Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glevitan View Post
    Ok sorry if this is insanely ignorant....but why am i unable to install this via WEBOS Quickinstall??? When i search for files to install it only looks for .ipk files. Shouldnt it be allowing .patch files as well?!?! What am i doing wrong?

Phone in dev mode, charge only etc etc.
    click the plus button and search for the .patch file. webosqi will do .patch files.
    Installed the aGPS patch and it doesn't follow my phone it takes like up to five min for it to update where my phone is. most of the time i had to close google maps and reopen it to find my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    click the plus button and search for the .patch file. webosqi will do .patch files.
    I just click-drag the files into the wosqi window and hit install. That's the easiest method, I've found.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    I just click-drag the files into the wosqi window and hit install. That's the easiest method, I've found.
    WTH......i tried both methods and its not working....do i maybe have an older version of WBEOSQE??? Whats the latest version?
    Quote Originally Posted by glevitan View Post
    WTH......i tried both methods and its not working....do i maybe have an older version of WBEOSQE??? Whats the latest version?
    3.12 I believe. I had a similar problem of not being able to install and realized there's a new version. That remedied it.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Well, on my trip to work, at some point GPS went to sleep, I could only wakeup with VZNav. and While connected to a WIFi network my location was very off.

This Patch is working better than previous to installing it though and I'll continue to test it
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    I will try the new patches. But here is some behavior I have not seen posted:

When at home, Google Maps found me right away, even indoors. That was yesterday. Today I drove to work, fired up Google Maps, and after about 10 seconds it told me that I was at home, 10 miles away. So the gps data must be cached somewhere. It did not change. I tried YPMobile, and same thing. How to clear the cache?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Guys:

Saying "It doesn't work" doesn't help.

Please follow the steps given in the post linked below. If it doesn't work for you, I'm sorry, but I can't help you without more info, so there's no point in you posting to let me know.

Not picking on anyone, but we have a couple dozen posts of "it doesn't work" which causes the useful posts to get buried in a flood.

If you want to do troubleshooting, which would be useful, see this post:
    http://forums.precentral.net/2443767-post118.html
    "Unknown Error"

edit:
    I believe I may be seeing the "go to sleep" issue
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...rizon-gps.html

when it does work (I have got it to work several times), I do get a fix in around 30 sec, which is better than before.
    Last edited by nulsul; 05/10/2010 at 07:08 PM.
  9. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    It seems to have done the trick for me. Will monitor and report back.
    Now I cannot uninstall this patch. I have installed and uninstalled it a few times now hoping to get it to work correctly for me, it has been showing my location off my a few hundred feet. My last time installing it I received this error

Code:
    ERROR5:

Command:Put file///var/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.patches.Verizon GPS/Verizon GPS.patch

Reply:File open failed
    It does not show up in Device Management anywhere, but I know it is still installed. How? My GPS is working the same as it was with it installed, showing the wrong location. Before installing this it was dead on. Is there anything I can run in command line to uninstall this, the LAST thing I want to do is a doctor my phone.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Thanks for getting this fix up so quickly! Foursquare, here I come/
    Quote Originally Posted by MiDoJo View Post
    Well, on my trip to work, at some point GPS went to sleep, I could only wakeup with VZNav. and While connected to a WIFi network my location was very off.

This Patch is working better than previous to installing it though and I'll continue to test it
    Turn off Auto Locate; that should allow you to use other GPS apps (like Google Maps or even Minimap) to wake up the GPS, since the act of allowing Location Services seems to kickstart the GPS. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    fail!!
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I dont about yall but i have to have WiFi on to get a fix. this is similar to before the patch but it seems to be more spot on with this patch. ##477# and the vz nav tricks never worked for me, still dont. for those its still not working for, maybe try turning on wifi.
  15.    #155  
    Quote Originally Posted by nulsul View Post
    "Unknown Error"

edit:
    I believe I may be seeing the "go to sleep" issue
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...rizon-gps.html

when it does work (I have got it to work several times), I do get a fix in around 30 sec, which is better than before.
    Is that with one of the poundGPS patches?

If so, that's a big clue.....
    deleted and went to install again...during the transfer process my pre restarts while the file seems to still be transfering, i think a couple of people ahd this issue, any tips? the patch shows as installed in preware however.

GPS is still same as usual, aka BUSTED
    For those who are having problems...

At the bottom of this post is a patch. It modifies the ##GPS# screen to provide more info (instead of a generic "Position Unavailable" message).

There are two versions of this. The "Sprint" version is basically what's currently there (so works for all phones, including Verizon). In other words it'll use ###GPS# without using the Verizon aGPS server information. The "Verizon" version adds the aGPS server information.

I would recommend uninstalling the original patch before using this one, as this steps on the same code that the original patch does.

If you are having problems, please try this:

1) Uninstall the original patch.
    2) Install the "Sprint" version.
    3) Run through various scenarios, with/without Verizon Navigator running, with location services on/off, with GPS on/off, etc. I suggest you reboot between each test.
    4) Uninstall the "Sprint" version.
    5) Install the "Verizon" version.
    6) Run through the same tests as in step 3.

Of course take screenshots (black out the lat/long if you're worried about someone seeing where you are), and post here for review.
    I conducted all these test inside as it is pouring down rain outside tonight. Probably didn't help my overall signal strength.

Following the instructions above I removed the original patch and installed the Sprint Patch, first ##GPS# resulted in a GPS error message. Second test resulted in a long 2+ min fix with a message stating GPS fix appeared to be poor. Google maps returned no result.
    Ran V Navigator and Google maps found me exactly.

Side note, my phone data connections acted very strangely with the sprint patch applied, losing all connections to the cell and 3G network several times during the process.

Proceeded to the next round of test with the #VZN patch applied.

##GPS# resulted in the same message and results as the sprint patch. Google maps spotted me within a few houses of my location this time though after less than minute even without opening VZ Navigator

Opening VZ Navigator had no affect on the speed or location results of the ##GPS# test.

I removed the VZN# Patch, rebooted and repeated the test patchless. Both ##GPS# and Google Maps refused to locate me (at least within 5 minutes).

In all test Location services on or off seemed to make no difference.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dndrich View Post
    I will try the new patches. But here is some behavior I have not seen posted:

When at home, Google Maps found me right away, even indoors. That was yesterday. Today I drove to work, fired up Google Maps, and after about 10 seconds it told me that I was at home, 10 miles away. So the gps data must be cached somewhere. It did not change. I tried YPMobile, and same thing. How to clear the cache?
    turning on wifi seems to work for me
  19.    #159  
    Quote Originally Posted by KCTraveler View Post
    I conducted all these test inside as it is pouring down rain outside tonight. Probably didn't help my overall signal strength.

Following the instructions above I removed the original patch and installed the Sprint Patch, first ##GPS# resulted in a GPS error message. Second test resulted in a long 2+ min fix with a message stating GPS fix appeared to be poor. Google maps returned no result.
    Ran V Navigator and Google maps found me exactly.

Side note, my phone data connections acted very strangely with the sprint patch applied, losing all connections to the cell and 3G network several times during the process.
    I got the strange acting cell/3G as well. It appears to be a side effect of resetting the Pre when installing a patch. A reboot fixed it for me.

Hard to tell if the poor GPS was due to the phone resetting or an actual problem......

Thanks for taking the time to test it. That provides a lot of info.
    I got the strange acting cell/3G as well. It appears to be a side effect of resetting the Pre when installing a patch. A reboot fixed it for me.

Hard to tell if the poor GPS was due to the phone resetting or an actual problem......

Thanks for taking the time to test it. That provides a lot of info.
    I re-installed the #Verizion specific patch tonight and will try some test outside tomm.

-
    Unless you would prefer me to use the Sprint patch.
    Last edited by KCTraveler; 05/11/2010 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Added question
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast