Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    If I currently subscribe to Verizon Navigator, do I need this patch? (i.e.- will this patch benefit me if I'm using Verizon Navigator anyhow)? I do use third party apps that utilize GPS.
    Thanks,
    PPR
    Quote Originally Posted by reidoreilly View Post
    do you have google services OFF? If not, turn off all location services, reboot, and then only turn on GPS.
    ****this should probably be edited into ebagg's first post on this thread.****

YES!!!!!!!! I had google servs on...follwed above inst. And BAM...gpsdash lock in under 30s and that was coming from under an oak tree canopy... FINALLY ACCURATE GPS IN THE TREES!!!! I will continue to test this patch and report here!
    First, as a reminder, I have already enabled the full suite of GPS modes via QPST and the instructions in this other wonderful thread. Second, having just switched from a Sprint Pre to a Verizon Pre Plus last Friday, I am very familiar with the Sprint GPS functionality.

To update, I had had some success with this new patch getting a fixed location under most of the GPS-enabled features of my new Pre Plus (Google Maps, Kosher2Go, YPMobile) but not all (Minimap would not get a GPS fix even under the patch unless VZNavigator was open), so I tried the next step: moving.

Result: Failure.

This morning, I launched Google Maps at my house, saw it get a fix, and drove my son to school. Looked down and saw....my Pre Plus thought it was still at my house. Hit the icon to get a new fix and...it was still at my house. Apparently, it could get a lock, but not continue to poll the GPS. In frustration (or, more charitably, by way of experiment), I clicked "Buy" to start the 30-day free trial of VZ Navigator, and once it launched, both it and Google Maps (and even Minimap) were able to track me in motion.

I've just uninstalled the aGPS patch, and will continue to see what results I get both with and without the (now purchased) VZ Navigator running. I also hope to download and install Navit (I'd held off on my Sprint Pre because of the map size, but my extra 8GB on the Pre Plus makes it much more doable) and test it out both ways too.

Please note that I am *not* in any way criticizing Ebag333's efforts on this: he/she has done tremendous work both here and previously in improving the Pre and Pre Plus GPS functionality. I am fully confident that this issue will be solved soon and, even if the fix comes from Palm and/or Verizon, the impetus for it will be this thread and the reporting on PreCentral that proved the problem was real. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    To update, I had had some success with this new patch getting a fixed location under most of the GPS-enabled features of my new Pre Plus (Google Maps, Kosher2Go, YPMobile) but not all (Minimap would not get a GPS fix even under the patch unless VZNavigator was open), so I tried the next step: moving.

Result: Failure.

I've just uninstalled the aGPS patch, and will continue to see what results I get both with and without the (now purchased) VZ Navigator running.

So you would say for now .........if you have VZ Navigator running on your device. Patch isn't going to help your third party apps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm_Pre_Rocks View Post
    So you would say for now .........if you have VZ Navigator running on your device. Patch isn't going to help your third party apps?
    I am not ready to reach any conclusions about the patch, especially since I don't know whether having subscribed to VZ Navigator matters if it's not running when I try the other apps. For now, I'm in testing mode, and since I have a standalone Magellan GPS in my car, most of my Pre Plus GPS needs aren't mission-critical, so I'm not worried about the issue yet (or unhappy having purchased the Pre Plus). {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    First, SUPERB job to all who put this together. I'd double your pay for all the work you did if you were gettign paid for this! ;-)

Unfortunately, no joy for me either I am sorry to report. I tried all the advice on this thread after the patch including turning off Google Services, rebooting, etc. and, yet, the only way I can get a fix is if I run the Verizon Navigator app which is the same condition I was in before the patch, so either I'm missing something or there is something different about some of these pre's versus the others that are reporting it worked.
    Rgds/Mark M.
    So what navigation apps can we use now?
    Quote Originally Posted by mmeltser View Post
    First, SUPERB job to all who put this together. I'd double your pay for all the work you did if you were gettign paid for this! ;-)

Unfortunately, no joy for me either I am sorry to report. I tried all the advice on this thread after the patch including turning off Google Services, rebooting, etc. and, yet, the only way I can get a fix is if I run the Verizon Navigator app which is the same condition I was in before the patch, so either I'm missing something or there is something different about some of these pre's versus the others that are reporting it worked.
    you may need to shutdown and pull the battery. also make sure the google services is off BEFORE you shut down. that's what seemed to work for me. i'm getting much faster locks, and the "pre-lock" location is much closer....
    if the patch works for you (ie you followed the install info) then you should see improved gps functionality in most 3rd party apps no matter if vznav is running or not or hidden. the patch, in essence, gives most 3rd party apps access to the same aGPS data that vznav accesses to give you a semi-accurate position before you get an actual GPS lock.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    you may need to shutdown and pull the battery. also make sure the google services is off BEFORE you shut down. that's what seemed to work for me. i'm getting much faster locks, and the "pre-lock" location is much closer....
    Just go into Google Maps to shut down google services?
    Is the patch up in Preware yet? Any arrival time?
    Later,
    PPR
    Patch did not help me (in ##447# or google maps). I will be testing further though... I have google data services turned off, did the reboot etc... still no luck. Thanks for the effort! Keep at it =)
    Just go into Google Maps to shut down google services?
    Is the patch up in Preware yet? Any arrival time?
    Later,
    PPR
    goto "location services" --> preferences --> "locate me using" --> GPS-checked, google services unchecked
    Quote Originally Posted by nulsul View Post
    Patch did not help me (in ##447# or google maps). I will be testing further though... I have google data services turned off, did the reboot etc... still no luck. Thanks for the effort! Keep at it =)
    "reboot" or full power off, pull the battery for 3-5 minutes....??? also make sure EVERYTHING is off in location services - preferences..... neither gps or google should be checked in prefs
    Worked beautousmly for me!
    I've noticed that GPSDashboard and GMaps don't seem to work as well until I do a GPS Fix. Kind of sucks because I could just as easily do the VZNav trick (because it still is requiring an intermediate step to "kick start" GPS access).
    Nope, no joy here. Still need to start VZNav, wait for lock, close/decline VZNav to get anything to work.

did VZ bork the aGPS again stuff just to spite us?
    I installed the patch using webOS Quick Installer, and after a full restart it works well on my Palm Pre+. My GPS pointed to within 3 ft of my position. I was unable to get a lock from within my building, but outside it got it pretty quickly.

GPS: On
    Google Services: Off
    Geo Tagging: On
    Auto Locate: On

Install Patch file, wait for phone to boot up, then restarted the phone manually using the power button.
  18.    #118  
    For those who are having problems...

At the bottom of this post is a patch. It modifies the ##GPS# screen to provide more info (instead of a generic "Position Unavailable" message).

There are two versions of this. The "Sprint" version is basically what's currently there (so works for all phones, including Verizon). In other words it'll use ###GPS# without using the Verizon aGPS server information. The "Verizon" version adds the aGPS server information.

I would recommend uninstalling the original patch before using this one, as this steps on the same code that the original patch does.

If you are having problems, please try this:

1) Uninstall the original patch.
    2) Install the "Sprint" version.
    3) Run through various scenarios, with/without Verizon Navigator running, with location services on/off, with GPS on/off, etc. I suggest you reboot between each test.
    4) Uninstall the "Sprint" version.
    5) Install the "Verizon" version.
    6) Run through the same tests as in step 3.

Of course take screenshots (black out the lat/long if you're worried about someone seeing where you are), and post here for review.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    Yep, did that. Turned all location services off. Shutdown. Pulled battery. Waited 3-4 mins for all electrons to drain out :-), rebooted, enabled GPS, rebooted. Google maps can't find me at all, gps dashboard, and ##477# can't find anything. Ran VZ Navigator, and everything came to life. Nothing I can't live with (its not that hard to tap the VZ Navigator icon), just disappointing. I'll leave the patch there to see if it works at other than my work parking lot.

EDIT: Pulled battery yet again (boy, its a pain to get the back off this phone) and, this time, it seemed to work. Don't know that I'm a fan of having Google maps come up with the world view until it can figure out where I am, but I suppose it's better than saying I'm 2 miles away like it had been doing.
    Last edited by mmeltser; 05/10/2010 at 11:45 AM.
    Rgds/Mark M.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    I think I'm going to try an experiment with WebOS Doctor sometime today and try it on a clean phone.
    The only thing I can't try is on a phone with No VZW bought already so
    EBagg333, Can you add a Poll?

A) Patch Works Always: VZNAV not Bought
    B) Patch Works Always: VZNAV Bought
    C) Patch Works Never: VZNAV not Bought
    D) Patch Works Never: VZNAV Bought
    E) Patch Sometimes works

When I new version of the patch comes, I would suggest deleting the Poll and re-polling (I don't know if vBulletin allows you to erase all votes and start over or if you'll have to delete the poll and then re-add the poll)

EDIT: Pulled my Battery 2-3 Min rebooted phone, Googlemaps no fix. Went outside Google Maps got a fix.Going to drive somewhere and see in maps can keep it's fix or if, Like PalmPreLawyer the GPSPolling is not doing it yet.
    Last edited by MiDoJo; 05/10/2010 at 11:29 AM.