Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Seems like the brightness of the keyboard back light goes with the screen brightness.

I found that it makes sense to reverse it simply because when it is really dark you want the screen to have low brightness but the keyboard pretty bright... and when it's bright you want the screen to be bright but don't need it for the keyboard.
    +1 although I've been able to make due with brightness unlinked.
  3.    #3  
    thanks. i think that will do for now.
    I don't like brightness unlinked since the app has to run in the background.
    Quote Originally Posted by sothrowd08 View Post
    I don't like brightness unlinked since the app has to run in the background.
    Really? That doesn't make for a very good solution.

I noticed the app "Quick System Tasks -BETA" has an area where you can change the brightness of both the screen and keyboard. I'm downloading now, Ill reply back when i've fooled around with it.

edit -- the program wouldn't install for some reason. Tried brightness unlinked, but I don't like tasks running in the background.

It's so strange no one has found a cleaner fix for this yet.
    Last edited by Jahooba; 05/20/2010 at 06:43 PM.
    Since one of the key components of this is the service call found by zinge used in his Brightness Unlinked app (CC ND), I asked for his permission prior to posting this...He, of course, graciously has allowed me to share the patch I made...I added some logic to use another service call to get the current screen brightness and use it when the slider is opened or the display status is changed.

Basically, the patch inverts the keyboard brightness to the display brightness with a 15% minimum value & an 85% maximum value.

It can be easily tweaked…These setting are simply what worked best for me.

Please see the new patch thread which has been created.
    [Patch] Inverted Keyboard Brightness
    Quote Originally Posted by xanthinealkaloid View Post
    Since the key component of this is the service call found by zinge used in his Brightness Unlinked app, I asked for his permission prior to posting this...He, of course, graciously has allowed me to share the patch I made.

Basically, the patch inverts the keyboard brightness to the display brightness with a 15% minimum value & an 85% maximum value.

It can be easily tweaked…These setting are simply what worked best for me.

edit -- Okay, how exactly does this work? I've installed it but nothing has seemed to change -- the keyboard and screen brightness acts the same as before after a Luna restart. Should I do a hard reboot?

Also, am I suppose to uninstall "Brightness Unlinked" first? Where are the controls for the patch? How do we change the values?

Wow, you're awesome.

I'll give it a whirl and then comment back
    Last edited by Jahooba; 05/24/2010 at 02:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    edit -- Okay, how exactly does this work? I've installed it but nothing has seemed to change -- the keyboard and screen brightness acts the same as before after a Luna restart. Should I do a hard reboot?

Also, am I suppose to uninstall "Brightness Unlinked" first? Where are the controls for the patch? How do we change the values?

Wow, you're awesome.

I'll give it a whirl and then comment back
    I guess I should have been more clear.

You should uninstall Brightness Unlinked or any other app/patch which would affect the keyboard brightness.

As far as operation, there are no controls…The patch automatically calculates & sets the keyboard brightness based on the whatever the current display brightness is…For example, your keyboard brightness would be 76% if your display brightness was set to 24%.

I hope that helps to clarify.

WOW...what a great patch. Any chance you could get that in Preware so my friends who don't understand WOSQI could use it? Or is it already in Preware?
    seems to work great for me, thanks again for another wonderful patch!
    I installed using WOSQI, but it doesn't seem to be working for me. I uninstalled brightness unlinked. When I slide the brightness bar, both screen and keyboard do the same thing? They should be inverted right? Anyone else having this problem?

edit: Nevermind, after messing with it for a bit, it started working. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach447 View Post
    I installed using WOSQI, but it doesn't seem to be working for me. I uninstalled brightness unlinked. When I slide the brightness bar, both screen and keyboard do the same thing? They should be inverted right? Anyone else having this problem?

edit: Nevermind, after messing with it for a bit, it started working. Thanks
    Great patch, thank you! This is one I will never do without from now on

I rebooted and it started working (Luna restart didn't work), even with "Brightness Unlinked" installed this patch worked great.

My only complaint (I'm sorry!) is that I like the keyboard as bright as possible at all times. Do you think maybe one day you can make a patch that just sets the keyboard brightness to 100 no matter what the screen setting?

Would any one else like a patch like that? Do you think it would drain a lot of battery?
    even with "Brightness Unlinked" installed this patch worked great.
    Just to clarify...My suggestion to uninstall Brightness Unlinked(which has other features besides the kb brightness control) is simply because it's an overlap of functionality and it would be a best practice to chose one or the other.

My only complaint (I'm sorry!) is that I like the keyboard as bright as possible at all times. Do you think maybe one day you can make a patch that just sets the keyboard brightness to 100 no matter what the screen setting?

Would any one else like a patch like that? Do you think it would drain a lot of battery?
    It could be done, but the keyboard brightness @ a constant 100% would most certainly bring with it increased battery drain.

Quote Originally Posted by xanthinealkaloid View Post
    Just to clarify...My suggestion to uninstall Brightness Unlinked(which has other features besides the kb brightness control) is simply because it's an overlap of functionality and it would be a best practice to chose one or the other.

It could be done, but the keyboard brightness @ a constant 100% would most certainly bring with it increased battery drain.

Oops, I guess I should have clarified: I uninstalled Brightness Unlinked (BU) after I got your patch running. I didn't attempt to run BU at the same time, for fear of my phone exploding, or some other dramatic effect. It uninstalled fine, and my phone is ok
    Great patch, thank you! This is one I will never do without from now on

I rebooted and it started working (Luna restart didn't work), even with "Brightness Unlinked" installed this patch worked great.

I would like that as well. I'm not worried about the battery so much, since I'm only going to be typing for a few minutes at a time at the most. And I keep my keyboard closed most of the time.

Rob

On another topic (probably not meant for this thread, but I figure it would be ok):

I too don't like things like this running in the background. I am using the Quick System Task (beta) to get the keyboard brightness done as well as the setting for Touchsone SO (screen off). I am finding that Quick System Tasks doesn't always work, especially with the keyboard settings, sometimes it does the reverse.

Anyway, I would like something to 'turn off the screen' when placed on the Touchstone. In the beginning I kinda liked having the clock as night light. But now, it's annoying and too bright.

Is there a way or patch to handle turning off the screen when on the Touchstone. I could not find a thread for that and never noticed anything in Preware, except for this Quick System Tasks app.

Thanks. Again, I'm sorry if I brought up items that don't necessarily belong in this thread!
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 05/24/2010 at 06:26 PM.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Oops, I guess I should have clarified: I uninstalled Brightness Unlinked (BU) after I got your patch running. I didn't attempt to run BU at the same time, for fear of my phone exploding, or some other dramatic effect. It uninstalled fine, and my phone is ok
    I don't know about exploding or anything else dramatic, but there could be what I like to call unexpected results.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=rlanza1054;2472679

Anyway, I would like something to 'turn off the screen' when placed on the Touchstone. In the beginning I kinda liked having the clock as night light. But now, it's annoying and too bright.

Is there a way or patch to handle turning off the screen when on the Touchstone. I could not find a thread for that and never noticed anything in Preware, except for this Quick System Tasks app.

![/QUOTE]

Try Mode Switcher (It's in Preware and there's a lengthy forum thread). You can set "Modes" based on specific triggers (Time, Charging (USB, Wall, or Touchstone), GPS location, etc....). You can then set what will happen when each mode is triggered (open certain apps, turn off WiFi Bluetooth, and what to do with the screen when charging (On, Off, Lock Screen)
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
    I searched mode switcher in Preware and I can't find it. All I got was USB Mode Switch. Is the official name Mode Switcher?
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    is this going to be added to preware? :-)
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach447 View Post
    I searched mode switcher in Preware and I can't find it. All I got was USB Mode Switch. Is the official name Mode Switcher?
    Oops. Search the forums for Mode Switcher and read the opening post. In there is a URL for a custom Preware feed. Add it and then Update feeds and search again
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast