1.    #1  
    It is cool that I can pinch zoom in google maps, but there are times that I am driving and it is impossible to pinch zoom with one hand. It would be nice to tap the zoom + button and zoom - button with only one hand, especially when I'm driving.
    I like this idea as well...
    You do know you can can zoom in with a double tap, right? Unfortunately zooming out requires a pinch. But you actually can pinch with one hand using your thumb and forefinger ... just lay the side of your finger on the screen at the top and then pinch with you thumb ... you don't have to actually touch with the tip of your finger. Works better if the phone is open ... your fingers are in a better position.

Now whether you should really be doing this while driving is another question .
    put the phone down while driving. This is why God invented dashboards and garmin...

When I ride with drivers that try to use their phones for Google maps or as a GPS... I take the phone away from them (even did it to my boss). Generally I have a real GPS in my bag and I stick it to the window while tossing their phone into the back seat. If I don't have a GPS with me, then I become their navigator...

10 and 2, eyes on the road. We actually had to pass a law to make texting while driving illegal. Really? Really? How is looking at the map on a tiny little phone and zooming in/out (pinch/button/voice command/whatever) different than texting?

They now make a device that disables the cellphones in a car if it travelling more than 1mph. Personally, I'm starting to think that would be a better legal requirement than a seat belt law... If you want to be careless with your safety and ignore a seatbelt... that's a shame to cause yourself harm. If you want to be careless and cause an accident because you are looking at your little phone for directions... that's criminal because it causes harm to others...

As I read back over this, I realize I'm taking the same side on this as Oprah. I don't even know who I am anymore...
  5.    #5  
    whoa there buddy. I don't need someone to preach to me about driving. When I use my phone, I am usually parked. I also have it attached to my touchstone so there is no difference than tapping a tomtom. In fact I think the google maps is easier to use than tomtom if I had buttons to zoom. I thought this would be easier for one handed use since I hate pinch zooming with one hand.
    +1

Glad to hear it. None of what I said is any less valid, just consider this my thankful declaration that it doesn't apply to you... and then read your OP where you said "when I am driving"...and "especially when I am driving"...
    Quote Originally Posted by sothrowd08 View Post
    It is cool that I can pinch zoom in google maps, but there are times that I am driving and it is impossible to pinch zoom with one hand. It would be nice to tap the zoom + button and zoom - button with only one hand, especially when I'm driving.
    Sorry that I misunderstood your post...
  8.    #8  
    Well I'm not going to lie to you and say that I "never" use the phone while driving. When ever I look up a place in google maps, I am aways parked. I do talk on the phone while driving, but that is why I got a bluetooth headset. I can't drive a standard while holding a phone to my ear. I just figured it would be nice to be able to zoom with one hand instead of two.
  9. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    I agree using a zoom button or even the volume keys would be cool. I usually need to zoom out so I can see all the freeways to see which way to go home.

Now that I think about it, I would like the google maps to start zoomed out more as default. Then I can double tap to zoom in on me. Any way to mod the program for that?
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
  10.    #10  
    bump