Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  

Hey, I made an updated version of this patch. It provides the same functionality as this patch but adds support for a lot more top bar icons. Check it out if you are interested:
    [Patch] Ultimate Top Bar Icon Mod Tool
    Thank you all for your suggestions and ideas

I made this patch for a member here and figured to make a thread for it so other people can find it easier. It's not much, but hopefully a few people will find it useful

First of all, let me explain how this works. This patch modifies the default systemui.css. It changes where this file looks for the icons for Signal Strength (rssi), Wifi, and Bluetooth icons for the top bar. Instead of looking for them in the default location, it looks for them on the Pre's USB drive (/media/internal/) in a folder called "customize".

Step by step instructions:
    1. Download the attached .zip file.
    2. Create a folder on you Pre's USB drive called "customize".
    3. Put the contents of the zip file into this folder. (This is to make sure that the stock icons still show if you don't replace them with modified images)
    4. Install this patch with WebOS Quick Install.
    5. Reboot your phone or perform a Luna Restart.

You will still have the stock icons showing once the phone boots back up. To change them, put your modified images on the USB drive in the "customize" folder you created. (The full path will be /media/internal/customize/)

Do a luna restart to make your phone use the new icons.

Modified images MUST be named correctly. The icon names are pretty self explanatory, but here's the breakdown:
    RSSI - The signal strength bars... 0 to 5. Note: rssi-error.png is the one with 0 bars and the "X"
    Wifi - The Wifi bars... 0 to 3. wifi-connecting.png is the one with 0 bars and the three horizontal dots.
    Bluetooth - No explanation needed really

A Warning: This patch will most likely conflict with Themes if they modify the top bar icons in any way.

If something isn't working right, let me know and i will fix it ASAP.
    Thanks to Unseenme for helping with this effort

--Edit--
    Updated the patch to hopefully fix the issues...

--Edit2--
    Updated the patch again. This time it's tested and confirmed to work on my Sprint 1.4.1.1 Pre I used Internalz to check to make sure systemui.css is modified, and it is. It should work now

--Edit3--
    I made a different version of the patch that uses a folder on your USB drive named ".customize" instead of "customize". Using the Version 2 patch, the custom icons you put in ".customize" will not show up in your Photos app.

You will need to use the command line in WebOS Quick Install to make this folder since Windows will not let you make a folder name beginning with a period. To do this, enter the following command:
    Code:
    mkdir /media/internal/.customize
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions, feedback, and help
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Garrett92C; 05/17/2010 at 09:40 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Just to be sure I did everything correctly, I installed this patch on my Sprint 1.4.1.1 Pre and everything works flawlessly.
    Good Idea Garrett92c!
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    Good Idea Garrett92c!
    Thanks. This is like the new age version of this thread:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-1x-icons.html

That was back when you didn't even know where the RSSI icons were located lol. Look how far you've come
    Garrett92C,

Great to see your continuing on what you had started and also by helping out Unseenme and incorporating some of his efforts into this as well.

...You will still have the stock icons showing once the phone boots back up. To change them, put your modified images on the USB drive in the "customize" folder you created. (The full path will be /media/internal/customize/)
    Are the files not there already per step 3 in your instructions? Maybe I am misreading what your wanting to have done.

I downloaded your zip and patch files. I created the customize directory in /media/internal/.
    I copied the zip contents to that directory.

I verified with Internalz that the files from your zip are where they are supposed to be (/media/internal/customize/).

I proceeded to install the patch file with WOSQI. The phone reboots automatically. Upon the phone restarting, no icons appear in the top bar area at all (except for the battery icon and percentage) I have no themes on my phone.

I restarted the phone one more time. Still no icons.

I started fresh by removing your patch and deleting that folder and contents. I rebooted and my phone is back to where it was prior to the changes. I followed your steps again, but resulted in the same.

I am still half asleep, maybe I am misreading something.

Any ideas?

Regards!

Sprint Pre 1.4.1.1
    Last edited by oakridge outdoors; 05/13/2010 at 11:05 AM.
    did everything correct... but it doesnt seems to work with bell 1.4.1 up here in Canada.. help please!!
    can you also ad the scripts to the battery indicator as well
    have you figured it out yet? Garret seem offline
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphjacques View Post
    have you figured it out yet? Garret seem offline
    No. I modified the paths in the patch file to a couple of different ways to reference the path to /media/internal/customize, but no of the changes worked. I have removed the patch and files until I hear back from Garrett92C. Then I will try again.
    Here is a ZIP with color coated signal and wifi bar (.pngs)

Attached Files Attached Files

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  11.    #11  
    Everyone, I'm sorry I haven't replied. I worked 12 hours today and just got home

Anyway, I curently have this patch installed on my Sprint 1.4.1.1 Pre and it works correctly... Do you guys have any other patches on your phones that modify the Top Bar or systemui.css?
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by orsapps View Post
    Garrett92C,

Great to see your continuing on what you had started and also by helping out Unseenme and incorporating some of his efforts into this as well.

Are the files not there already per step 3 in your instructions? Maybe I am misreading what your wanting to have done.

No, you need to create the folder named "customize" on your USB drive. You then need to unzip the attached zip file and put the contents in the "customize" folder. The attached zip file should include all the necessary stock icons. This patch modifies systemui.css to look in /media/internal/customize/ for the rssi, wifi, and bluetooth icons instead of the default location.
    I downloaded your zip and patch files. I created the customize directory in /media/internal/.
    I copied the zip contents to that directory.

I verified with Internalz that the files from your zip are where they are supposed to be (/media/internal/customize/).

I proceeded to install the patch file with WOSQI. The phone reboots automatically. Upon the phone restarting, no icons appear in the top bar area at all (except for the battery icon and percentage) I have no themes on my phone.

I restarted the phone one more time. Still no icons.

I started fresh by removing your patch and deleting that folder and contents. I rebooted and my phone is back to where it was prior to the changes. I followed your steps again, but resulted in the same.

Hmm... I installed the patch last night and it worked fine. Do you have any other patches that modify the Top Bar or systemui.css?

I am still half asleep, maybe I am misreading something.

Any ideas?

Regards!

Sprint Pre 1.4.1.1
    I'll look into this in an hour or so. I worked 12 hours landscaping today and I really need dinner and a shower
  13.    #13  
    I'm away from my computer right now, but could someone tell me what files are in the attached .zip file? It should contain the stock rssi, wifi, and bluetooth icons...
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    The patch is missing the leading / in front of the /media/internal path. You can modify the patch to use the /media/internal/.customize (note the dot in front of customize) and create this directory manually (using Terminal, but you can use the WOSQI command line). The leading dot will avoid the icons from showing up in the Photo app.

Hope this helps... plee3
    I have had these patches created using my scrims folder for a couple of months now. I didnt post them up because there will be problems w/ posting palm copywrighted material here, Im surprised these havnt been removed my the mods yet.

I hope they dont because these really help, Like I said I didnt want the headache of explaining that you had to create your own pngs or youd get a blank topbar.

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Quote Originally Posted by plee3 View Post
    The patch is missing the leading / in front of the /media/internal path. You can modify the patch to use the /media/internal/.customize (note the dot in front of customize) and create this directory manually (using Terminal, but you can use the WOSQI command line). The leading dot will avoid the icons from showing up in the Photo app.

Hope this helps... plee3
    Or change it to scrims folder that a lot of people already have! lol Just saying! lol

Follow the link below.

just curious, but why not just create themes with these files included? Or anyone that downloads the pic files can just create a theme with these files replaced. IMO, this is much cleaner than altering a few files or the direction path for a system file.. Just a thought though, the bulk download with all of the colors is a great idea!
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    I have had these patches created using my scrims folder for a couple of months now. I didnt post them up because there will be problems w/ posting palm copywrighted material here, Im surprised these havnt been removed my the mods yet.

I hope they dont because these really help, Like I said I didnt want the headache of explaining that you had to create your own pngs or youd get a blank topbar.
    I know what you mean... Personally, I don't see the big deal. I'm not making a profit or gaining anything from putting the default Palm icons in a zip file for people to download. If a Mod doesn't like that I have them here, they can PM me or just take them down them self I guess...
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by plee3 View Post

Hope this helps... plee3
    Thanks for the info

I modified the patch to use ".customize" and added the / where it was missing.

I actually installed this patch on my Pre last night and it worked... So I'm not sure what the issue is
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsharksfan View Post
    just curious, but why not just create themes with these files included? Or anyone that downloads the pic files can just create a theme with these files replaced. IMO, this is much cleaner than altering a few files or the direction path for a system file.. Just a thought though, the bulk download with all of the colors is a great idea!
    I'm not a fan of themes

I figured this would be an easy way to modify the default Top Bar icons. All you would need to do should be to place your custom icons in /media/internal/.customize and do a Luna Restart.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast