1.    #1  
    First let me say a big thank you for all that is possible with my pre!

that being said, I am having a heck of a time getting all the features I find convenient into my device menu. Here is what I would ideally love,
    battery, temp, gps, wifi,data, flashlight, brightness and media volume.
    It seems that I cannot figure out how to get this combination. I can get all of this but the flashlight, or flashlight plus everything but the gps, or with a remix/megamix I don't get the battery/temp option. I have tried installing in different combinations and different sequences and at some point I will get a hunk failure. I read alot of the posts having to do with just about all things pre, but don't know much about actually programming or writing patches. I am hopeful that someone maybe able to give me a heads up or some help in this. thanks

P.S. I am aware of the different toggles available and also the flashlight apps, I just really prefer the convenience of the device menu drop down list.
    Last edited by loopytee; 05/16/2010 at 12:33 PM.
  2. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    so confusing with all the different variations of patches. I really wish Jason could add this to WebOSQI. I imagine a utility to select what features populate in the drop down list and maybe even choose font color for each (even just gray vs. white for each).
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    I found that loading too many things in the device menu was hard to work with, because the menu extends below the bottom of the screen. When scrolling down, I would accidentally turn on the flashlight or stick it in airplane mode. I have Battery % + temp, brightness, wifi, bluetooth, data connection, airplane mode as my only choices now, and that has been much more usable than when I had it all loaded up...
  4.    #4  
    I love the idea of a check list type option for adding or removing device menu patches! The ease and usability sound great.
    I currently have date,battery,temp,brightness,wifi,bluetooth(which I don't need but can't get rid of)data,flashlight, and airplane mode. Would love to add GPS but there's conflicts. Right now I'm using the GPS toggle and am going to try the gps icon patch as an indicator to know when gps has been left on or not. I haven't had any issues with the list being to long, but I can see where it may be for some. I just really like the ease of being able to control the 'switches" so quickly and so directly. Makes Battery management simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I found that loading too many things in the device menu was hard to work with, because the menu extends below the bottom of the screen. When scrolling down, I would accidentally turn on the flashlight or stick it in airplane mode. I have Battery % + temp, brightness, wifi, bluetooth, data connection, airplane mode as my only choices now, and that has been much more usable than when I had it all loaded up...
    What about drop down type menus like the phone part of "device menu megamix"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    What about drop down type menus like the phone part of "device menu megamix"?
    That's a good one. I found that I was happy as long as the menu didn't scroll off the bottom of the phone because my chubby/shaky fingers just didn't seem to be able to avoid selecting something instead of scrolling.

Once I added something I considered critical (I think it was battery temp), it just got to be too much.

Also, I try to avoid the "mixes" because it's harder to remove any that I didn't want - and because if I already have a patch similar to (or conflicting with) one of the elements, it generates error messages and/or the install fails. That seems to periodically prevent me from removing other patches (perhaps the one that conflicted although I can't necessarily prove that.)

In order to keep myself organized as to what I have, and with reasonable assurance that I can install/uninstall patches as I choose. I replaced my Pre Plus right before the 1.4.1.1 update, and I found it to be soooo much cleaner than the haphazard rush to install every patch that I had been guilty of when I first got the phone. I probably tried 50% or more of them (still using 40+ so I'm still a twisted person...)

The second time around I had priorities, and a sense of what I really needed. That has been much better for me, and now I don't feel compelled to be in "dev mode" all the time, which definitely has reduced the random luna restarts to almost zero. That's my personal and conservative view mixes. I definitely still have one or two of them in use, but I had a clearer understanding of what the do and what else I shouldn't install to prevent potential conflict.
    I understand, I was just using the mix as an example of how you could use collapsible menus in the device menu to make life a lot easier and prevent the menu from going off the screen. Plus if you do it right you could make the device menu super short.

Example:

Phone (radios)
    Main........on/off (being the voice network)
    Data Usage........on/off
    Roam only ........on/off
    Wifi
    Wifi settings
    Bluetooth ........on/of
    Bluetooth settings
    GPS ........on/of
    Quick Apps
    Flashlight ........on/of
    Pandora(launches when clicked)
    NewsRoom
    wIRC
    AccuWeather
    Games
    The Sims
    Need For Speed
    Lets Golf

Of course this is just an example and in the end the possibilities are endless. plus it would not take much room, when you first click the bar it will only be showing 3 things, Phone, Quick Apps and Games. and if you were to click on Games you would see whatever happened to be there.
    I understand. I just found that my fat thumb screwed it up more than it was worth. One time I was trying to put it in airplane mode before a meeting. It took me several ties. Apparently I turned the wifi radio and flashlight on in the first trips through the menu before getting the airplane mode selected. I was outside so I didn't realize the other stuff was on. I dropped it in my pocket. A few hours later I pulled it out and the battery was almost gone because the stupid thing had been shining in my pocket for several hours, and apparently trying to connect to a hotspot... That's when I started pulling stuff out of that menu. But that's just me and my fat thumbs.
    Ahh I understand. I had something something kind of like that happen with pandora, I disconnected it from my speakers and it paused but it stayed open and drains my battery even though it was on pause the whole time.

Maybe a Timer for the flash light especially through the device menu? And maybe double space between menus. So my Phone, Quick Apps and Games idea would take up what would normally be 5 or 6 spots instead of 3, so there is much more space in between.
  10.    #10  
    these ideas are great! If I knew anything about programing I'd be down to work on it, but since I know squat about it I shall sit, wait, and cheer for those that do.
    What does this button do?

crappy phones -->treo 600--> 700p--> 755p--> Pre--->Pre- 2.1 F104-----Franken Pre+ 2.1 f105 ---> Franken pre2 2.2.4
    touchpad 16gig uberkernel woop woop!!!
  11.    #11  
    anyone?
    What does this button do?

crappy phones -->treo 600--> 700p--> 755p--> Pre--->Pre- 2.1 F104-----Franken Pre+ 2.1 f105 ---> Franken pre2 2.2.4
    touchpad 16gig uberkernel woop woop!!!