Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I notice when you tap the text button in the message app it pulls up a list and if you tap the phone icon it will dial the number associated with the icon. I was wondering how hard it would be to tap the ignore button when the phone is ringing to pull up a similiar screen but it allows you to send a text message to the caller. I figured since the function is in the messaging app to call with a tap it might be simple to add the function to send message with a tap when receiving a call. I know there are several posts about this but I haven't seen any screen shots or anyone giving suggestions as to how it could be done.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    +1
    This is a great idea, I use to have an app on my treo that did this. Actually it would send out a message automatically that I already had set. I would love this.
    We've had other threads on this, agree it's a great idea.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    We've had other threads on this, agree it's a great idea.
    True as I acknowledged in my post, but none had ideas as to how to make it happen. Didn't want the idea to get lost in the multiple pages of the other threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    I notice when you tap the text button in the message app it pulls up a list and if you tap the phone icon it will dial the number associated with the icon. I was wondering how hard it would be to tap the ignore button when the phone is ringing to pull up a similiar screen but it allows you to send a text message to the caller.
    I'm sure it could be done via a popmenu requiring a second tap to send a canned message or simply reject the call...The implementation would probably need to include what to do if the screen is off which is what I was leaning towards when I originally looked a this request.

I know there are several posts about this but I haven't seen any screen shots or anyone giving suggestions as to how it could be done.
    Actually, I had posted something here.

This patch is something I put together awhile back and sort of left.

When the call is rejected with the power button(2 presses), the messaging app will be opened with a prepopulated message(hardcoded for now) & the caller's number entered, if the call is from a valid phone number...Technically, it could also be sent automatically.

Using the power button would seem to make it more versatile if the call comes in when the screen is off, possibly extending to ignoring from BT/headset in the future, but not allowing you to specify a message meaning once a popmenu is included for the reject button a default would need to be chosen for the other ways to reject a call.

Obviously, it needs some work, but I'd like to see what people think and get ideas on further implementation...All in all, it would be a rather involved patch in the end.

Attached Files Attached Files
    To customize the patch posted above...Simply open it in a text editor and modify the boldface text shown below as you wish.

Code:
    +                        //recipientJSONArray: [{"value": this.number}],
    +                        messageText: "I'll call you back later.",
    +                        composeAddress: this.number
  9.    #9  
    xan you are the man!! This rocks!! There was a feature I had with my 755 that allowed personalized messages to be sent based on the notes in the contact. Do you think that is a possiblity. The program was called Treoflex I still have the PRC. I looked for a user manual but the website is not active. The developer was Greenhex. I still have the notes in my contacts waiting for something to happen like this. Anyway to be able to use the ignore button as well or maybe the area between the answer and end button where the number is? I successfully ignored with text this morning. Let me know how I can help!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by xanthinealkaloid View Post
    I'm sure it could be done via a popmenu requiring a second tap to send a canned message or simply reject the call...The implementation would probably need to include what to do if the screen is off which is what I was leaning towards when I originally looked a this request.

Actually, I had posted something here.

See that is what I meant by getting lost among the other threads.
  11.    #11  
    xanthinealkaloid is there any way to have a popup of canned messages integrated into the app?
    xanthinealkaloid is there any way to have a popup of canned messages integrated into the app?
    Actually, I'm working on something like that.

Basically, I'm going to let the original popupalert reject the call, then another popup will be presented with a list selector and send/cancel buttons...This action will only happen when the call is from a valid number.

This way seems to fit the current scheme...The first step will be the implementation of hardcoded messages sent automatically, then I'll work on making the options more customizable.

At least, that's my current thought process right now. *

13.    #13  
    Cool I am loving this. Have you heard of Treoflex? It allows you to send personalized messages to contacts based on what is in the notes field. Very cool program I had for my treo 755.
    Cool I am loving this. Have you heard of Treoflex? It allows you to send personalized messages to contacts based on what is in the notes field. Very cool program I had for my treo 755.
    No, I haven't heard of Treoflex...The Pre is actually my first smartphone/handheld device.

The contact feature will probably be an addon implemented after the initial framework is in place.

15.    #15  
    Do you use classic on the Pre?
  16.    #16  
    Treoflex information

By selecting "Use Contacts Note If Available" any note entered in the Contacts Note between <tf> and </tf> can be used as messaging text in case a call is received from that particular contact. e.g., <tf>Sorry I missed your call. I call back ASAP.</tf>

A messaging confirmation dialog can be displayed after an ignored or missed call for the selected number of seconds. Otherwise, the message will be sent immediately after call termination.

The default selection in the confirmation dialog can be [Cancel], in which case, the messaging operation will be cancelled after the timeout.

By selecting the "Mobiles Only" checkbox, one can selectively message contacts whose incoming numbers are labled as "Mobile" in the contacts application. Otherwise messaging will occur for all phone numbers.

The "Notify" feature will message the missed call details to a third phone whose number is specified in the adjacent field. The phone number is not checked for errors, so, you need to ensure that the number is accurate. DO NOT USE THIS FEATURE TO SPY ON OTHERS.

The following "tokens" in a message string will be replaced by the corresponding string values:

^0 - Time in system format
    ^1 - Date in system format
    ^2 - First Name
    ^3 - Last Name
    ^4 - Title
    ^5 - Company
    ^6 - Custom 1
    ^7 - Custom 2
    ^8 - Custom 3
    ^9 - Custom 4

TreoFlexSelect:

You can use TreoFlexSelect to quickly edit, save and select messages for use with TreoFlex. TreoFlexSelect also has other options including a timed-enable feature and TreoFlex log viewer.
    Do you use classic on the Pre?
    Nope.

btw...Thanks for the donation.

It's weird...With 3 prior threads, I'm surprised more folks haven't chimed in with interest...Anyhow, I appreciate the add'l info you posted...I'm going to try putting together something worth posting by the end of this weekend.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...nore+call+text
  18.    #18  
    No problem it was definetly worth it. I use it regularly. And with Sprint's text to landline I can succesfully ignore the call from the house and send them a text. Great patch!
    Quote Originally Posted by xanthinealkaloid View Post
    Basically, I'm going to let the original popupalert reject the call, then another popup will be presented with a list selector and send/cancel buttons...This action will only happen when the call is from a valid number.
    I think this would be most natural as two patches that work well together. One would add a "Reject with text" button to the original popupalert for the incoming call, clicking on which opens the messaging app, with phone number and a default message prepopulated (so all you need to do is click "send", but you can also change the message to anything else). The other patch (a little more complicated, maybe) would be to add a popup menu of standard messages to the messaging app. Click a button (probably next to Send, maybe on the other side) to get the menu, choose a message. Ideally with an option to customize the messages (which is where it starts to get pretty complicated).
    Quote Originally Posted by Eimi View Post
    I think this would be most natural as two patches that work well together. One would add a "Reject with text" button to the original popupalert for the incoming call, clicking on which opens the messaging app, with phone number and a default message prepopulated (so all you need to do is click "send", but you can also change the message to anything else). The other patch (a little more complicated, maybe) would be to add a popup menu of standard messages to the messaging app. Click a button (probably next to Send, maybe on the other side) to get the menu, choose a message. Ideally with an option to customize the messages (which is where it starts to get pretty complicated).

Thanks for the input…I tried adding a button, but it ruins the aesthetic symmetry of the incoming call stage which is sort of what I expected...Besides, there would be too many CSS modifications to accommodate an extra button...I'm going to stick to implementing an additional notification pop-up with a list selector for the canned messages and buttons for send; custom; & cancel.

Send would be to simply send the selected message without having to open the Messaging app.
    Custom would open the Messaging app with the destination prepopulated.
    Cancel would simply close the stage without doing anything. (I know…It's an extra tap when you don't want to send a msg...I'm thinking if people want this functionality it's probably because they're going to use it on more than half the calls they receive.)

In any case, it's going to be complicated (sort of "app-like").

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast