Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Hm, well doesn't seem to be working for me either. I tried several times with google services both on and off and Google maps still says i'm between 2-10 miles away from my actual location.

On a side note: on a few occasions after the patch was installed and google maps was opening, my service would drop and i would get "phone offline" in the top left of screen.
    OK, one more idea to contribute. I HAVE NOT FULLY TESTED THIS YET, and won't have time to do anything really rigorous in the next few days, but for this evening at least it seems to be good medicine.

If you follow ebag333's great thread at
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1947118

(and if you're brave enough to install all the tools required), go through that process EXCEPT for the "verizon" values for PDE IP and port. Looking at ebag333's latest patches, the hostname for the extra parameter is PDEIS801.myzvw.com. That appears to resolve to 66.174.94.132 (not surprisingly in hindsight, it only resolves through Vzw DNS, which threw me for a minute). Use that address and port 8880 instead.

For me, FOR INITIAL TESTING, this helps google maps, trapster, findmycar, and getStarbucks. Since it's in the phone settings (for the gpsOne module) I'd expect it to help everywhere.

ebag333 - all credit (and incredible thanks) to you for your work; this is just putting 2 and 2 together.

Anyone else - To echo ebag333's warnings, QPST is strong medicine and if you're not a computer scientist, be prepared for arcane incantations to get it going. But if you're up for it, I'd like to see if it helps in other environments.

--Rob
    OK, one more idea to contribute. I HAVE NOT FULLY TESTED THIS YET, and won't have time to do anything really rigorous in the next few days, but for this evening at least it seems to be good medicine.

If you follow ebag333's great thread at
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1947118

(and if you're brave enough to install all the tools required), go through that process EXCEPT for the "verizon" values for PDE IP and port. Looking at ebag333's latest patches, the hostname for the extra parameter is PDEIS801.myzvw.com. That appears to resolve to 66.174.94.132 (not surprisingly in hindsight, it only resolves through Vzw DNS, which threw me for a minute). Use that address and port 8880 instead.

For me, FOR INITIAL TESTING, this helps google maps, trapster, findmycar, and getStarbucks. Since it's in the phone settings (for the gpsOne module) I'd expect it to help everywhere.

ebag333 - all credit (and incredible thanks) to you for your work; this is just putting 2 and 2 together.

Anyone else - To echo ebag333's warnings, QPST is strong medicine and if you're not a computer scientist, be prepared for arcane incantations to get it going. But if you're up for it, I'd like to see if it helps in other environments.

--Rob
    One other question - has anyone looked at the Pixi on Verizon to see what if anything it does differently? My wife's phone pretty uniformly gets a quick and accurate lock.

So far, I haven't convinced her to let me play with it. But if nobody else is looking into that route (Palm code and/or QPST settings), I will try to persuade her in the name of science.

Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Is that with one of the poundGPS patches?

If so, that's a big clue.....
    Yes that is with one of your poundGPS patches. I will get "Unknown Error." Before the pound gps patch I used to simply get "Position Unavailable"

Again sometimes (seems semi rare) it WILL lock on my position.

Do you think the QPST would be of use?
    Do you want me to send you any logs/messages off my phone?

I'll do some more testing, but the last time I had it working I did just a device restart (not a full shut down/battery pull). Also after alot more reading I'm not sure it is a "sleep" issue (turning "on location services" through a prompt does not seem to bring it back) ... though it may be.

Also I just wanted to thank you again, Ebag, for all the work you have done here (and you don't even have a Verizon phone!)

I will play with this some more as the day goes on and give more information.

edit:
    re-applied the patch and am simply getting "Error occurred" this morning. =/
    Last edited by nulsul; 05/11/2010 at 06:25 AM.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knauerhase View Post
    Looking at ebag333's latest patches, the hostname for the extra parameter is PDEIS801.myzvw.com. That appears to resolve to 66.174.94.132 (not surprisingly in hindsight, it only resolves through Vzw DNS, which threw me for a minute). Use that address and port 8880 instead.
    Don't tell me that this whole GPS problem is being caused by Verizon's DNS! I just tried through my Sprint Pre, and the above name does not resolve. On my VZW Pre Plus, it resolves to the IP address above. If someone is using a roaming partner's data services, would this still resolve to the correct name? Would it really matter if it resolved or not, ie: if you're not on Verizon's data network, does this aGPS server know where you're at?

I'd be curious to see the results of a "ping PDEIS801.myzvw.com" from anyone who is on VZW and still isn't getting an accurate GPS fix, just to rule out the possibility that the problem isn't being caused by something this simple.....
    Quote Originally Posted by nulsul View Post

i am telling you that the solution is here -- i have had solid GPS since i used the qpst

personally i believe that if you do the qpst method -- turn on google services --turn on auto locate and the gps -- let it burn for a day and as you wait the GPS will (should) get better and better -- it did for me
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    i am telling you that the solution is here -- i have had solid GPS since i used the qpst

personally i believe that if you do the qpst method -- turn on google services --turn on auto locate and the gps -- let it burn for a day and as you wait the GPS will (should) get better and better -- it did for me
    I will do this modified as knauerhase suggests and report back later tonight... (dont have access to a computer I can "acquire" QPST on)

Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Don't tell me that this whole GPS problem is being caused by Verizon's DNS! I just tried through my Sprint Pre, and the above name does not resolve. On my VZW Pre Plus, it resolves to the IP address above. If someone is using a roaming partner's data services, would this still resolve to the correct name? Would it really matter if it resolved or not, ie: if you're not on Verizon's data network, does this aGPS server know where you're at?

I'd be curious to see the results of a "ping PDEIS801.myzvw.com" from anyone who is on VZW and still isn't getting an accurate GPS fix, just to rule out the possibility that the problem isn't being caused by something this simple.....
    I can ping it. Two things, 1 it is myvzw.com (typo) and 2 my ping resolved to 66.174.95.132 not 66.174.94.132
    Last edited by nulsul; 05/11/2010 at 07:55 AM.
    So what of the users who are stuck with this patch because of the error mentioned a few times in this thread? I have seen user after user with this problem being overlooked. I understand this is "install at your own risk" but a way to remove this problematic patch without having to doctor our phones has to be there. CAN ANYONE HELP?
  10.    #170  
    Quote Originally Posted by squeezy View Post
    So what of the users who are stuck with this patch because of the error mentioned a few times in this thread? I have seen user after user with this problem being overlooked.
    Where do you see that the problem is "being overlooked?" Have I not been doing my best to troubleshoot? Have I not asked for users to test two other patches so I can get more information on what's going on?

I understand this is "install at your own risk" but a way to remove this problematic patch without having to doctor our phones has to be there. CAN ANYONE HELP?
    Uninstall the patch. That's all you do. (In WebOS: Tools -> Device Management)

If you do not know how to install and uninstall patches, you probably shouldn't be messing with them in the first place.
    So what of the users who are stuck with this patch because of the error mentioned a few times in this thread? I have seen user after user with this problem being overlooked. I understand this is "install at your own risk" but a way to remove this problematic patch without having to doctor our phones has to be there. CAN ANYONE HELP?
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...val-steps.html

I have a 14 year old boy -- i would tell him to use the search button

you - i offer the above link there may or may not be helpful information there -- i have had to doctor a few times so i understand your reluctance --think of it as spring cleaning and hope you don't get as good at it as i have

remember this the more you patch and tweak the more chance you will run into exactly the situation you find yourself in right now -- alwase keep your stuff backed up and your saturday afternoons open
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    OK, uninstalled the original patch, and then did the old card VZV Navigator this morning. Instant lock at work, and accurate. Weird. So somehow that dumps the old cache or something.

As an aside, those of you complaining about causing difficulties with your phone after installing this experimental patch, I think it is reasonable to proceed at your own risk here. This is truly experimental for which the author is providing free expertise to see if the aGPS problem can be solved. If you are not willing to put up with the possible hassle of doctoring your phone, then you should not install these experimental patches until they are determined to be reliable. I am happy to test and am willing to put up with possible unanticipated side effects. That is just how alpha testing works!

I will install the new patch later today and try it.
    I understand this is "install at your own risk" but a way to remove this problematic patch without having to doctor our phones has to be there. CAN ANYONE HELP?

I was also able to see and remove the patch via Preware 1.0.

-
  14.    #174  
    Patch should be up in Preware.

Use at your own risk.
  15.    #175  
    Quote Originally Posted by nulsul View Post
    Yes that is with one of your poundGPS patches. I will get "Unknown Error." Before the pound gps patch I used to simply get "Position Unavailable"

Again sometimes (seems semi rare) it WILL lock on my position.

Do you want me to send you any logs/messages off my phone?

I'll do some more testing, but the last time I had it working I did just a device restart (not a full shut down/battery pull). Also after alot more reading I'm not sure it is a "sleep" issue (turning "on location services" through a prompt does not seem to bring it back) ... though it may be.

Also I just wanted to thank you again, Ebag, for all the work you have done here (and you don't even have a Verizon phone!)

I will play with this some more as the day goes on and give more information.

edit:
    re-applied the patch and am simply getting "Error occurred" this morning. =/
    Okay, that's VERY interesting.

With the patch, if you get "Unknown Error" (which is different from "GPS Returned Unknown Error"!!!), then the GPS call actually succeeded, but returned a value that Palm doesn't allow for. Only 0 through 8 are good return codes, so it returned something else.

"Error occurred" actually means the GPS call failed, which is what I would expect to see if it was busy or asleep and didn't respond to the call.

I'm currently tweaking the poundGPS app to provide even more detail and hopefully break down what's going on.

If you do not know how to install and uninstall patches, you probably shouldn't be messing with them in the first place.
    I am in the process of running WebOS Repair Utility to try and fix the problem.

I would not be having a problem if "Uninstall the patch, that's all you do" was that simple. I know how to install patches. I know how to uninstall patches. When said patches are either corrupt or do not function properly on my phone is when I ask for help. As I said in my first post, I've installed and uninstalled a few times with this patch trying to test it. The last time I installed it I got the error I mentioned, and since then the patch always displays in QI ready to be installed, but no where in Device Management.

Hopefully RU will repair my GPS, if not, thankfully I have the whole day off to start with a clean slate.
  17.    #177  
    I am in the process of running WebOS Repair Utility to try and fix the problem.

I would not be having a problem if "Uninstall the patch, that's all you do" was that simple. I know how to install patches. I know how to uninstall patches. When said patches are either corrupt or do not function properly on my phone is when I ask for help. As I said in my first post, I've installed and uninstalled a few times with this patch trying to test it. The last time I installed it I got the error I mentioned, and since then the patch always displays in QI ready to be installed, but no where in Device Management.

Hopefully RU will repair my GPS, if not, thankfully I have the whole day off to start with a clean slate.
    Every time I've had a problem with QI, uninstalling all the patches (sometimes there is more than one listed) and rebooting the device has worked. I've yet to need to do more than that.

The patch is not corrupt, and it does function properly. Many people have posted confirming this.

This patch does not solve all the problems with GPS, nor was it expected to. There are multiple issues here, and this is a preliminary patch.
    Not sure if this has been stated yet but this patch is now in Preware. I downloaded and installed it about 20 minutes ago and so far so good.

Thanks for your hard work Ebag333!
    Hi Ebag333,
    I confirmed with a precentral member but wanted to get it directly from the creater......... this patch can still help Pre users that do have Verizon Navigator installed. Is this correct? I have Verizon Navigator installed but the GPS locating is not great.
    Cheers,
    PPR
    Okay, that's VERY interesting.

With the patch, if you get "Unknown Error" (which is different from "GPS Returned Unknown Error"!!!), then the GPS call actually succeeded, but returned a value that Palm doesn't allow for. Only 0 through 8 are good return codes, so it returned something else.

"Error occurred" actually means the GPS call failed, which is what I would expect to see if it was busy or asleep and didn't respond to the call.

I'm currently tweaking the poundGPS app to provide even more detail and hopefully break down what's going on.
    Now that you mention it I did actually receive "GPS Returned Unknown Error" (sorry if this was a wild goose chase).

I have not been able to get a GPS lock today. Only "Error occurred" I've attached my poundGPS so you can take a gander at it. With my antenna off I get "Error occurred" not any of your nifty errors; would this be correct?
    Attached Files Attached Files
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast