Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by dawizel1 View Post
    Installed the patch using quick install and Smartrunner picked up my GPS signal within 10 seconds instead of the usual 10 minutes. Also ymobile finds me. Before the patch i had to open VZnav to get an instant lock but not now. But now google maps does not work. I get the google maps requires an internet connection box. I have turned GPS off then on and have done a full power down and restart.
    This patch would have zero effect on Google Maps thinking an internet connection was not present. My guess is your data was disabled (off, unavailable, etc).
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Can you please provide this?
    GPS is on, location services on, patch installed, Luna restart, and hard reset. This is the message I got: (see attached)
    Attached Images Attached Images
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeRad View Post
    GPS is on, location services on, patch installed, Luna restart, and hard reset. This is the message I got: (see attached)
    Someone suggested turning off Google Services.

Short of that, I got nothing. Not having a Verizon device makes it impossible for me to effectively troubleshoot.

Short of that, I got nothing. Not having a Verizon device makes it impossible for me to effectively troubleshoot.
    I'm happy to assist, Ebag333. By the way, any recommendations re: turning on or off the other GPS features via QPST in connection with this patch? {J}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts

Both Jonaton Ezor (PALMPRELAWYER) and I (Twitter @nergal2) can help you T/S just tell us what you need us to do

EDIT: LOL J.E. posted at same time as me
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    I'm happy to assist, Ebag333.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiDoJo View Post
    Both Jonaton Ezor (PALMPRELAWYER) and I (Twitter @nergal2) can help you T/S just tell us what you need us to do

EDIT: LOL J.E. posted at same time as me
    Well, the best you could do would be to figure out how the Pre's are broken, then fix it!

Not sure what's happening to cause it. Some setting set that's funky? Particular patch installed? 2G vs 3G network? Who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    By the way, any recommendations re: turning on or off the other GPS features via QPST in connection with this patch? {J}
    I would have them all enabled. It'll only improve the GPS performance.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    EGAG333

Thanks for your quick reply. Do you mean my 3g data? I have no way of turning that off and I live in the San Gabriel valley for my verizon reception should be very good. So I did another Luna Restart and now I get the full Google map view (it default screen) and it says Your Current Location is unavailable. Then goes to a full white screen. The ymobile app locates me but does not display the grid map. Smartrunner works. The did the ##GPS# and fix me and it located me within 40 seconds. I then opened VZnap again to get a lock and everything works ok. So I just closed VZnap and opened google maps and this time it located me after 30 seconds. So did ymobile. I hope all will stay well.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    I would have them all enabled. It'll only improve the GPS performance.
    Strangly (and maybe as a hint?)
    Everything was checked off when I loaded QPST all I had to do was input the IP Address, Port etc
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    My Facebook app stopped working (giving a communication error) after doing this fix. Coincidence?

Anyone else getting the same issue?
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    BTW...Left the house a little while ago; GPS location lock was <1 mile off. =(
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cgibin View Post
    My Facebook app stopped working (giving a communication error) after doing this fix. Coincidence?

Anyone else getting the same issue?
    IMHO Coincidence Facebook doesn't touch the GPS API
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Can confirm that this works for me. Running Verizon 1.4.1.1 with uberkernel at 800 mhz, and a number of other patches. No previous attempt to modify GPS. In the past, I could get a GPS lock if I waited long enough outdoors with a cold start using ##GPS# or Google Maps with Google Services turned off. Using the Verizon Navigator trick and just carding the app gave me a lock in about 10-15 seconds, even indoors where I live, so that tells me that aGPS is very effective, and the GPS capabilities of the device certainly do work. Now I installed your patch with webos Quickinstall, rebooted, and it works. I get a lock with Google Maps, YPMobile, GPS dashboard. So, this works for me. Thanks! Not sure why a previous poster thought this would not be possible. I do not believe that Verizon locked this out on purpose. They have it available in other devices. This kind of modification would not likely come out in the update. In any event, it is working now for me.
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by dndrich View Post
    I do not believe that Verizon locked this out on purpose.
    Come on, people. I know you love your Big Red, but it's starting to make me think of those cheesy Lifetime movies my wife watches.

"Really, V loves me! I just make V mad sometimes. V doesn't mean to hurt me! It's all my fault, mine!"

Palm doesn't take a fully working device and break aGPS by adding two undocumented parameters...that aren't used anywhere except by Verizon's Navigation app.

And then (look at Dieter's post) we get Palm going "Umm, yeah....some providers (but not naming names!) can lock down their aGPS servers...oh by the way here's the API call to use." A nod is as good as a wink to a blind bat, eh?

Not picking on you specifically dndrich, but Verizon did this knowing what they were doing. It's real simple, they wanted more money, specifically the extra money they'd get by people signing up for their nav app.

Now they probably didn't think they'd break GPS for other apps this bad, but I doubt they lost any sleep over it.
    I keep getting this error when trying to install the patch through WOSQI.

"ERROR5:

Command:Put file///var/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.patches.Verizon GPS/Verizon GPS.patch

Reply:File open failed"

could it be conflicting with one of my other patches?
    Google maps worked, minimap worked, as well as a few others but the ##GPS# and smartrunner did not work. Neither coul get a signal.
    patch did NOT work for my GPS problems. still puts me off by quite a way. Have tried restarting as well as turning on/off google services still the same. Oh well.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Come on, people. I know you love your Big Red, but it's starting to make me think of those cheesy Lifetime movies my wife watches.

"Really, V loves me! I just make V mad sometimes. V doesn't mean to hurt me! It's all my fault, mine!"

Palm doesn't take a fully working device and break aGPS by adding two undocumented parameters...that aren't used anywhere except by Verizon's Navigation app.

And then (look at Dieter's post) we get Palm going "Umm, yeah....some providers (but not naming names!) can lock down their aGPS servers...oh by the way here's the API call to use." A nod is as good as a wink to a blind bat, eh?

Not picking on you specifically dndrich, but Verizon did this knowing what they were doing. It's real simple, they wanted more money, specifically the extra money they'd get by people signing up for their nav app.

Now they probably didn't think they'd break GPS for other apps this bad, but I doubt they lost any sleep over it.
    Well, regardless, thanks for the work on your patch. It is amazing what smart people in the homebrew community can do! I'm not married to Verizon...but I have been a Palm fan forever. So, when I had the opportunity to get a Pre and still be able to run Datebk6 through Classic, I was sold. But that is another topic...

Thanks for your help! GPS appears to work well now.
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    Patch doesn't work for me either. same results in Google maps and foursquare. when i install it using quick install it reboots my palm. I'm guessing that's normal. When I do a ##477# it does not get a fix either
    That is really great news modular.
    Retested this patch after a few hours of my first try. Before i could never get a lock even with the vz navigator trick.

now, with the patch the vz navigator trick does work. so I am finally gettin my exact lock. but not without opening vznav first. I have my location services set to use GPS only.
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast