Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    This is a reworked version of the original SMS Tone Per Contact patch. It has essentially the same functionality, with the following changes:

- Since the unpatched messaging application now allows for selecting a global message tone, the redundant code that added this functionality has been removed from the patch.

- Contacts are now looked up by phone number and then email address, rather than just phone number, in case the sms was sent via email.

- Slight interface cleanup -- 'Pick a message tone' is now in the same font and style as 'Pick a ringtone'

- Removed the selection of default notification and alert sounds. Following the Unix Law, this patch does one thing well. Besides, there is already a patch that adds this functionality.

UPDATE: The patch has been updated for compatibility with the Notification Repeat patch.
    UPDATE: Updated to work on 1.4.5.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jjvcuyler; 09/28/2010 at 02:13 AM.
    Works great and still retains the functionality of elryon's patch. Thanks!
    are you going to give the no alert during call patch a try?
    so we have to uninstall the previous sms tone per contact first, then install this?
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    so we have to uninstall the previous sms tone per contact first, then install this?
    Yes
    Cool idea.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I have been getting an error message when trying to remove sms tone per contact ever since upgrading webos. Any suggestions?
    If I'm using the original SMS per contact patch and it's working well for me, there's no reason why I need to switch, is there?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    If I'm using the original SMS per contact patch and it's working well for me, there's no reason why I need to switch, is there?
    Nope, none at all. The only added feature, aside from the very minor cosmetic changes, is the matching by email address as well as phone number. The rest is just the removal from the patch of features that are now included by Palm or available in other patches.
    Does this version of the patch resolve any of the uninstall issues so many of us have had with the original ?.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fryedchikin View Post
    Does this version of the patch resolve any of the uninstall issues so many of us have had with the original ?.
    I really can't say, as I haven't experienced them. I can say that I've installed and uninstalled this patch over a dozen times without issue -- mostly manually, but a few times with Preware.
    How do you change the default system sound setting with this new patch installed?
    i want to try this patch but i havent been able to remove the original one, what are my options for deleting the original???
    Quote Originally Posted by notalexrz View Post
    i want to try this patch but i havent been able to remove the original one, what are my options for deleting the original???
    Running the Emergency Patch Removal Patch (App?) worked for me. It should remove all your installed patches, including SMS Tone per Contact. You'll then have to reinstall all your patches, but the most recent versions of Preware include a list of recently installed patches and apps, so that should make things a bit easier.

Emergency Patch Removal is available through Preware and WebOS Quick Install. Good luck!
    Last edited by kallan42; 05/13/2010 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Added information & Corrected grammar error
    thanks, i'll try that when i get a chance
    Quote Originally Posted by brewsterdmb View Post
    How do you change the default system sound setting with this new patch installed?
    Good question. Yes, the feature to change the default system sounds (alert and notification wav) are no longer present in this v2 patch. I did change them awhile back but reverted to the defaults since I actually didn't mind them. You can use the homebrew app MyNotifications to change or revert back to default. I also took your question to mean changing the default messaging tone - you can do this in the messaging preferences menu item.

BTW, I like this more streamlined patch plus I do have contacts that email me a text message so the added feature is quite welcome. Didn't have a problem removing the old patch and installing this one! Thanks jjvcuyler!
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    This patch wasn't working in tandem to the "Messaging Notification Repeat" patch because playmsgtone was failing with a "notifParams is not defined" error. I've included a fix:

--- notification-assistant.jsjsjs $Fri$ $May$ $14$ $14$:$57$:$19$ $2010$
    +++ notification-assistant.jsjsjs $Fri$ $May$ $14$ $14$:$56$:$33$ $2010$
    @@ -46,6 +46,8 @@

NotificationAssistant.prototype.playmsgtone = function(contact){
    Mojo.Log.error("Playmsgtone Ringtone: %j",contact.ringtoneLoc);
    + var notifParams = {};
    + this.setNotificationSound(notifParams);
    if (contact.ringtoneLoc)
    this.controller.playSoundNotification(notifParams.soundClass, contact.ringtoneLoc);
    else

What was happening is that "Messaging Notification Repeat" calls playmsgtone without creating the notifParams object. It looks like the best place to load it is in the playmsgtone function. If you disagree, I can submit a similar fix in the "Messaging Notification Repeat" forum.

Thanks for the great patch.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrenqj View Post
    This patch wasn't working in tandem to the "Messaging Notification Repeat" patch because playmsgtone was failing with a "notifParams is not defined" error. I've included a fix
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenqj View Post
    What was happening is that "Messaging Notification Repeat" calls playmsgtone without creating the notifParams object. It looks like the best place to load it is in the playmsgtone function. If you disagree, I can submit a similar fix in the "Messaging Notification Repeat" forum.

Thanks for the great patch.
    That looks like the perfect place. I've updated the patch in the first post in this thread and submitted the update to be included in Preware.
    is there any other patch this will conflict with I try to install it from preware and get an error I don't have the sms tone per contact installed
    I've been getting the same thing. It tells me to look at the IPKG log, but that doesn't really tell me anything either; i guess one of the core files got corrupted?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast