Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 388
  1. #261  
    Quote Originally Posted by tsaunders View Post
    Thanks! Just installed preware that took all but 5 minutes - :P
    5 minutes to install -- a lifetime to perfect
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

    Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

    My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
  2. #262  
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    5 minutes to install -- a lifetime to perfect
    LOL Yeah!

    Ok I installed the patch from preware. Foursquare is now having some issues with getting my location (I am inside). Google maps also seems to have a closer lock on me.

    I will try the ##477# when I am outside and report back (inside it is saying GPS Error Position Unavailable). Would be nice if VZW would just release a patch to fix it.

    We should all contact @VZWSupport on Twitter and complain that our GPS doesn't work correctly.

    VZW Support (VZWSupport) on Twitter
  3. #263  
    Long time reader, first time poster-
    Verizon Pre Plus, 800mhz Uberkernel

    GPS never worked well for me, even opening up VZ navigator prior to loading YPmobile or Google maps did not seem to help. Sometimes putting me miles away from my atcual location.

    Installed this patch, did not help.

    Left the patch installed, executed the QPST mods, and as of last night till now having GPS locks that are mostly accurate and with fairly quick lock times... and tracking with me.. working at my home in NJ and also at work in NYC currently.

    I wouldn't say it's perfect, but I think you guys are def. on the right track to figuring out how to completely fix what verizon can't seem to get right.

    Also want to say thanks to all you WebOS internals guys and homebrew community - you have turned a good phone into a great one.
  4. #264  
    I don't think it's that VZW can't get it right, it's that they block it on purpose so you pay for VZNav. I don't know why they care, are there any other navigation apps out there that we could use?
  5. #265  
    Quote Originally Posted by tsaunders View Post
    I don't think it's that VZW can't get it right, it's that they block it on purpose so you pay for VZNav. I don't know why they care, are there any other navigation apps out there that we could use?
    i am generally a fairly big pessimest so i can understand you saying the verizon blocked this -- i experienced them doing that with the motorola v710 bluetooth. ......but i really feel that Palm and / or verizon in an effort to save battery llife tweaked the GPS with 1.4 and have either not addressed it or have not been able to track down fix it. with the advent of 1.4 webos started killing headless aps that were open more then around 12 seconds -- there was't an motive for this other than to stop a problem that was leading to battery drain -- this unanounced change had some unforseen consquences for aps that run in the background -- 1.4.1.1 fixed this for the most part by extending the time out to 60 seconds or so-- i believe that the issue with the GPS is something simular - that there was a change to address an unrelated issue that has caused these problems -- verizons fault ? palms fault? doesn't matter -- i think my GPS works pretty well now -- at least as well as it did pre 1.4 and i hope that this gets resolved so that everyone's pre GPS works satisfactory -- i just do not feel that this issue is intentional

    personal opinion take it or leave it
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

    Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

    My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
  6. #266  
    Quote Originally Posted by tsaunders View Post
    I don't think it's that VZW can't get it right, it's that they block it on purpose so you pay for VZNav. I don't know why they care, are there any other navigation apps out there that we could use?

    search forums for "navit".... it's being used mostly outside the US *BUT* one of the guys vreihen is using navit in alabama, i'm in florida.

    if i get good results from ebaggs awesome, tremendous work thru QPST and the enable aGPS patch then i'm looking more into navit. so that i can hide vznav for good.
  7. #267  
    I was told this from VZWSupport on Twitter:

    Start yur GPS app, then go strt VZ Nav. If u dn't hav the service it will ask u 2 buy or decline. Choose Decline an it will exit
  8. #268  
    Quote Originally Posted by tsaunders View Post
    I was told this from VZWSupport on Twitter:
    ...ehh...funk dat
  9. #269  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    ...ehh...funk dat
    Oh I agree with you.

    I know some have said that seems to work. I forgot to try the GPS when I went to lunch - :\
  10. #270  
    I asked them if there is a fix for this and they responded with this:

    Yes there is, right now there is no ETA. The steps I gave you are a temp fix.
  11. vreihen's Avatar
    Posts
    495 Posts
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    #271  
    Quote Originally Posted by nulsul View Post
    I recently did the QPST and since have am MUCH happier with the way my phone responds (STILL have to use VZNav to get a quick wake/agps lock, not sure which it is doing). One thing of note, I tried both

    PDE IP Address: 216.198.139.92
    PDE Port Number: 8889
    FWIW, this IP address is owned by TELUS Mobility, not Verizon.....
  12. #272  
    Quote Originally Posted by tsaunders View Post
    I asked them if there is a fix for this and they responded with this:
    Glad to know there is a fix on the horizon. I had a feeling they were gonna handle the problem, they just wanted to keep quiet about it kinda like how the government doesn't want people to know UFOs have landed before.
  13. MiDoJo's Avatar
    Posts
    168 Posts
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    #273  
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    I used QPST last night, and after a battery swap this morning and got a good lock. I plan to do more testing, wondering if anyone is using both QPST and ebag's patch?
    I am and I get a good (at least) 6 hours of GPs without having to go outside and VZnav it

    Quote Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
    Guess I'll have to pick up Preware.

    I'd really wanted to avoid it, as I was trying to fight off the temptation to go nuts installing things here and there, mostly for warranty considerations.
    Seriously dude??? look at this forum, plenty of times it has been stated that Nothing Preware does (Homebrew or Patch) will void your warranty. Yes if you do the QPST wrong it might but that's nothing to do with Preware or Homebrew or even Patching or Kernel replacement.

    Palm employees Chuq (head of developer), Lynn Fox (PUblic Relations), and Adora (Developer Relations) all use Homebrew and Patching and Palm has time and again thanked the WebOS Internals crew and Jay Canuck for the work they have done.
    Please become educated. . . you and your wife are missing out by wholesale refusing Preware.

    Nuff said Off Topic :P
    Last edited by MiDoJo; 05/14/2010 at 03:17 PM.
  14. #274  
    Quote Originally Posted by MiDoJo View Post
    I am and I get a good (at least) 6 hours of GPs without having to go outside and VZnav it
    I really hope the fix comes soon. I am afraid to do the QPST -
  15. #275  
    Quote Originally Posted by cr_8_tiv View Post
    Glad to know there is a fix on the horizon. I had a feeling they were gonna handle the problem, they just wanted to keep quiet about it kinda like how the government doesn't want people to know UFOs have landed before.
    Now the question becomes when and how quickly they can get it out, with AT&T getting it in a few days and the GPS working, it's just one more thing they have.
  16. MiDoJo's Avatar
    Posts
    168 Posts
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    #276  
    Quote Originally Posted by tsaunders View Post
    Now the question becomes when and how quickly they can get it out, with AT&T getting it in a few days and the GPS working, it's just one more thing they have.

    Rumor Mill says a new OS version is in ~two weeks (WebOS Dev Team publically annouced a new "suprise" for beta enrolled developers, and also had a blog post which said that the next version would come out for Betas end of may to give them a few week headstart) . . . that does not mean that VZW will put it out right away. . . esp if they are going to do GPS fix this version (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $keyboard$ $fix$ $is$ $what$ $delayed$ $our$ $1$.$4$.$1$.$1$)
    Last edited by MiDoJo; 05/14/2010 at 03:26 PM.
  17. #277  
    I did the test with QPST at settings 66.174.95.132 port 8880 and the patch I have loaded from Preware.
    Started Google maps, it started, and in 2 min grabbed the data from yesterday cashe, which is currently 15 ml from my position. After 5 min - same. I have started VizNav, it grabbed cashe also (in 30 sec though), after that in 5 sec it found my correct location with accuracy of 10 feet. In another 1.5- 2 min, Google did the same. As far as I concern, the QPST procedure works, and patch probably not.
  18. MiDoJo's Avatar
    Posts
    168 Posts
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    #278  
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
    Guess I'll have to pick up Preware.

    I'd really wanted to avoid it, as I was trying to fight off the temptation to go nuts installing things here and there, mostly for warranty considerations.
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post
    I did the test with QPST at settings 66.174.95.132 port 8880 and the patch I have loaded from Preware.
    Started Google maps, it started, and in 2 min grabbed the data from yesterday cashe, which is currently 15 ml from my position. After 5 min - same. I have started VizNav, it grabbed cashe also (in 30 sec though), after that in 5 sec it found my correct location with accuracy of 10 feet. In another 1.5- 2 min, Google did the same. As far as I concern, the QPST procedure works, and patch probably not.
    doesn't sound like you have Google Services turned off in Location Services, can you confirm that? Did you (Also) do a battery pull?
    can yhou confirm these steps http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2450814
  19. #279  
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    I used QPST last night, and after a battery swap this morning and got a good lock. I plan to do more testing, wondering if anyone is using both QPST and ebag's patch?
    Yep, I finished about 2AM - tested until 3 then *had* to get some rest. Today, happy to report that the combination of the QPST procedure and Ebag's patch work very well on my phone. Other's mileage may vary, but *I* am one happy camper.
  20. #280  
    Quote Originally Posted by tsaunders View Post
    I really hope the fix comes soon. I am afraid to do the QPST -
    I can understand the fear associated with using the QPST tool - I was a "hacker" back when it meant a guy willing to pursue a problem no matter how many hours/days it took rather than today's interpretation of what once was a venerable title - (ah all of those days spent mastering CP/M) - and even with all those years of experience, have to admit to a certain "pucker factor" about 1AM as I went over, and over the procedure - double and triple checking I had everything "right" before actually writing the mods to my cell phone.

    You will need to be patient and wait for the (now acknowledged) "fix". My problem is, the older I get the less time I have left to spend being "patient".

Posting Permissions