Page 1 of 20 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This patch is for Verizon users only.
    I do not recommend installing it on a non-Verizon device.

Please note: If this patch does not seem to help, try turning off all location services and only have GPS turned on. This seems to help some people. You may also need a restart (not just the luna refresh that WebOS Quick Install does) before it will work properly. I recommend using the Preware version of this patch, as WOSQI has sometimes had trouble installing it properly in my testing.

Dieter has an excellent write up explaining why out of the box GPS apps fall flat on their face on the Verizon Pre/Pixi, except for Verizon Navigator.

In typical Verizon shortsightedness, they have eliminated the ability of any applications other than Verizon Navigator to access aGPS. For most devices, this would be an annoyance, but the Pre is setup to be an aGPS device only out of the box (Shameless Plug: you can fix that ).

Thanks to Darthpooh, I believe I've tracked down the root cause of that, and created a work around for Verizon users. This patch--once installed--should allow Verizon users to acquire GPS coordinates in any app in the same time it'd take for Verizon Navigator to get it. And no jumping through hoops or workarounds required. Such as having to open Verizon Navigator to get Google Maps to work...or standing on your head while spinning counter clockwise on Monday (you don't want to see what you have to do on Tuesdays).

So far I've updated the major programs that are accessing GPS. I'm fairly confidant in the following:
    • (Some) Third party apps.
    • GPS based off the global search.
    • Notifcation based GPS lookups.
    • ###GPS#

Programs/applications that I haven't touched:
    • Photo GeoTagging

Please note: I do not own a Verizon phone, so I am relying on third party testing to verify that this works. I have had a successful test, but if your phone turns into a black hole and destroys the universe as we know it, it's not my fault!

For developers:
    (Non-developers can skip to the end)

Palm's documentation for getCurrentPosition only includes 3 parameters: accuracy, maximumAge, and responseTime.

There are two undocumented parameters: host and port.

Purely as an example, one might use the following code below on Verizon devices to grab a quick lock. Of course it's just an example, so the variables must be made up out of thin air.

Code:
    this.acc = 1;
    this.respTime = 3;
    this.pdeFQDN = 'PDEIS801.myvzw.com';
    this.pdePort = '8880';

this.StartTrackingRequest = new Mojo.Service.Request("palm://com.palm.location", {
    	method: 'getCurrentPosition',
    	parameters: {
    		appId: this.AppId,
    		accuracy: this.acc,
    		responseTime: this.respTime,
    		subscribe: 'false',
    		host: this.pdeFQDN,
    		port: this.pdePort},
    	onSuccess: this.GotGPSData.bind(this),
    	onFailure: this.GotGPSData.bind(this)
    });
    I leave it up to you to figure out how you know it's a Verizon device or not.

Patch is available in Preware, I highly recommend you install from there.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ebag333; 05/13/2010 at 09:28 AM.
    This patch are installed with a) Preware; b) WebOSQuick Install; c) all of the above?
  3.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post
    This patch are installed with a) Preware; b) WebOSQuick Install; c) all of the above?
    You can use WebOSQuick Install with the .patch file above, or wait for it to be added to Preware's list of patches.
    Just installed on 1.4.1.1 Pre. Works great!

EDIT: First time it went through great. Each time after my location is about 2 miles off.
    Last edited by smdion; 05/09/2010 at 03:01 PM.
    Just installed on Vzw 1.4.1.1 Pre+ No Worky here. Google maps still gets a crazy location.
  6.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Millilnaire2K View Post
    Just installed on Vzw 1.4.1.1 Pre+ No Worky here. Google maps still gets a crazy location.
    Did you reboot after installing?

It's also possible that you're in a poor location for GPS. No matter what the device does, your position will be inaccurate.
    a few times
  8.    #9  
    a few times
    Not sure what to tell you then. If you installed it properly, it *SHOULD* work. My next guess would be that your in a spot where your GPS signal is blocked or reflected, either of which can cause your location to be off.

You could try the QPST tweak I posted which can help with that particular problem, but may not solve it completely.
    I can still do the vznav trick to get google maps to work. so no my gps is fine. this patch just did nothing.
    I'd like to add... that I really had little to do with this other than "blue sky" the project. I've known what Verizon has done previously, and before the story ran about the lock down of aGPS... ebag had looked at the code and compared it with me. It was obvious to us that there was server side authentication going on with Verizon's Navigation software... it's just a simple way to repeat the authentication so other 3rd party apps (like Goggle Maps) don't fail in using aGPS to grab a quicker sat lock.

Ironically, this makes the device look poorly (i.e. defective) to end-users. While I think homebrew is great, and love the effort... crap like this shouldn't have to come from the users. Palm put out a disclaimer that basically points the finger at Verizon... Verizon, never responds because they think they are awesome. They spat, we lose. Tsk Tsk.
  11.    #12  
    I can still do the vznav trick to get google maps to work. so no my gps is fine. this patch just did nothing.
    Are you positive the patch is installed then?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Ironically, this makes the device look poorly (i.e. defective) to end-users. While I think homebrew is great, and love the effort... crap like this shouldn't have to come from the users. Palm put out a disclaimer that basically points the finger at Verizon... Verizon, never responds because they think they are awesome. They spat, we lose. Tsk Tsk.
    Amen. Why I'll never use Verizon, they consistently screw up every device they touch (even if they end up never carrying it, see the 800w).
    Installed via quick install 2 times now. Still don't work. Unless you got some magic touch you want to share, this patch dont work.
    Installed via quick install 2 times now. Still don't work. Unless you got some magic touch you want to share, this patch dont work.
    I've spoken to only 5 VZW users, all report back that it is solid. Now I know 5 isn't exactly overwhelming numbers...
    Just installed with quick install. checked preware and device management to make sure patch was installed. when i open google maps i lose my 3G and my phone signal. trying a luna restart again and a full restart if that does not work.
  15.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    I've spoken to only 5 VZW users, all report back that it is solid. Now I know 5 isn't exactly overwhelming numbers...
    Yup. Every person who's tried it has said it works.

Perhaps your device has a hardware issue in addition to everything else? I know some Sprint Pre's have had that problem, especially early revision ones.

Other than that, dunno what to say. Could be potentially a lot of different things, such as one patch stepping on another. Since I don't have a Verizon Pre or Pixi, it's impossible for me to troubleshoot. Good luck figuring it out, and let us know if you do.
    Ebag has skills!

(Not that I ever doubted)
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Same here. Installed, rebooted. accuracy in gmaps at least a half mile off. If I start VZ Navigator, exit it and start gmaps, then spot on in gmaps.

Just got the pre + about 3 weeks ago, will keep playing with it using different apps, I want it to work.

Thanks
    well the vznavigator trick never worked for me before. but with this patch i just tried it and got the closest gps lock i've ever gotten. told me i was in the building across the street from me. I will keep playing with this. maybe because i am indoors gmaps isnt gettin a good lock by itself (with the patch that is).
    So far so good after the first Luna restart! (after patch installed) I will try again after a few hours to see if it continues to work after the GPS goes to sleep

EDIT: After a few hours of not opening any GPS app., I could not get the GPS to wake up without the good 'ole VZ Nav trick. Bummer
    Last edited by Daniel_V; 05/09/2010 at 10:47 PM.
Page 1 of 20 12345611 ... LastLast