Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920 LastLast
    Annoyingly, though, if I don't constantly keep the screen active, I lose lock
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
    For what it's worth, if I start up VZN, close it, then start it one more time, I will ALWAYS get a lock within a few seconds be it GPSDb or Google Maps. This is with the patch installed via Preware.
    Thanks for posting--I'll try this. Does it matter if you pause in between closing VZN and reopening it? Or between reopening VZN and starting Google Maps?

Also, I have Auto Locate turned on. I assume that either you don't have it turned on, or you say Yes every time it pops up in the above sequence?

Thanks!
    I've tried all three different patches. The original patch doesn't do anything at all I never get a fix even with vznav open. I've disabled all location settings leaving gps on and still no luck. I've done resets as well nothing. The gpspound patch would get a fix quickly only with the vz nav app open but it would not follow me at all. It would stay locked on my original location. Bottom line is that ebagg put in a good effort to try and fix the gps problem but it still doesn't work and in reality just wasted my time. Good try though but the patch is just as much false advertising as verizon statin that the pre plus is a gps enabled device.
    Quote Originally Posted by trblsome9six View Post
    I've tried all three different patches. The original patch doesn't do anything at all I never get a fix even with vznav open. I've disabled all location settings leaving gps on and still no luck. I've done resets as well nothing. The gpspound patch would get a fix quickly only with the vz nav app open but it would not follow me at all. It would stay locked on my original location. Bottom line is that ebagg put in a good effort to try and fix the gps problem but it still doesn't work and in reality just wasted my time. Good try though but the patch is just as much false advertising as verizon statin that the pre plus is a gps enabled device.
    I wouldn't say it was a waste or false advertising, he stated that it might not work and your mileage will vary. He also doesn't have a VZW phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zahid View Post
    Thanks for posting--I'll try this. Does it matter if you pause in between closing VZN and reopening it? Or between reopening VZN and starting Google Maps?
    No. As long as you open VZN (get to at least the Buy/Decline prompt), close it, and then open it up again, it should work every time. Sometimes, it's only necessary to open VZN once, but twice always works.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahid View Post
    Also, I have Auto Locate turned on. I assume that either you don't have it turned on, or you say Yes every time it pops up in the above sequence?
    I do have A/L turned on. Google Services is turned off (GPS Only in Location Services settings).
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nazz View Post
    At what point do the words Class Action come into play ?

Just wondering. Verizon sells it as a GPS enabled device. Then is looks like Verizon then does not allow full access to any 3rd party GPS apps.

Again, just wondering. I went to the store today, Where is my Car said it was 38,984 meters away, but I could see it
    Re: Lawsuit I'm sure if it came to the need for that Jonathon (PalmPreLawyer), who is an internet business lawyer, would be able to let us know the viablity of it.

re: 38984 Meters away. Turn of Google services in location services
    also pull the battery for 2-5 min and read through this thread there are many ways given for this issue.
    This is just excellent! Thanks for making this!
    If you have a Verizon phone go get it. NOW! SOOOO much nice than having to launch the stupid VZ every time.

Samsung Fascinate Rooted
    [QUOTE=trblsome9six;2474582]I've tried all three different patches. The original patch doesn't do anything at all I never get a fix even with vznav open. I've disabled all location settings leaving gps on and still no luck. I've done resets as well nothing. The gpspound patch would get a fix quickly only with the vz nav app open but it would not follow me at all. It would stay locked on my original location. Bottom line is that ebagg put in a good effort to try and fix the gps problem but it still doesn't work and in reality just wasted my time. Good try though but the patch is just as much false advertising as verizon statin that the pre plus is a gps enabled device.[/QUOTE]

you really are an absolute *** for saying that. if i need to explain why, well then... i don't really know what to tell you
    Verizon user here giving some feedback.

I installed the patch via WebOS Quick Intall. Phone rebooted automatically, but I shutdown and pulled battery after the reboot just to make sure.

Went outside and tried ##GPS# and got nothing. Just the error message.

I then tried Google Maps and it could not find my location.

I closed Google Maps, and opened VZN. Opened Google Maps again and got the fastest GPS lock of my life. All my coordinate/address apps found me just as fast. My Jog Stats was able to get a GPS signal again after not being able to for 2 weeks (for some unknown reason).

I will try Google Maps (without VZN) again later when I go to a new location. It's been my experience that Google Maps and the other apps will used cached location data if there is no GPS signal. So if I'm in the same location as my last reading, I can't tell if GPS is actually working, or if cached data is being displayed.

Thanks for your work Ebag!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that in My Location I only have GPS checked and I have Auto Locate ON
    Last edited by VLopez3; 05/26/2010 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Forgot to include data
    Why don't you stop wasting your time writing crap like this and write your own patch? Ebag took the time to try and solve a problem. You and I taking the time to test his work is not a wast of time.
    Three different patches?

I installed the first one when it was first made available through Preware, but have not been around much since. That patch has not been very helpful or consistently so, so I would like to try these other two versions but I don't see them in Preware. I'd search through these 18 pages of posts but I have a patient to see right now and don't have time.

So, are there multiple versions of this patch, and if so, where are they located?

TIA.
    If I try the QPST fix, would I need to uninstall the aGPS patch beforehand?
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VLopez3 View Post
    I'm running both and did the QPST after installing the patch, you should be fine (I make no guaranty though)
    Quote Originally Posted by VLopez3 View Post
    they do different things ( i think) i played with all of the patches but the QPST thing was the only thing that really effected the GPS - in a positive way -- i personally would delete the patch and do the QPST and then decide if you need the patch
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Thanks for making this patch; it's brought functionality back to my GPS, although it's still a little sketchy. I blame that on my signal though.

So thanks!
    Here is my experience with this patch... it does work, but still not as accurate as when I launch VZN then Google Maps. I can get a lock... but still a couple hundred yards off. If I launch VZN first I can lock on exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by sipple31 View Post
    Here is my experience with this patch... it does work, but still not as accurate as when I launch VZN then Google Maps. I can get a lock... but still a couple hundred yards off. If I launch VZN first I can lock on exactly.
    Because Google map is using your cache from VzNav....
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post
    Because Google map is using your cache from VzNav....
    I disagree, as I can quit VZnav now and Google Maps continues to function for hours on end (as opposed to the formerly 30 seconds after VZnav stopped tracking (read: switched from VZNav to another app)
    Quote Originally Posted by MiDoJo View Post
    I disagree, as I can quit VZnav now and Google Maps continues to function for hours on end (as opposed to the formerly 30 seconds after VZnav stopped tracking (read: switched from VZNav to another app)
    This is what is happening for me as well. VZNav to get it going but then I can kill it and still use other GPS apps without it dieing off.

Samsung Fascinate Rooted
    Here is something very interesting that I just observed. Maybe it might be useful to some of you guys who is trying to sort out this issue, re: Verizon Palm Pre.

First of all, I am using GPS Trip Panel because it gives me a GPS message center.

If I first start VZNav, and then I open GPS Trip Panel, first I get the message, "starting GPS", followed by "searching for satellites" and a %, following by GPS signal... from weak, progressing to medium, then to strong. All this takes about 30 seconds on the GPS trip panel before a firm lock in.

If I do not start VZNav, before I open GPS Trip Panel, I no longer get the message, "starting GPS". Instead, it skips right to "searching for satellites, where it will stall at 1% to 4% forever. Of course, there is no GPS fix.

Seems to be that without prestarting VZNav, the GPS Trip Panel thinks the GPS has already started when in reality the GPS has not.