1.    #1  
    I was thinking of something this morning. There's the new patch in Preware that automatically turns on GPS when you launch Google Maps, and then turns it on when you close Google Maps. Would there be any way to create a patch or an app (maybe it's an app .. I dunno) that would add OTHER programs that would be treated the same way? The big one for me would be Foursquare. I keep GPS off unless I'm using it as a way to save battery. It's not a huge deal to manually turn it on (I have the menu multimix patch, so it's right there) but it would be great to have the phone do it automatically.

Now that I'm thinking of this, it might be great to add a main menu item that launches a control panel of some kind. The control panel could have check boxes for programs that are installed that use GPS. If the box is checked, the program gets this auto-on GPS treatment.

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    I was thinking of something this morning. There's the new patch in Preware that automatically turns on GPS when you launch Google Maps, and then turns it on when you close Google Maps. Would there be any way to create a patch or an app (maybe it's an app .. I dunno) that would add OTHER programs that would be treated the same way? The big one for me would be Foursquare. I keep GPS off unless I'm using it as a way to save battery. It's not a huge deal to manually turn it on (I have the menu multimix patch, so it's right there) but it would be great to have the phone do it automatically.

Now that I'm thinking of this, it might be great to add a main menu item that launches a control panel of some kind. The control panel could have check boxes for programs that are installed that use GPS. If the box is checked, the program gets this auto-on GPS treatment.

Thoughts?
    I think that most of the other apps are using google maps services anyway, so that might not buy you much. I find that I just launch text-my-location and it gets a lock faster than anything else (of course I am also using the patch from ebags33).

I also so an app that auto-launches and auto-closes several apps to bombard the gps radio into waking up. I can't recall the name but it's in there if you search on GPS in the preware catalog.
  3.    #3  
    I don't know which apps used Google Maps services and which don't. I did check and the GPS on for Google Maps patch doesn't turn on Foursquare automatically. I don't have any of the golf GPS apps (yet) but it may not work for them either.