Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    Like many of you, I use QST to toggle my wi-fi and cell data to save battery. Thre are days, however, when I leave my house, drive around for a while with a chatty, distracting 3 year-old, and then realize that my phone is still set to Wi-Fi on and cell data off. Is it possible for there to be a patch that would autodetect when an open or recognized secure wifi hotspot is no longer in range and automatically turn on cell data and shut off the wifi? Would be worth a donation.
    You might want to check out Mode Switcher http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-switcher.html
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtonk View Post
    Like many of you, I use QST to toggle my wi-fi and cell data to save battery. Thre are days, however, when I leave my house, drive around for a while with a chatty, distracting 3 year-old, and then realize that my phone is still set to Wi-Fi on and cell data off. Is it possible for there to be a patch that would autodetect when an open or recognized secure wifi hotspot is no longer in range and automatically turn on cell data and shut off the wifi? Would be worth a donation.
    I was dreaming of this functionality exactly! An automatic phone data toggle that would sense when a trusted wifi was in range and shut down the phone data.

I spend the majority of my time at an office with great wifi or at home with great wifi so I leave the phone data off most of the time. But there are plenty of times that I need it when out and about. It would be so nice not to have to toggle the phone data in these times of need.

I'm going to check out mode switcher to see how it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerja View Post
    I was dreaming of this functionality exactly! An automatic phone data toggle that would sense when a trusted wifi was in range and shut down the phone data.

I spend the majority of my time at an office with great wifi or at home with great wifi so I leave the phone data off most of the time. But there are plenty of times that I need it when out and about. It would be so nice not to have to toggle the phone data in these times of need.

I'm going to check out mode switcher to see how it works.
    For your situation, you could just leave wifi on all the time. When ever you are in range of your work or home wifi, it will shut down the carrier data and use wifi. When you leave the hotspots, carrier data will come back on.

--edit-
    Wait, that's how it works, right? lol
    agree with the above poster , thats what i do.
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    For your situation, you could just leave wifi on all the time. When ever you are in range of your work or home wifi, it will shut down the carrier data and use wifi. When you leave the hotspots, carrier data will come back on.

--edit-
    Wait, that's how it works, right? lol
    But when I'm away from wi-fi, doesn't the phone constantly search for a signal? I was thinking it would be a battery drain if I left both cell data and wi-fi on while away from a hotspot, which is why I was thinking that if the phone could automatically shut down the wi-fi when a signal was no longer detected, it would be optimal.
    no it sends out smalls packets of data not enough to kill your battery. I leave my wifi on all the time and when I get in range of a wifi that it reconizes it switches over. I feel like turning them on and off then connecting to said network would kill the battery more than just letting it do this automatically by itself.
    Yeah, I've started leaving wifi on all the time over the past month and I haven't noticed any change in battery life. In fact, I think the battery life has improved because whenever I'm at home or in the office, my phone automatically grabs wifi and saves battery due to not using 3G data.

It really works great for me and everything happens automatically, so I never have to remember to turn something on/off.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    When I turn off phone data, I get a HUGE battery life increase. Before I started toggling phone data, I would have about 50% battery at the end of the work day. With phone data turned off, I still have 80-90% battery at the end of the work day. That leaves me plenty to get through the evening, especially if I'm at home with wifi.

I installed Mode Switcher as mentioned above and the developer is close to a release with wifi triggers to do exactly that. It's a really cool app that deserves props! Go check it out.

jab