Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    cool I look forward to your changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanthinealkaloid View Post
    Actually, I'm working on something like that.

Basically, I'm going to let the original popupalert reject the call, then another popup will be presented with a list selector and send/cancel buttons...This action will only happen when the call is from a valid number.

This way seems to fit the current scheme...The first step will be the implementation of hardcoded messages sent automatically, then I'll work on making the options more customizable.

At least, that's my current thought process right now. *

If you need it, you can get the code for sending a text message without bringing up the compose screen from my app (or I can just send it). The reverse lookup is very important, or the sms history for the number gets jacked up. You helped me find the sendMessageFromCompose code, so I wanted to help you out with it if I can.
  3.    #23  
    xanthinealkaloid any word on the changes that you have planned for this great patch?
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    xanthinealkaloid any word on the changes that you have planned for this great patch?
    It's still on my top 5 patches/features I've been working on right now...With life issues, it's been exceedingly difficult lately to find the precious time to finish things up.

I'm hoping to get back in the groove and accomplish a few things this weekend, provided I can get it to work. *

I would love this patch.

For me, I would love the popup options to:

When the phone rings, the phone answer screen always pops up. The simpliest thing I can think of is that when you press Decline w/Text Msg, it would Decline and open the Messaging app with that number as the recipient. If you could pre-populate the message with "I can't talk now" that would be a great bonus. Then I could just hit send.

If it would be easier, when you press Decline w/Text Msg, it would just send the text "I can't talk now." At first I thought to say "I will call you back." But I don't always want to make that promise.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/05/2010 at 02:40 PM.
  6.    #26  
    @milo have you used the patch that is in the thread?

once you hit the power button twice it pre populates with I will call you back later. I use this patch regularly now.
    @milo

The mock-up you posted is very similar to what my initial attempt was.

I like milo's way. Most like the original. Deviating from the normal way of answering and declining a call would not be my first choice for accomplishing the task, but I can see why it's necessary at the moment. That whole pop up is very bottom heavy. Could easily center the answer/reject buttons, raise the caller id box and create more symmetry with a nicer "reject w/txt msg" button. You could then have a quicklist of stock responses or choose custom or cancel to manually enter a message. I rarely say "can't talk now". It's usually something custom based off of who it is and knowing ahead of time what they need, want or expect since it's usually work related.

Not to take away from the patch, but bugging Palm via their feedback link to include this feature can get them working on it. The few techs I talked to on various occasions all said to use feedback to mention the feature and if they get enough requests they'll look into implementing it.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    i made a mock up of an idea that is similar to the one above

Basically, have a third option to send a msg instead of answering.
    The only issues i see are that when the slider is down, the options are not given the same way. In addition, some are requesting that there be a secondary popup or menu to choose from.

Solutions to these are that for the first,the original idea that double-tapping the power button will ignore and auto send a msg or open the messaging app would be a viable option.
    For the second, this could be implemented by an option in the messaging app or additional patch. Where the option off would just open the blank message screen with the number filled in, while the option on would provide the added functionality of a list of previously chosen messages, etc.

Another thought i had was changing the missed call notification so that there is a dismiss, call back, and a new "text back" option. I do not remember if this was on the Centro or i just made it up, but it would be a nice addition when coupled with this patch because it would allow the user to text someone after missing the call while not requiring them to ignore the call. Sometimes you may not want to or cannot ignore the call before sending a message, and it is not always easy to open the messaging app and create a new message.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snpalavan View Post
    i made a mock up of an idea that is similar to the one above

Basically, have a third option to send a msg instead of answering.
    The only issues i see are that when the slider is down, the options are not given the same way. In addition, some are requesting that there be a secondary popup or menu to choose from.

Solutions to these are that for the first,the original idea that double-tapping the power button will ignore and auto send a msg or open the messaging app would be a viable option.
    For the second, this could be implemented by an option in the messaging app or additional patch. Where the option off would just open the blank message screen with the number filled in, while the option on would provide the added functionality of a list of previously chosen messages, etc.

Another thought i had was changing the missed call notification so that there is a dismiss, call back, and a new "text back" option. I do not remember if this was on the Centro or i just made it up, but it would be a nice addition when coupled with this patch because it would allow the user to text someone after missing the call while not requiring them to ignore the call. Sometimes you may not want to or cannot ignore the call before sending a message, and it is not always easy to open the messaging app and create a new message.
    I wouldn't use this... that looks terrible. To tell the truth, it makes much more sense to have a second pop-up come any time you hit the red ignore button, I don't like the idea of adding it only to the power button either, because I don't use that patch and have no intention to. At any rate... after hitting ignore you can simply have a timed secondary pop-up that gives you a choice of a couple canned messaged or nothing... and if you don't touch anything on it, it goes away after 6 seconds. something like that... that way, you don't have to give it a second tap at all...
    Last edited by bluewanders; 07/25/2010 at 03:25 PM.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    haha it was only a super rough idea, but yeah a popup with a time limit would be a good idea
    I second this request too!!

It's been something I've really been missing from my old Treo.
    xanthinealkaloid,

Any more progress on this app? I also have missed this feature from my Treo days. To have the ability to select from a handful of predefined messages as well as custom, would be most useful. I had all but given up that anybody was working on such a solution. Appreciate what you have done so far. Thanks!
    Looks like Samsung took a page out of PalmOS's book. I was surprised to see when I got my first phone call a "Dismiss with a text message" icon. I was like, sweet! Amazing how another company can get it right, but Palm can't. Samsung also took a page out of webOS too and put radio toggles in the notification drop down list. Wifi, Bluetooth, 4G and GPS toggle buttons across the top. Very nicely done. +2 for the Epic right there.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    +1 on this patch project.

What is the latest on it?
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    I miss the decline with Text Message from my Treo. Looking forward to following the progress here.

Modifying the dialog box instead of pressing the pwr button twice is my preference too.

thanks,
    Scott
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Did this ever go anywhere? I can totally see a use for this in meetings or at dinner.
    works great on my stock Epic
    why not try a hold function on the end call button instead of double tapping it to bring up the "ignore with text" function..but just wanted to know how progress has been on your patch

Donate Via Paypal to Email Adress: silent2205@gmail.com
    Email: fritos1406@aim.com
    Twitter: @fritos1406
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12