access the web over Wifi even without an activated phone (There is an activation bypass documented by Palm here: Developing on an Unactivated Device - Palm Developer Center ). If you want to avoid wireless communications entirely, you can install the patch via WOSQI and then run the command. The .vcf file is actually outputted to the /tmp/vcard.vcf directory before it's attached to the e-mail, so once you run the command you should be able to swipe it from there using WOSQI.

As for importing, yes I recommend importing them to Gmail - it seems to be the most successful and robust method.
    When I go to download the patch to email contacts, I get the following IPKG error:

Postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=.........
    1 out of 5 hunks FAILED --saving reject to file.....

So.....any ideas?

Any other way to export these "Palm synced" contacts?
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyBeerManTX View Post
    When I go to download the patch to email contacts, I get the following IPKG error:

Postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=.........
    1 out of 5 hunks FAILED --saving reject to file.....

So.....any ideas?

Any other way to export these "Palm synced" contacts?
    Do you have the Patch "Create Birtday Events" installed? If so read above to solve your problem!
    You are correct sir! I just bought a new Epic 4G for my business (still keepin' and lovin' my Pre though!) and needed to take the Palm Profile contacts over to the Epic (Google). After removing the "create birthday events" patch, worked like a dream!
    Thanks!
    Is there anyway to update this to work with Advanced Configuration for System Preferences (ACSP)? I would love to have both.
    Quote Originally Posted by becrazy2 View Post
    Is there anyway to update this to work with Advanced Configuration for System Preferences (ACSP)? I would love to have both.
    Agreed! A compatible version of this patch is much desired!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bsiegel View Post
    A couple of notices:

1.) If you only get one contact when you import the vCard file, you can either import it to Google or Hotmail and then export your contacts from there, or you can use a vCard splitter such as vCardOrganizer which will let you split the big vCard file into individual files for each contact.

2.) The patch "Create Birthday Events" conflicts with this patch - they both modify the same file. You will need to choose one or the other. I've created a patch file that includes both patches, but if you want to use it you will have to install it manually using WOSQI - it's not available in the feeds for WOSQI / Preware. You can download it here: send-contacts-via-email-unified.patch

--Brandon
    vCardOrganizer is an AWESOME & easy to use program! Thanks for letting me know about it!

UPDATE: It looks like Gmail does a better job of importing the vcard than vCardOrganizer. vCardOrganizer said some of my contacts did not contain any data which was false whereas Gmail imported every contact (2700+) without a hitch!
    Last edited by sjamie; 10/17/2010 at 11:45 AM.
    Ask and you shall receive. Updated to work with sconix's Advanced patch for system preferences
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mamouton; 10/16/2010 at 11:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Ask and you shall receive. Updated to work with sconix's Advanced patch for launcher.
    OMG..You're the MANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!
    Can i possible subscribe to every post you make?
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    trowany likes this.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast