Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    "reboot" or full power off, pull the battery for 3-5 minutes....??? also make sure EVERYTHING is off in location services - preferences..... neither gps or google should be checked in prefs
    I did do a full power off before...

It does appear to be working! I

I unchecked GPS and pulled the battery. This appears to have been the ticket, I was able to get a fix in 30 sec in ##477# (google maps worked as well).

Thanks!
    VZW user here, been using it some since last night, just Google Maps with only gps on. It has my location off by 500+ yards. Same results after testing with vznav open. After uninstalling it and using VZnav and Google Maps it shows my correct location.
    Okay, here's yet another update, using the QPST settings and the latest patch: I still need to launch VZ Navigator once in order to get the initial fix. Once I do, though, the other applications (now including Minimap, which didn't work before, and also the alpha test of Navit) get very accurate fixes almost *instantly*, whether or not VZ Navigator is launched. This situation seems to stick until a power on/off cycle; neither restarting Luna nor Java Services alters it.

Note that I haven't gone anywhere else yet today, and haven't tested it in motion. Stay tuned. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Another's data point:
    Verizon/Pre plus user.
    Installed the initial patch via WOSQI. Turned off google services. After reboot, I restarted the pre+ again, but did not pull battery. Found that
    a) without verizon navigator, GPS didn't work at all in google maps.
    b) with google services back on, GPS location is inaccurate in google maps (~0.5 miles off).
    c) with google services back off, and with verizon navigator opened, initially position can't be found in google maps. After a few 10's of seconds, position locks to a very accurate location.

Since I use mode switcher, I have the modes where I use google maps set to automatically open verizon navigator, so while not optimal, it is still an improvement. Previously for me, when I opened verizon navigator, the "inaccurate" position would briefly get corrected, but then after ~a minute, it would go back to being off and never correct itself (even with verizon navigator still open).
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Ebagg333 we have success. As jonathon sad an initial lock (VZnav in his case Gmaps in mine so any lock seems to do it) I was able to (after a 15 min break from initial fix) download and test Geotasks free.
    so short hand
    1) Got fix
    2) waited a long time (inorder to lose fix)
    3) set geotasks to a task which alerts me within .25 miles)
    4) drive toward loction of task
    5) reach .25 miles
    6) task successfully reminds

Note: this is with original task…i somehow missed the post with the new task :-S
    Works great thanks for all the work you have done.
    There appear to be TWO problems with the Palm Pre Plus GPS. First is the aGPS issue which this patch seems to address successfully. The second appears to be that the GPS function appears to "go to sleep" and cannot be woken until VZNav is started or the battery is pulled and replaced. This thread hopes to address the second issue: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...rizon-gps.html

Several times I have experienced the second issue and VZNav was NOT able to wake the GPS. I had to do the battery pull and replace before anything would see the GPS again. I found that a Java restart would get the GPS recognized again but I could not get a lock until I did the above.

Some interesting info:
    VZNav is not made by VZW but instead by a company called TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (TCS) (formally Networks in Motion (NiM)). They appear to be a technology partner with Qualcomm. I'm wondering if they have some insight in programming for the Qualcomm chips that are in Pre that they are not sharing.
    When will this patch be in Preware, if ever?
    Tried everything (rebooting, toggling on/off gps and google services, etc etc..) and I still have trouble locking until I open VZnav.

However, during installation of the patch, my phone reset before WOSQI finished "transferring/installing patch." It says under device management that the patch is installed already, but I have a feeling it never fully did.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamKillerJKFFL View Post
    Ebag333,

Comments:
    As much as I dislike The Man and his silly monkey ways, I think that it's possible it actually was just an oversight on Verizon's part. It does make the device look bad. They (Palm/Verizon) should officially fix it or forever face the wrath of our blatant criticism and seething sarchasm..... uh forever.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cr_8_tiv View Post
    Tried everything (rebooting, toggling on/off gps and google services, etc etc..) and I still have trouble locking until I open VZnav.

However, during installation of the patch, my phone reset before WOSQI finished "transferring/installing patch." It says under device management that the patch is installed already, but I have a feeling it never fully did.
    same here
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AWChuck View Post
    Several times I have experienced the second issue and VZNav was NOT able to wake the GPS. I had to do the battery pull and replace before anything would see the GPS again. I found that a Java restart would get the GPS recognized again but I could not get a lock until I did the above.
    You shouldn't need to do a Batt. pull for this a simple reboot should work fine.
    Batt pull with this patch to originally get it to work yes. Batt pull when Nav can't wake GPS I shouldn't think that is needed.

When will this patch be in Preware, if ever?
    When it's ready to and when Internals has time to upload it into Preware.org. It would be silly to upload it to preware until the majority of people are reporting sucess IMHO. Currently we're all still testing it ( including there being various versions listed in this thread for testing)
    More testing... After my inital 'working' lock of less than 30 sec, I turned off GPS, went inside, full rebooted, sat inside (out of GPS signal) for a while. Went back outside, turned on GPS, tried to get a fix via ##477# or google maps and neither could locate me AT ALL. Turned GPS off (again) rebooted the phone and it found me at around ~1min 20 sec... =/
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    same here
    Quote Originally Posted by cr_8_tiv View Post

same...
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nulsul View Post
    same...
    +1
  16.    #136  
    Guys:

Saying "It doesn't work" doesn't help.

Please follow the steps given in the post linked below. If it doesn't work for you, I'm sorry, but I can't help you without more info, so there's no point in you posting to let me know.

Not picking on anyone, but we have a couple dozen posts of "it doesn't work" which causes the useful posts to get buried in a flood.

If you want to do troubleshooting, which would be useful, see this post:
    http://forums.precentral.net/2443767-post118.html
    People should wait a few hours after the initial install, try using GPS again, and then report success/failures
    Quote Originally Posted by MiDoJo View Post
    You shouldn't need to do a Batt. pull for this a simple reboot should work fine.
    Batt pull with this patch to originally get it to work yes. Batt pull when Nav can't wake GPS I shouldn't think that is needed.

When it's ready...
    The "sleeping" GPS issue exists whether or not this patch is installed. Not aGPS patch related in any way AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.

Understood on the Preware topic.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    The "sleeping" GPS issue exists whether or not this patch is installed. Not aGPS patch related in any way AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.

Understood on the Preware topic.
    I understand and didn't mean to insinuate it had to do with the patch. Just that battery pull might be extreme and device reboot is all I have ever needed to fix the sleeping gps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_V View Post
    People should wait a few hours after the initial install, try using GPS again, and then report success/failures
    I agree. I was one who was unable to get a signal. Today (~12 hours after install) I pulled the batt for 2-3 min put it back in went outside and got a signal. Since then i've regularly check by Google Maps_ Geotasks and "MyGps" and with and without reboot and it has work perfectly. I'm about to drive to the next town over (about 20 min 40 miles) and will report if my gps tracks me without keeping any programs open. I'm am optomistic that it will work perfectly.
    Ok sorry if this is insanely ignorant....but why am i unable to install this via WEBOS Quickinstall??? When i search for files to install it only looks for .ipk files. Shouldnt it be allowing .patch files as well?!?! What am i doing wrong?

Phone in dev mode, charge only etc etc.
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast