Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    FWIW, I got a fix on the first try after a reboot trying the ##GPS# tool. Before this patch, I never got a fix on the first or second try before the process timed out.

Navit got a fix within 15 seconds (after the ##GPS# test above), but seems to be slightly less accurate than it was before. It usually bounces between 4-10 meters of accuracy, and is now bouncing between 25-30 meters. It may just be the satellite constellation not being favorable where I'm at right now, or perhaps the big solar flare bursts this weekend is mucking up the reception.

I don't want to call the problem fixed just yet, but will say that it is working more reliably than it did before the patch in my limited testing so far.

For the record - GPS on, Google off, not asking for permission to use location services.....
    Patch worked for me, but I also have the standalone mods done as well.

Something I have noticed is that I have a lot of difficulty getting any GPS lock with wifi enabled. That shouldn't be an issue from an RF standpoint as they are almost a GigaHertz apart. Could be something weird with aGPS trying to use wifi, but I'm no expert on phone software.
    1.4.1.1 works great <30ft off
    Have to try this outside...hasn't work inside, even after installing it (and uninstalling it) 4 times. That said, I'm a complete n00b to QI.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    The news of the patch is encouraging - its what I love about this OS and the community that is passionate about it. Palm wants us to develop patches, and danggummit, we will (or at least those who are skilled enough to).

Since I am a Preware guy, how long should I typically wait before it shows up in the patch catalog?
    Palm III > Palm IIIx > Palm Zire 71 > Palm Treo 700P > Palm Pre Plus (and loving the heck out of it!!!)
    Worked for me only about 50ft off better then 3 miles or so
    If you want to participate in this thread, name calling is NOT permitted on the forums. It's a trouble shooting thing right now... let's cut the kiddie stuff out.
    SUCCESS! I opened GPSDashboardFree, Where's My Car?, and the GPS Fix utility. Got a fix within 40ft on all of them--sitting in my house!

Most importantly, I didn't have to open VZN to do it
    I tried it, rebooted, no good, location about a mile off. Rebooted again, tried with services off, no good. Turned services back on, all is well now even without VZ Nav card running. I closed google, waited, opened, again good to go. I had to do it again two more times to make sure and yes, I am operational. Thanks.
    I turned mine off and pulled the battery. It worked after restarting with a wait of 30sec or so.

Have to try a test with just GPSDashboard.

EDIT: GPSD, when working alone, took about 2min to find a fix (Google Services off), though the error level was 92m and decreasing. Where's My Car got me within 226 ft. I should also add that I'm still sitting inside next to windows with the blinds shut.
    Last edited by BryanEW710; 05/09/2010 at 08:21 PM.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    If you want to participate in this thread, name calling is NOT permitted on the forums. It's a trouble shooting thing right now... let's cut the kiddie stuff out.
    @Darth Pooh, if that was aimed at me, I sincerely apologize. It was not my intent to call names, nor be childish, just to point out that the comment which I referenced was not helpful to the conversation and that, in itself, it was an insult to the work you and Ebag333 had already put into it, and the work that the community was working toward to get this fledgling patch working. I now realize the irony that my comment also detracted from the conversation.

@BryanEW710 Good point, i hadn't thought of completly shutting the device down and pulling the battery. Trying that now
    Ebag333,

I got my Pre Plus back in early April and for the first couple of weeks I could get a detailed lock and follow with Google Maps in just a few seconds without doing anything special. I've always wondered why it's been so difficult or non-existant since. I've been following this topic closely and did some testing of my own. I have never subscribed to VZNav and never will. This patch seems to have fixed it.

My settings for both tests:
    Locate Me Using....
    GPS (checked)
    Google Services (checked)

Location Services
    Auto Locate (on)
    Geotag Photos (on)
    Background Data Collection (aww hell no)

Before:
    Friday 5/7. I was messing with the VZNav "Opt-In page" methodtrickworkaroundmaneuver using the Trackspace Beta. When you press the tracking button (Play button on the left) in Trackspace it shows a GPS data header at the top. RED is low-rez lock (Tower) and WHITE is high-rez lock (Detailed). You can also tap the header and it will show you "GPS Accuracy [m]". I could press the play button and it would hang around >900m (RED) until I launched VZNav and in just about 10 seconds or so it would drop down to <20m (WHITE) and be pointing right at my *****. This would last only about a minute and I would be forced to relaunch VZNav to get another detailed fix. I could also recreate this with complete consistency with Google Maps, Send My Location for WebOS and ##GPS#. Frustration would slowly build up inside me.

Now:
    Applied the pach today. For good measure I shut down, waited for 30 seconds then started. It's fixed. Just like that. I'm on Verizon and I'm not unhappy about it because I have sweet coverage, a Pre Plus and I'm Rockin' with Dokken. Hell yes.

Comments:
    As much as I dislike The Man and his silly monkey ways, I think that it's possible it actually was just an oversight on Verizon's part. It does make the device look bad. They (Palm/Verizon) should officially fix it or forever face the wrath of our blatant criticism and seething sarchasm..... uh forever.

Thank you for this patch as well as your tenacity.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i'm having trouble applying the patch. i load it in webos quickinstall but my pre reboots when i try to install. any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    i'm having trouble applying the patch. i load it in webos quickinstall but my pre reboots when i try to install. any suggestions?
    Isn't it supposed to? Mine did the same.
    i'd like to try this patch, but honestly, i dont have GPS problems...or i should say consistent problems. there are days where i have to do the vz nav trick or simply turn GPS off then back on again, but more times than not my GPS works fine and is extremely accurate. i drive for a living and dont need GPS or navigation, but i'll turn it on and let it run just to test it (or play with it ). Gmaps locks me in dead on inside my house i'd say 95% of the time.

however, for whatever reason i dont have GPS issues, vzw DOES have a reputation of locking out the aGPS to 3rd party apps. this is a well-known thing about that red diseased V. its a joke. i will never pay for vz nav or any other navigation app. its ridiculous in, my opinion, to pay for having an app literally tell you where to turn instead of using a supplied app to map out a trip. the last thing i need is yet another person telling me how to drive...LMAO!!

anyhoo...if this patch is helping others with GPS issues, then great work guys!!
    "I can't believe how cool this phone is..." (every iPhone user that has seen it )
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
    Isn't it supposed to? Mine did the same.
    maybe you are right. i was expecting it to prompt me for a java or luna restart.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    I had the same issue. After the reboot I checked device management in WOSQI and it indicated the patch is installed (called "Enable Verizon aGPS Server"). I had to cycle the location service feature once, but since then the patch seems to be working great.
    GPS acquisition even works from inside the house! So stoked! Thanks, Ebag333! You're a great homebrewer!
    Ok I installed, pulled battery and restarted, and then turned on google maps and it worked for 15 seconds. Then it went back to being 2 miles off.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cr_8_tiv View Post
    I keep getting this error when trying to install the patch through WOSQI.

"ERROR5:

Command:Put file///var/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.patches.Verizon GPS/Verizon GPS.patch

Reply:File open failed"

could it be conflicting with one of my other patches?
    i keep getting this too. my pre resets before offering me a luna restart. i am not getting a gps fix any better than before.
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast