Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920 LastLast
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Blacklisted?

Hmm, that's one I didn't expect. I'm not sure what Palm means when they return a condition code 8 (blacklisted). The fact that it actually failed means it couldn't access the GPS service at all. I've seen it succeed--which means the call worked--but still return an error code.
    Since the action that triggered this was me denying access to location services when prompted whether to allow it or not, I would expect webOS to return an error about being blocked by the user. I should have been more clear in saying that this was my test to see if the patch was working after the second install, so that others could also verify that their patch was functioning by simply disabling location services and denying poundGPS access to location services when prompted.

I'll be sure to report back as soon as the GPS goes to sleep and won't wake up again.....
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    And that's what I'd expect to see if the GPS is "asleep." What's interesting, however, is that the check to see if the GPS is turned on or not works, and says it's on. So the GPS service is on....but not responding....very odd.
    It was right after a warm reboot, I'm indoors (where I do get a GPS signal), and it is drizzling/overcast outside. This could very well be a case of the GPS being awake, but not having established an initial fix yet.

My observations are that when the GPS doesn't have a fix, Navit displays an R: value of 0.000. When the GPS is "asleep" and the Pre is using only cell towers for position data, Navit gives an R: value of 1000.0. Since Navit was indicating an R: value of 0.000 when the "GPS Call Failed: Timeout (1)" error was observed, I think that we can say that this is being caused by an awake GPS that does not have a location fix at the present time.

One thing that I should probably mention is that I did the QPST config changes on Monday, in case they are skewing the test results.....
  3.    #323  
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Since the action that triggered this was me denying access to location services when prompted whether to allow it or not, I would expect webOS to return an error about being blocked by the user. I should have been more clear in saying that this was my test to see if the patch was working after the second install, so that others could also verify that their patch was functioning by simply disabling location services and denying poundGPS access to location services when prompted.
    If it's just the location services disabled, according to what I've read from Palm's doc's you should get a GPS Call Failed: Location Service Off. (5) or GPS Call Failed: Permission Denied. (6). Or Call succeeded, with either of those two error codes.

There's something else that triggers the blacklist (8). Not sure what. I'm guessing it had more to do with your phone/services cycling repeatedly, rather than turning the location services on/off.

Of course all this is based on Palm's docs, which don't really go into detail as to what is what and what causes what.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    don't allow" when Location Services asked for permission to use the GPS.
    that's why it was blacklisted you told it "NO, I don't want this app to access the GPS"
    sorry to tell you, but that's user error
    I'd really like this patch to work, but it just doesn't for me.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyHDTV View Post
    I'd really like this patch to work, but it just doesn't for me.

I have that happen sometimes. I just close it out and then open up VZNav and then go back to Google Maps and it works. It might take a few seconds but it works.
    Works for me. Much more accurate and GPS is actually enabled!
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post

My second discovery is that we neglected to consider the role of Networks In Motion (creators of VZW Navigator) in this puzzle. Opening their app seems to wake up the GPS and give it an instant fix for many of us. Could they be running their own aGPS server for Verizon? Could it be at 209.67.191.11 port 8128? Could *they* be the ones blocking the third-party apps from getting a fix, and neither Verizon nor Palm know about it? They certainly have financial motive!
    I mentioned Networks in Motion a few pages back but I guess people missed it. They have a new name, BTW. They list on their site that they are a technology partner with Qualcomm so my guess is they have info that other devs do not have on how the Qualcomm GPS chip works. I would in no way be surprised if they are not the culprit here. Even to the $9.99 minimum pricing for the app. Guessing here but, it may be in the license agreement with VZW.

I think Ebag333's exposure of the issue is what is causing VZW to work on a patch. Speaking of which:
    Here is what I got from VZWsupport on Twitter when I asked them when the patch will be out: "We do understand the inconvience but as of now we dont have a date for the fix. When it is available we will post it. *NK"

Keep the pressure on folks!
    Yeah I asked the same thing. I hope they fix this soon.
  10. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Just spoke to a rep from "The Office of the President" at Verizon. Gave her a polite earful and directed her towards this website for a better understanding of the issue. She took lots of notes and said she'd pass it on to management. Not sure if it will help, but it sure won't hurt.
    Just to throw another data point into the thread, I applied the patch last night. I had to reboot my phone a few times (second time with a battery pull), but it seems to be working for me. Had google maps up on my drive to work and it seemed to be tracking within a few feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcherryholmesd View Post
    Just to throw another data point into the thread, I applied the patch last night. I had to reboot my phone a few times (second time with a battery pull), but it seems to be working for me. Had google maps up on my drive to work and it seemed to be tracking within a few feet.
    Another data point. I applied the patch yesterday as well, + reboot w/ battery pull. The patch is definitely doing something positive, but VZnav is still required for GPS function.

Before the patch, Google maps needed 30 - 45 sec to lock position after turn on VZnav. Accuracy was acceptable but not great, usually with 10-20 meters.

After the patch, Google maps needs only 10 secs or so for lock (if I pre-activated VZnav). The lock seems to be more accurate as well, typically placing me within 5 meters of my actual. I don't know how the patch would improve GPS accuracy, but it certainly seems to in my Pre Plus.
    For those who are still having issues and are still interested in trying new things...

Here's a new version of the ##GPS# debug window. It catches a lot more errors, and (perhaps more importantly?) attempts to start the GPS service if it's stopped.

If the GPS service is not running, it will inform you of this and attempt to start it. If it is running, it'll just continue on it's merry way.

I'll be curious to see if this fixes the issue of the GPS falling "asleep" and not waking up. If it doesn't, the next step would be to cycle the GPS (off and back on) to see if that wakes it up.

This patch is incompatible with any of the previous patches, so be sure any of the GPS patches are uninstalled before testing this.

This only affects the poundGPS screen. So Google Maps, Verizon Nav, and other 3rd party apps will be back to their default behavior.
    Okay. The first patch didn't help my phone and my gps does seem to be sleepy so I'll give the second patch at try and report back. The problem is that I'm not 100% sure what to do with it. I assume I use WebOS Quick Install and drop it on my phone? (I'm using Ubuntu, so if someone wants to tell me how to do it at from a terminal that would be great.) Also, is there anything else I should know or be aware (or beware!) of?

Thanks.
    Finally bit the bullet and installed Preware. Uninstalled the VZW patch (which didn't seem to be working quite right...made GPS Fix downright unusable. I'm certain that WOSQI didn't completely install it the first time) and then reinstalled it via Preware. Noticing <30sec-1min locks in GMaps and GPS Dashboard once VZN is opened. Until Verizon does something official, this is quite sufficient.
    I think I have the second patch in place. Did ##477# and got this (which is in the script):
    GPS Call Failed: Timeout. (1)
    I'll go outside and test again. Then open VZ Nav and see what happens.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I have applied the patch (via Preware) and deleted/reapplied the patch. Google Maps on my Pre will just not get a solid GPS fix until I bring up VZ Nav - and then the fix is very quick.
    Ive been having an issue where its 30 or so yards off. Or itll skip around my town. Does the same on my gfs but yesterday it was spot on for a few times. Anything besides the patch that i need to do?
    At what point do the words Class Action come into play ?

Just wondering. Verizon sells it as a GPS enabled device. Then is looks like Verizon then does not allow full access to any 3rd party GPS apps.

Again, just wondering. I went to the store today, Where is my Car said it was 38,984 meters away, but I could see it
    For what it's worth, if I start up VZN, close it, then start it one more time, I will ALWAYS get a lock within a few seconds be it GPSDb or Google Maps. This is with the patch installed via Preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
    For what it's worth, if I start up VZN, close it, then start it one more time, I will ALWAYS get a lock within a few seconds be it GPSDb or Google Maps. This is with the patch installed via Preware.
    That's what I do.