Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeekster View Post
    I can understand the fear associated with using the QPST tool - I was a "hacker" back when it meant a guy willing to pursue a problem no matter how many hours/days it took rather than today's interpretation of what once was a venerable title - (ah all of those days spent mastering CP/M) - and even with all those years of experience, have to admit to a certain "pucker factor" about 1AM as I went over, and over the procedure - double and triple checking I had everything "right" before actually writing the mods to my cell phone.

You will need to be patient and wait for the (now acknowledged) "fix". My problem is, the older I get the less time I have left to spend being "patient".
    OT, OldGeek did you get a chance to look at some of the other settings in QPST, I was to hurried at the time but may go back to look. . . and I thought bitpim was cool LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by MiDoJo View Post
    OT, OldGeek did you get a chance to look at some of the other settings in QPST, I was to hurried at the time but may go back to look. . . and I thought bitpim was cool LOL
    OT, actually I followed the op's advice and stuck with the procedure 100% - but yeah, that is one POWERFUL tool and I can most certainly understand his not wanting to lead anybody "astray". I haven't felt that level of pucker factor since opening up my little IC-T90A a few years back.

Bitpim dev seems to have slowed - but another GREAT tool!

This topic may now resume its real purpose - and gotta say THANK YOU one more time!!!
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    This problem is annoying me enough where I'm going to start digging deeper on my own.

My first discovery is that PDEIS801.myvzw.com resolves to at least two IP addresses: 66.174.94.132 and 66.174.95.132, in round-robin fashion.

My second discovery is that we neglected to consider the role of Networks In Motion (creators of VZW Navigator) in this puzzle. Opening their app seems to wake up the GPS and give it an instant fix for many of us. Could they be running their own aGPS server for Verizon? Could it be at 209.67.191.11 port 8128? Could *they* be the ones blocking the third-party apps from getting a fix, and neither Verizon nor Palm know about it? They certainly have financial motive!

My third discovery just stopped me from testing the above in the patch. I left Navit running on my phone while running tcpdump and starting up VZW Navigator, and it couldn't find a fix. Out of the blue, it just got a fix with 52m accuracy...only 100 miles away from where I am now. The reason why I stopped testing is because Navit now thinks that I'm at the hospital where my wife was born! My phone has never been within 50 miles of that town, and I don't have any Navit bookmarks or even webOS address book entries for that area. I'm not normally a superstitious person, but my wife is out at the store and the only thing that I can think of is that my phone is trying to tell me something by it's spooky choice of incorrect location.....
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    I'm not normally a superstitious person, but my wife is out at the store and the only thing that I can think of is that my phone is trying to tell me something by it's spooky choice of incorrect location.....
    Uh oh... Has she had any strange cravings lately?
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    My wife is safely home, and me thinks that I have solved the problem! I took the original patch, put in the NIM IP address/port in place of the VZW ones, shut down the phone, pulled the battery, and left it sit for 10 minutes. After I turned the phone back on, Navit had a GPS fix within 60 seconds...and I'm indoors! I didn't have to start VZW Navigator, and subsequent launches of Navit have given positions within 1-5 seconds.

My test device is:

- Verizon Pre Plus

- webOS 1.4.1.1, stock kernel, pretty boring software load outside of Debian/X package

- No QPST changes

- Original patch, modified to use NIM IP/port above

- Location services: Auto Locate = on, Geotag = on, GPS = on, Google Services = off

I'm not going to go out on a limb and call it fixed just yet, because others have claimed success at first only to crash and burn after further testing. I *am* going to claim that I have come up with a plausible explanation and financial motive for the GPS problem, and a possible workaround in response to that explanation.....
    How do you modify the server the patch works with?
  7. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    vreihen, I'm very intrigued by your theory. My guess is vzw knew about it, but they were profitting too, so did nothing.

How do you modify a patch? Does it open in notepad like a driver (inf) file?

Please keep us informed of your findings!
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
    How do you modify the server the patch works with?
    open the patch in notepad...find "pdeis" and "8880" replace xxx.myvzw.com with 209.67.191.11 and 8880 with 8128....save...uninstall old patch in webosqi...install new patch.

thanks vreihen....testing to begin at first light... full QPST mod, vzw pre+, uberk/gov screenstate 500-800. no luck with nulsul's agps patch version and qpst, still spotty gps, have to wake it up with multiple apps.
    My wife is safely home, and me thinks that I have solved the problem! I took the original patch, put in the NIM IP address/port in place of the VZW ones, shut down the phone, pulled the battery, and left it sit for 10 minutes. After I turned the phone back on, Navit had a GPS fix within 60 seconds...and I'm indoors! I didn't have to start VZW Navigator, and subsequent launches of Navit have given positions within 1-5 seconds.

My test device is:

- Verizon Pre Plus

- webOS 1.4.1.1, stock kernel, pretty boring software load outside of Debian/X package

- No QPST changes

- Location services: Auto Locate = on, Geotag = on, GPS = on, Google Services = off

I'm not going to go out on a limb and call it fixed just yet, because others have claimed success at first only to crash and burn after further testing. I *am* going to claim that I have come up with a plausible explanation and financial motive for the GPS problem, and a possible workaround in response to that explanation.....
    Don't be surprised if the problem returns after several hours. I found that, immediately after rebooting my Verizon Pre Plus/WebOS 1.4.1.1 I could get a fix with the patch. Then after several hours I was back to playing with VZNav to "wake it up" again. Running the patch WITH the QPST fix for the last 16 hours with no problems what-so-ever *and* I haven't touched VZNav (and won't).

Your mileage may vary.

My test device is:

- Verizon Pre Plus

- No QPST changes

i have been using the QPST changes for months and my GPS has been pretty much solid -- there is always room for improvement -- i installed ebag's pound verizon patch which made my GPS less reliable and the Verizon patch which showed no improvement over plain QPST. Nulsul's patch in post 223 of this thread seemed to add some accuracy to my GPS -- i modified the patch to the above numbers and the GPS showed me 3 doors down -- went back to nulsul's patch and it shows me back in bed at my house

i am going to leave well enough alone at this point -- QPST + nulsul's patch
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    ok, perhaps I spoke too soon. I just tested a third time after doing a full shutdown and restart (again, I also did so after first installing the patch). Now GPS is working again... I get an almost instant tower-location fix followed within a minute with a pretty accurate GPS fix. I don't know that it's any better than without the patch, as mine was always a bit random anyway. Time will tell I guess.
    GPS quit working altogether again, couldn't get a fix anywhere for a whole day. I gave up and removed the patch, then did a full shutdown/startup. GPS is now working fine. As verizon has acknowledged the issues and claim they're going to make improvements, I think I'll wait for a bit before revisiting this issue.
    I had to turn off Google Services to get mine to work. I still have to do the work around but now it's more accurate with the patch.

I might test without the patch, using the VZ way and see what happens, while leaving Google Services on.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    GPS quit working altogether again, couldn't get a fix anywhere for a whole day. I gave up and removed the patch, then did a full shutdown/startup. GPS is now working fine. As verizon has acknowledged the issues and claim they're going to make improvements, I think I'll wait for a bit before revisiting this issue.
    you know - i haven't seen anything official from VZW or palm stating that they acknowledge the problem and are working on a fix --- only Deiter quoting a random post from a member who supposedly recieved a twitter reply from a supposed verizon employee -- sorry to be a pessimist but you go ahead and wait for verizon to come out with a solution if you want -- verizon is not always the fastest mover on the block -- case and point 1.4.1 -- and that is when there is an official , palm and vzw acknowledged in print update to release -- i can find nowhere that vzw officially acknowledges this problem nor that a solution is forthcoming -- IMHO
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    I pulled the agps patch, I mod'd it with vreihenls info. I'm trying just the QPST hack and that's it....for now... Shheeesh!
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    you know - i haven't seen anything official from VZW or palm stating that they acknowledge the problem and are working on a fix --- only Deiter quoting a random post from a member who supposedly recieved a twitter reply from a supposed verizon employee -- sorry to be a pessimist but you go ahead and wait for verizon to come out with a solution if you want -- verizon is not always the fastest mover on the block -- case and point 1.4.1 -- and that is when there is an official , palm and vzw acknowledged in print update to release -- i can find nowhere that vzw officially acknowledges this problem nor that a solution is forthcoming -- IMHO
    ditto
    So what is the final verdict on this issue? My Palm Pixi plus is coming to me tomorrow, and i was all excited about the gps, until i came across this. Should i download this patch, wait for verizons sluggishness to fix the issue or just leave it be?i skipped from page 1 to page 15 hoping something substantial would have happen from page one, but i can't read 14 other pages lol. So what do you guys think, leave it or download it?
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiGS750EZ View Post
    So what is the final verdict on this issue? My Palm Pixi plus is coming to me tomorrow, and i was all excited about the gps, until i came across this. Should i download this patch, wait for verizons sluggishness to fix the issue or just leave it be?i skipped from page 1 to page 15 hoping something substantial would have happen from page one, but i can't read 14 other pages lol. So what do you guys think, leave it or download it?
    well ................ i guess i would wait untill i have the phone in hand and test the GPS to make any decisions about patches. Also i haven't really heard that this is an issue in the pixi plus (anyone?.. please post now) and now that i think about it unless some people contradict me then i would guess that if you get your phone tomorrow (today) and the GPS works well then maybe just maybe this would be a clue in the VZW conspiracy theory as --if the pixi GPS works fine and the pre's is hampered maybe this would mean that it is a software / hardware issue. please let me know

thanks
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    After several restarts, the patch enables me to use Verizon Navigator to jumpstart GPS (didn't work at all before) but it only gives me a one-time location fix. Doesn't update the GPS location as I move around. Because of this, I had to turn Location Services back on. I'm on Verizon 1.4.1, on a Pre Plus.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gregkoe View Post
    After several restarts, the patch enables me to use Verizon Navigator to jumpstart GPS (didn't work at all before) but it only gives me a one-time location fix. Doesn't update the GPS location as I move around. Because of this, I had to turn Location Services back on. I'm on Verizon 1.4.1, on a Pre Plus.
    Did you try all the suggested actions ESP. removing the battery for 2-5 min

also QPST seems to really help people with this patch
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    Actually, have a peek at VZWSupport on twitter. (You might have to go back a couple of days now). There is a fix in the works (according to VZWSupport) with an unknown release date. In the mean time the same employee recommends continuing to open VZNavigator, then decline the service to get things going. Unsatisfactory - I know, but this is a hint that the problems is known, being worked on, and eventually we will get a fix.

In the mean time - I haven't touched VZNavigator since last week - continuing to use a combination of the original patch in this thread and the QPST fix and my results are keeping me *very* happy indeed.