Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    I am probably not the only person whose usual use of SMS is quite different from his usual use of instant messaging.

When I receive an SMS, the phone is often in my pocket, or in my bag, or in the other room...in other words, I am not necessarily holding the phone in my hand expecting an SMS to come in any minute now. Thus, I like my SMS notification tone to be kind of piercing and to last a few seconds so that it will get my attention.

With instant messaging, on the other hand, I don't normally walk around with my Pre logged in to Gtalk or Yahoo IM services. When I do log in, it's because I'm actively IMing with somebody, or I'm about to hit them up, or I am expecting or inviting them to hit me up. Thus my attention is already at least partly on the phone, and I may even be holding it; and once the chat starts there are going to be a lot of incoming messages--so I would prefer the IM notification tone to be more quiet and subtle and short, like the "buddy is talking" tones on many of the standalone IM apps for desktop/laptop OSes.

Is there any way that the Messaging app on the Pre could be patched to play a different tone for an incoming IM as opposed to an incoming SMS?

I apologize if this has been asked before. A quick search didn't come up with anything. Thanks.
    Last edited by Analog; 05/12/2010 at 06:39 AM.
    +1
    I like this idea and i think it could be taken a bit further maybe,

With texts I might be far away, i hear it, I go text back and now the convo has started and could get like 10 messages in a minute, So if they could add say, If I receive more then 1 message a minute put it to vibrate, and if it's longer then a minute then it would make a regular noise, If i have like 5 chats going on at once, I can't stand hearing the noise on every single message so i normally switch the ringer to vibrate, but if i put down the phone and someone tries to call, I might miss it cause i would think the vibrate would be a text message,..

my 2 cents.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Good to see there's some interest in this.

For Greg Mair's issue...maybe a patch that puts the messaging app (and only the messaging app) on vibrate when the app is open and has focus and the screen is on? I imagine this would be a different thing from what I'm suggesting, though.
    +1

I'd like:

1) tone & vibe only if the screen is off/locked; and either no tone/vibe when the screen is on, or perhaps only a tone when the screen is on.

2) tone & vibe for SMS/MMS, but only a tone for IM
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    OK, so there's some interest...can anybody confirm that having a different tone for IM versus SMS messages is feasible in the OS (I hope this is the case, because it would be nice to see it in the official OS)? If not, could there be a kludgy way of doing the same thing by, say, implementing some sort of "SMS tones per contact" thing that automatically sets a different tone for Gtalk/Yahoo/AIM contacts?