Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920
    This patch significantly improved acuracy for my Pre, but while using GPS apps (even VZ Navigator), my Pre would frequently stop tracking for long periods of time. I recently added the app GPS Fix which seems to have mostly solved the problem for me, though I still had an episode yesterday of driving and losing a good fix for >20 minutes even though my phone was under the front windshield in wide open spaces (no large buildings or trees around).

Still this tweak and GPS Fix together seem to work very well for me.
    Interesting...I wouldn't think if pairing this with GPS Fix...
    best fix for pre+ on vzw: get a standalone GPS. I've tried everything, but it's so inconsistent. There are some grate apps out for GPS (bfg, mapping tool, trapster, navit, minimap) that I really enjoy playing with but fighting with this gps got to be too much of a hassle. I don't understand why I could have gotten an android phone and not had the gps apps on lock-down frm vzw....
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    I have 1.4-15 installed on my Verizon pre +. It won't let me upgrade or remove from my device, get ipkg error as follows:

begin
    Nothing Interesting.
    failed
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.google-maps-enable-verizon-agps-server-for-improved-gps.prerm 2>&1 Unreversed patch detected! Ignore -R? [n] Apply anyway? [n]
    1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/controllers/global-search-assistant.jsjsjs.$rej$
    Unreversed patch detected! Ignore -R? [n] Apply anyway? [n]
    2 out of 2 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.contacts/app/controllers/locationwatcher/notification-assistant.jsjsjs.$rej$
    1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/app/controllers/poundGPS-assistant.jsjsjs.$rej$
    begin
    Nothing Interesting.
    failed
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.google-maps-enable-verizon-agps-server-for-improved-gps.prerm 2>&1 Unreversed patch detected! Ignore -R? [n] Apply anyway? [n]
    1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/controllers/global-search-assistant.jsjsjs.$rej$
    2 out of 2 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.contacts/app/controllers/locationwatcher/notification-assistant.jsjsjs.$rej$
    1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/app/controllers/poundGPS-assistant.jsjsjs.$rej$
    oops, never mind... I'm another dumbarse that didn't read the other posts!
    As with others, I've also been trying to make my GPS work more consistently, if at all sometimes I am still not sure why VZ wants $9.95 a month to use the Navigator. I guess it is for the aGPS function.

I have two standalone GPS units but would be nice to have one integrated into my phone. What I do know is that standalone GPS seem to struggle acquiring signal/satellites in cities with tall skyscrapers such as downtown Chicago. If I turn my Garmin Nuvi on in downtown Chicago to use it to find directions- it will take so long acquiring a satellite that it is often much faster to simply ask someone for direction! I can definitely see a huge advantage with aGPS in this type of environment. Other than that, my Garmin Nuvi and Zumo works effectively.

This is just my experience and I've read enough threads/posts to know that we all seem to be experiencing different and intermittent issues- what works for one doesn't work for others, etc.

At least for me after few days of messing around part time trying to make my built in Google Map work without doing the VZ Navigator dance and others things, Ebag333 patch seem to work for me. I did have one instance after doing a full restart where my Google Map could not get a fix of my position at all. I tried doing the VZ Navigator dance to see if this would help but in this instance, VZ Navigator encountered an error while booting up. I closed and restarted VZ Nav and then closed it manually and no further problems with Ebags patch and Google Map. Accuracy appears to be better as I can walk around my house and actually see the GPS fix move as I move. I did observe that my fix was sometime as far away as 50' to as close as 3'. Probably good enough for what I am going to use it for although definitely not good enough if trying to interface the current Pre GPS hardware/software to a car nav app down the road. Doubtful, if it will ever be accurate in a tight lane change scenario.

I tried Ebag's fix and it worked consistently for Google Map and YP Mobile. It did not work for NiceGPSSuperior1 that I was planning to use on my bike to track my position and email to my buddies. NiceGPSSuperior1 never could get a fix while Google Map and YP Mobile worked fine and consistently.

I also tried other app and patches such as the GPS Fix App, GPS Fix Patch and Verizon aGPS Blocker patch but none of these worked for me consistently. I always ended up doing the VZ Navigator app dance to get these to work.

I haven't had the nerve to perform Ebag's QPST mod as I don't want to do something wrong and brick my phone....

Jon
    Palm III -> Palm IIIc -> Palm M505 -> Palm Tungsten T5 -> Palm Treo 600 -> Palm Treo 650 -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Plus (All running InfoSelect)
    Came across this patch last night and installed it, hopeful that it would eliminate the need to open VZ Nav first and then Google Maps. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case for me. HOWEVER, even though I still have to open VZ Nav first, when I go to Google Maps, I get a nearly instant GPS lock. Much, much faster than before I installed the patch. Thanks Ebag333!
    <<Thread Merged>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920