Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i believe that i have read that even while 3g is off, you can still receive calls/text messages. and a lot of people have reported that when 3g is off the battery life on the pre is much better.

so is it possible for there to be a patch that would turn off 3g when the screen is off, you wouldn't be using the web (obviously) but could still receive calls/text.

of course, if you don't receive calls/text when 3g is off then this thread is useless and good to go for deletion
    This is a great idea, I would go even further to say that 3G should be off unless it is needed. The 3G is off when wifi is enabled (or it should be) so why not have the 3g turn on only when the phones needs to use data.
  3.    #3  
    i mentioned this in another thread, someone said that for things like email you need a data connection. perhaps a toggle in the device menu could be integrated (kinda like data connection on/off toggle, except maybe data off when screen off/ on all the time toggle).

i feel like this could be great for battery life. too bad i don't know how to develop!
    This is a really good idea. I'm constantly toggling my data connection to save battery when I'm going to be away from a charger for an extended period. Maybe put a suggestion in to the developer of the Mode Switcher app to add a trigger for "screen off/on". I'm thinking it would probably be a pretty simple addition to the app and it would allow you to do exactly what you're looking for.
    this would be a major plus for me, if someone makes this patch i will be so thankful. Seriously. Not only will it improve battery life, but also make it more convenient for those of us that find ourselves toggling our data connection all the time. We only really need it when we are in current use of our phones and if you use your phone throughout your day, then when the display is on every so often you use it you will get caught up on your emails, facebook, etc. I'm willing to go as far as donating for a patch like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post
    This is a really good idea. I'm constantly toggling my data connection to save battery when I'm going to be away from a charger for an extended period. Maybe put a suggestion in to the developer of the Mode Switcher app to add a trigger for "screen off/on". I'm thinking it would probably be a pretty simple addition to the app and it would allow you to do exactly what you're looking for.
    I love this idea. Until someone can create it, here is another promising way to protect your battery when you are away from your charger....

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...er-review.html
    we gotta keep this thread going, I'm sure plenty of us would love something like this suggested added convenience.
    Quote Originally Posted by srath16 View Post
    we gotta keep this thread going, I'm sure plenty of us would love something like this suggested added convenience.
    This may improve battery life by 2-3x
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Too bad this would only work well for CDMA and not GSM. I've always wanted to be able to do this with my phones but it's never happened.
    well if GSM pre's still have data it might work the same to disable the data entirely when the screen is off and turn it back on when the screen is on. I dunno how GSM is, so that's just my interpretation of what I think I know :P
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Going from 2G to 3G on GSM resets the radio. When you're just using data that's not an issue. But if you're using voice, it will drop the voice call. Since CDMA isin't doing simultaneous voice and data that's not an issue. For GSM 3G users, we lose that capability until we can let the phone reset the radio.
    Maybe developer of the patch "auto enable and disable gps for maps" could help: when open web or mail app - turn data on, when close those apps - turn data off (regardless 2g or 3g).
    thats a good idea, basically what we're looking for has somewhat been touched upon in some patches, we just need to have it solidified. Also, i wasnt aware of that on GSM pre's, so maybe there would be a patch to toggle 2g when display is off and 3g when display is on?
    Any data connection is bad for battery life. The best would be if data is off when you don`t need it, specially if screen is off. I have gsm pre and also 2g is not good for battery life when screen is off.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    The thing is, especially for GSM, the actual *switching* can often drain the battery more than just staying on 3g. it depends on how often you switch.

So, if everytime you put on your screen to look at something, it switches the radio... it's basically gonna use as much power as having it on 'auto' in areas with different reception. 3g on, off, on off, on, off... runs the batt down like mad.
    never looked at it that way. I've personally never had significant drain casually toggling data on and off when my phone is in use, though I can't interpret if your post is just about GSM pre's in the second part, in which case disregard my statement.
    Yeah I brought this idea up in another thread. We came to the conclusion that 1x data and 3G data use the same amount of power when idle, so you probably wouldn't see a big increase in battery life.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I turn my phone on about 100 times a day. That's a 100 times my phone will be turning something on and off.

probably not worth it. If you are running low on battery then I would suggest turning it off until you get to a charger.

If you like your Pre and want to stick with it. I really suggest buying a few chargers so ur always close to one. Or even a spare battery and side charger. 30-40 bucks and just charge the spare over night and put it in your wallet or something and switch it at 1 or 2pm
    ( that's about when mine is at 20%)
    I suppose this patch would only really benefit pre users that find themselves occasionally taking out there phones throughout the day instead of constantly using it.
    If toggling data on/off would be triggered by opening some app which needs data connection the battery drain would be minimal.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast