Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920 LastLast
  1.    #301  
    For those who are still having issues and are still interested in trying new things...

Here's a new version of the ##GPS# debug window. It catches a lot more errors, and (perhaps more importantly?) attempts to start the GPS service if it's stopped.

If the GPS service is not running, it will inform you of this and attempt to start it. If it is running, it'll just continue on it's merry way.

I'll be curious to see if this fixes the issue of the GPS falling "asleep" and not waking up. If it doesn't, the next step would be to cycle the GPS (off and back on) to see if that wakes it up.

This patch is incompatible with any of the previous patches, so be sure any of the GPS patches are uninstalled before testing this.

This only affects the poundGPS screen. So Google Maps, Verizon Nav, and other 3rd party apps will be back to their default behavior.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    you know - i haven't seen anything official from VZW or palm stating that they acknowledge the problem and are working on a fix --- only Deiter quoting a random post from a member who supposedly recieved a twitter reply from a supposed verizon employee -- sorry to be a pessimist but you go ahead and wait for verizon to come out with a solution if you want -- verizon is not always the fastest mover on the block -- case and point 1.4.1 -- and that is when there is an official , palm and vzw acknowledged in print update to release -- i can find nowhere that vzw officially acknowledges this problem nor that a solution is forthcoming -- IMHO
    Yes, you're right, on re-reading that post from Deiter I see he read a lot more into it than was warranted.

That said, I think I'm content with GPS as-is for now. No, it doesn't work right, but the un-patched behavior is the devil I know how to deal with. With the patch it seems to work far less often.

I'll be content to wait a few weeks to see if this all gets better understood.

My thanks to EBag333 for the continuing effort and everyone else trying to help in this thread.
    well ................ i guess i would wait untill i have the phone in hand and test the GPS to make any decisions about patches. Also i haven't really heard that this is an issue in the pixi plus (anyone?.. please post now) and now that i think about it unless some people contradict me then i would guess that if you get your phone tomorrow (today) and the GPS works well then maybe just maybe this would be a clue in the VZW conspiracy theory as --if the pixi GPS works fine and the pre's is hampered maybe this would mean that it is a software / hardware issue. please let me know

thanks
    I'll get back to this thread as soon as I test it. I've used google maps on my ipod and it gets like feet from my house by internet, so i'm hoping the phones accurate also.
    Seems Verizon is trying to save face. First allowing the mobile hotspot to try and make us happy and now this:

FREE VZ Nav for 30 days

It's actually a bit insulting when you can call up a Verizon tech and still get someone who has apparently no idea this is going on....

Needless to say, I am activating this so I can finally use GPS. I'll update once I've tested it for a couple days, but I don't plan on ever using VZ Nav, just having it "unlocked" and trying out my other programs.

Verizon, your still bending us over and this isn't Vaseline...
    Yeah just saw that on Twitter.
    Quote Originally Posted by RetarTed View Post
    Seems Verizon is trying to save face. First allowing the mobile hotspot to try and make us happy and now this:

FREE VZ Nav for 30 days

It's actually a bit insulting when you can call up a Verizon tech and still get someone who has apparently no idea this is going on....

Needless to say, I am activating this so I can finally use GPS. I'll update once I've tested it for a couple days, but I don't plan on ever using VZ Nav, just having it "unlocked" and trying out my other programs.

uhh it looks like they are offering vznav to all phone users not just users of the palm pre plus -- so how exactly is it that they are trying to appease palm owners? -- more likely they figure that you will activate and then start paying 10 bucks a month and not cancel -- IMHO
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    uhh it looks like they are offering vznav to all phone users not just users of the palm pre plus -- so how exactly is it that they are trying to appease palm owners? -- more likely they figure that you will activate and then start paying 10 bucks a month and not cancel -- IMHO
    That's exactly what I'm thinking. Really, "nothing to see here" (no sarcasm intended).
    It's VZ Nav not mobile hotspot.

You could already get a 30 day free trial, they just seem to be promoting it now.
    I'm trying to take the word to Verizon Wireless, and I'd recommend all of you do too, via this page through which you can contact your region's president. Let's be heard. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Thanks for the patch. So far, the patch doesn't seem to have an effect on my VZ Pre Plus with location services on. I'm going to test for a few days with them turned off and report back. Either way, I really do appreciate the time and effort you're putting into this. We need to pitch in and get you a VZ Pre!
  11.    #311  
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiomoto View Post
    Thanks for the patch. So far, the patch doesn't seem to have an effect on my VZ Pre Plus with location services on. I'm going to test for a few days with them turned off and report back. Either way, I really do appreciate the time and effort you're putting into this. We need to pitch in and get you a VZ Pre!
    Which patch?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    For those who are still having issues and are still interested in trying new things...

Here's a new version of the ##GPS# debug window. It catches a lot more errors, and (perhaps more importantly?) attempts to start the GPS service if it's stopped.

If the GPS service is not running, it will inform you of this and attempt to start it. If it is running, it'll just continue on it's merry way.

I'll be curious to see if this fixes the issue of the GPS falling "asleep" and not waking up. If it doesn't, the next step would be to cycle the GPS (off and back on) to see if that wakes it up.

This patch is incompatible with any of the previous patches, so be sure any of the GPS patches are uninstalled before testing this.

This only affects the poundGPS screen. So Google Maps, Verizon Nav, and other 3rd party apps will be back to their default behavior.
    hm, i think i may be doing something wrong. i installed this patch via WOSQI, but when i do ##gps#i seem to be getting the same 'get fix' screen i used to get. according to preware and WOSQI the patch is installed. is there something else i need to do? thanks for all your work, btw

Okay, I missed this one. I'll give the original a couple of more days, but it does fall asleep. Is this patch in Preware?
    Quote Originally Posted by RetarTed View Post

FREE VZ Nav for 30 days

I promise you that location services will still not work until you start VZNav. The problem isn't that they want you to subscribe to VZ Nav to make location services work, the problem is that they have locked down their aGPS servers, and they didn't bother (or didn't want to) allow other apps to access them properly.

In addition, there seems to be a service not starting that VZNav knows how to start. I had guessed at that as a possibility, and ebag seems to have found it and is working with it.

VZ and Palm ought to get this nailed down in time for the 1.4.5 release.

Regardless anyone's opinion about navigation (i.e. google maps) this phone is sold as being capable of "location-based services" like YPMobile and FourSquare, which it can't do now because the GPS doesn't respond properly until VZNav is opened, the chip starts working, and VZNav is closed.

I don't really have the time to do all the testing that ebag is looking for, but I applaud his efforts in trying to get this nailed down while VZ and Palm drag their toes.
  15.    #315  
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonie luv View Post
    hm, i think i may be doing something wrong. i installed this patch via WOSQI, but when i do ##gps#i seem to be getting the same 'get fix' screen i used to get. according to preware and WOSQI the patch is installed. is there something else i need to do? thanks for all your work, btw
    It may not have actually installed. It doesn't look any different, and if you get a GPS signal it basically seems the same.

Some differences you might notice....

1) If the horizontal accuracy is over 100 meters, it'll actually give you the info rather than giving a generic error.
    2) If the GPS fails for some reason, it'll tell you why instead of a generic error.
    3) If the GPS is turned off, it'll tell you.

To see if it's installed turn off GPS (I use Jason's menu patch that lets you toggle it) and see if you get a message about GPS being off. Or go inside where you have poor reception, and see if you still get a fix even though the accuracy is over 100m off (I've gotten GPS info with the horizontal accuracy being over 3km off).

If it's not installed, you can just install it a second (or third) time. Testing this patch (sans the Verizon aGPS info) I noticed many times I had to install it 2-3 times before it actually installed. I ended up simply editing it by hand in Vi as it was easier that way than reinstalling it multiple times.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiomoto View Post
    Okay, I missed this one. I'll give the original a couple of more days, but it does fall asleep. Is this patch in Preware?
    This one is not, no.
    Patch doesn't seem to work for me. Then I go to switch on Verizon navigator and what do you know, get a lock on..
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    To see if it's installed turn off GPS (I use Jason's menu patch that lets you toggle it) and see if you get a message about GPS being off.
    It didn't work on the first install, which is a shame because my GPS seemed to be in the frozen state that we are trying to diagnose when I found this out.

After the second install, it seems to have worked. I have location services turned off, and selected "don't allow" when Location Services asked for permission to use the GPS. The error that I got under this circumstance is "GPS Call Failed: Application Blacklisted. (8)".

When I turned Location Services back on, poundGPS gave me a fix almost instantly.

I don't know if this is a coincidence or what, but my phone has been cycling between phone offline, searching, and Verizon Wireless with the 3G icon vanishing...despite a 5-bar indicated signal strength. I have never seen the Verizon Pre Plus do this before, and am wondering if this patch has triggered "Sprint-itis" because it certainly is behaving like my Sprint Pre right now.....
  18.    #318  
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    After the second install, it seems to have worked. I have location services turned off, and selected "don't allow" when Location Services asked for permission to use the GPS. The error that I got under this circumstance is "GPS Call Failed: Application Blacklisted. (8)".
    Blacklisted?

Hmm, that's one I didn't expect. I'm not sure what Palm means when they return a condition code 8 (blacklisted). The fact that it actually failed means it couldn't access the GPS service at all. I've seen it succeed--which means the call worked--but still return an error code.

Can you try it out over the next couple days and see if it returns any other codes?

I don't know if this is a coincidence or what, but my phone has been cycling between phone offline, searching, and Verizon Wireless with the 3G icon vanishing...despite a 5-bar indicated signal strength.
    That's happened to me before. Reboot. It's something to do with WOSQI.

I have never seen the Verizon Pre Plus do this before, and am wondering if this patch has triggered "Sprint-itis" because it certainly is behaving like my Sprint Pre right now.....
    Hey now.....
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    After an Orange+SYM+R reboot, the Verizon searching problem seems to have gone away. Unfortunately, so has my GPS fix. PoundGPS has reported "GPS Call Failed: Timeout (1)" the last three times, and FWIW Navit is indicating an R: value (position accuracy) of 0.0000 meters. (Navit seems to give an R: value of 1000.0 when the GPS goes brain-dead and the phone is operating solely on cell tower positions, and 0.0000 when the GPS is alive but doesn't have a fix yet.)

It finally got a fix, after about 10 minutes. The fix it got was about 3 miles away from where I am, and poundGPS said that I was at an altitude of -800. Over the next 5 minutes, the location point slowly migrated to where I am, and poundGPS now thinks that I'm above ground again.

Time to put my phone into it's sleeping bag for a few hours, to see if the GPS will go back to sleep and Navit will show an R: value of 1000.0 so that I can see what error is returned under that condition.....
  20.    #320  
    PoundGPS has reported "GPS Call Failed: Timeout (1)" the last three times
    And that's what I'd expect to see if the GPS is "asleep." What's interesting, however, is that the check to see if the GPS is turned on or not works, and says it's on. So the GPS service is on....but not responding....very odd.