Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    I installed the patch via WOSQI and the phone rebooted. Checked to see if I could get a fix via ##GPS# but no luck. Google Maps it seems to give me an (inaccurate) location based off the cell towers (large diameter circle). I tried inside and outside to get a GPS position with ##GPS# and with WiFi off and on. I tried another complete reboot but no change.

I am running the Uber-Kernel and a handful of patches although none GPS related. If there is any specific information I can provide that might help let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by KCTraveler View Post
    I installed the patch via WOSQI and the phone rebooted. Checked to see if I could get a fix via ##GPS# but no luck. Google Maps it seems to give me an (inaccurate) location based off the cell towers (large diameter circle). I tried inside and outside to get a GPS position with ##GPS# and with WiFi off and on. I tried another complete reboot but no change.

I am running the Uber-Kernel and a handful of patches although none GPS related. If there is any specific information I can provide that might help let me know.
    do you have google services OFF? If not, turn off all location services, reboot, and then only turn on GPS.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Hmmm, still not working for me. I have found multiple sets of PDE hosts from google searches. Is it possible that different people should be using different PDE hosts?
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    In the middle of the install, my phone rebooted and essentially wiped it. I don't even have the original pre wallpaper and everything that isn't baseline software is gone. I had forgotten what the phone used to look like.

I am rebooting now and looking up the info to restore (I hope) all my apps.

I have never had a problem with any app, patch, tweak, etc. before.

So, much as I appreciate your efforts, I would urge caution.

5 minutes later . . .

Good news! Everything is back after a full reboot.
    Last edited by nxd10; 05/09/2010 at 09:42 PM.
    Finally a fix! This worked great for me. I had never been able to get a GPS fix using the ##GPS#, but once I installed this patch, shut down and removed the battery and restarted, the ##GPS# located me under 30 seconds and within 30 feet or so....absolutely amazing! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    When it is advised to turn off "Google Services" does that mean email, contact, etc sync with google services or something else? I use the above to sync with outlook through google and would hate to lose it. Or it is the GPS location services?
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdunn View Post
    When it is advised to turn off "Google Services" does that mean email, contact, etc sync with google services or something else? I use the above to sync with outlook through google and would hate to lose it. Or it is the GPS location services?
    no in Location services there are two types of GPS. Google Services is one of them
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNNole View Post
    Hmmm, still not working for me. I have found multiple sets of PDE hosts from google searches. Is it possible that different people should be using different PDE hosts?
    Update: If I turn off Google Services I can get a quick lock, but not a very accurate one (accuracy between 25-30 yards, my GPS usually gets ~5 yards or less when it is working - necessary for GolfPinFinder). Maybe this is just a temporary poor signal.

If Google Services is turned on, ##477# gets no position at all, and other apps (Google Maps, YPMobile) get the cell tower position (roughly 1/4 mile off).

This is different behavior than before the patch. I will play with it for a day or two to see if anything changes. One test doesn't really mean anything since the GPS was so erratic to begin with.
    History:
    Before 1.4.1 - my GPS actually worked great! But then bad things started to happen - and none of my GPS apps would be able to get a lock. So I found the VZ Navigator trick; and that has helped; although its a pain to launch it each time before a GPS enabled app is called.

Outcome of installing Patch:
    - First reset; Google Maps put me 2 miles away (I have GPS only - after 90 seconds of waiting - I am outside in the dark waiting like a fool testing.

Restarted (luna)

- This time Google Maps can't locate me at all

Restarted (full reboot)

- Google Maps couldn't find me at all (90 seconds)

I launched VZ Navigator; Google Maps gets me within about 80 ft; all other apps work fine; I did find; that I can now close VZ Navigator - and the GPS apps continue to work- also the ##GPS# thing - that has NEVER worked for me; but it does work now (if I launch VZ Navigator first)

It'll be interesting to test tomorrow; I take a 2 mile walk per day; and will see how it does.

Thank you so much for putting the time and effort into the patch. See image attachments for some of the results.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reidoreilly View Post
    do you have google services OFF? If not, turn off all location services, reboot, and then only turn on GPS.

Just tried those instructions reidoreilly, Turn GPS/locations services Off, Reboot, Go outside, Turn on GPS (via Menu MegaMix), ##GPS# Position unavailable.

Tried ##GPS# again, start VZNavigator in new card, instant location.
    Installed the patch, had google services turned off, yet my pre still got the cell tower type lock (about 1/2 mile off). This is different than before (didn't get anything with gServices off). After a reboot, I get no lock at all in google maps with gServices off. Still messing around but that's where I'm at. Seems like it may be a really good start to a community fix.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Sorry, feeling dumb, how do you turn Google Services off?
    Palm III > Palm IIIx > Palm Zire 71 > Palm Treo 700P > Palm Pre Plus (and loving the heck out of it!!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhfloyd View Post
    Sorry, feeling dumb, how do you turn Google Services off?
    Go to location services, then click the top "preferences", Locate me using, uncheck use google services.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Not sure what to tell you then. If you installed it properly, it *SHOULD* work. My next guess would be that your in a spot where your GPS signal is blocked or reflected, either of which can cause your location to be off.

You could try the QPST tweak I posted which can help with that particular problem, but may not solve it completely.
    i used the qpst solution a couple of months ago and i feel that this is a true answer to the problems that verizon users are expieriencing -- my verizon GPS is very solid -- do you think that this patch would add any improvement to my fairly good GPS or will it conflict with the changes from the QPST work i did?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    Is this supposed to restart during the WOSQI installation process?
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    This isn't working for me at all. Is there some kind of data log that I can provide for troubleshooting?

BTW...thank you very much for working on this, especially since you aren't even a Verizon user. Much appreciated.
    Installing right now will report back with findings. Really excited hope this works. thnx so much ebag for work to help the community
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Works perfectly now. I had constant issues with it locking on. on all 4 devices I have had since vzw launch day 1/25. Applied patch, it rebooted on its own, no battery pull, just came back up, i have 1.4.1.1 with 720patch.

installed of course with WOSQI. ##gps# worked within 20 seconds. gpsdashboard worked spot on. got my address.

google maps worked (without google services, just gps is on).

ypmobile works awesome.

"Where" app found me instantly.

I'm sitting in a room in my house not right next to a window, and it has me pinpointed within 3 meters at most.

Go To Lite has me pinned within 8.47 feet.

Safe to say this patch has worked perfectly well for me.

I rely on GPS all the time so for people like I am, this patch is awesome. thank you.
    I dont need to take a pic of the ##gps# screen because it never locks. This patch does nothing for my phone.

Before patch: Google was off by about 2 miles and with vznav it worked great.
    After Patch: Google is off by about 2 miles and with vznav it works great.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    just had my first chance to test the patch. it doesn't help me much inside but it seems to work well outside. sprint gps would pinpoint me within 3 meters inside or out. this is an improvement but i think there might be a little more tweaking to do to perfect it.
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast