Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
    Honestly, I'm just scared to. As many times as I see the phrase "this can brick your phone if you don't know what you're doing," I'm just scared to death of killing the phone!
    a valid thing to feel -- when you run QPST and hook up to the phone you will click read from phone -- this will retrieve information from the phone and put it into an editor for you -- you then change it and when you are sure it is right you click "write to phone" up to this point you have done nothing that will hurt the phone -- if you follow the directions and only check the buttons that are in the instructions you should not be able to hurt the phone -- the only tab you are doing any modifications are is the GPS tab -- avoid being curious and stay on ths tab and you can't hurt the phone -- go slowly and if you don't feel comfortable do not click write to phone -- no harm no foul.. but if you go through with this you will be very happy with the results -- a vast improvement to your GPS -- verizon especially
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by cr_8_tiv View Post
    I'm pretty sure patches are incapable of permanently breaking anything on your phone because they simply alter system files, which can be easily restored when necessary. Also, you should know that using patches like these are to be installed "At your own risk"
    Yes, I do realize that, I was just venting a bit. Simply removing the patch should put things right, I'm just about to do that. I just tested GPS again today, and it's even worse than it was yesterday after first installing the patch. GPS did actually work fine before the patch, it was just rather slow to get going (though opening VZNav did seem to kick it nicely).
    I modified ebags patch to contain port 8888 and the IP address. results for me were spectacular. It could be QPST (with 216 address), or it could be the patch, but I'm done messing around with my GPS. I no longer have to run vznav. I've attached it for anyone who wants to try it AT THEIR OWN RISK. make sure you remove the old patch before installing this one.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ok, perhaps I spoke too soon. I just tested a third time after doing a full shutdown and restart (again, I also did so after first installing the patch). Now GPS is working again... I get an almost instant tower-location fix followed within a minute with a pretty accurate GPS fix. I don't know that it's any better than without the patch, as mine was always a bit random anyway. Time will tell I guess.
  5.    #225  
    Quote Originally Posted by nulsul View Post
    I modified ebags patch to contain port 8888 and the IP address. results for me were spectacular. It could be QPST (with 216 address), or it could be the patch, but I'm done messing around with my GPS. I no longer have to run vznav. I've attached it for anyone who wants to try it AT THEIR OWN RISK. make sure you remove the old patch before installing this one.
    I have a feeling that the QPST tweak is doing as much or more as anything else.
    I don't know if it's the combination of these two patches, but ever since I installed the new "enable/disable gps on Google maps launch/close" on top of Ebag333's aGPS patch I've been getting consistent & quick locks EVERYTIME I launch google maps. This rarely used to work for me.

It seems that the action of toggling the gps on/off works to clear the cache or "wake" the chip. As a test, I tried manually turning on the gps and launching Smart Runner without Google maps open and I got a GPS lock pretty quickly.

I wonder if we got a patch that toggles the gps whenever ANY location based app is launched and deactivates the gps when all gps apps are closed, would this solve the GPS issues for good?
    Quote Originally Posted by cr_8_tiv View Post
    I don't know if it's the combination of these two patches, but ever since I installed the new "enable/disable gps on Google maps launch/close" on top of Ebag333's aGPS patch I've been getting consistent & quick locks EVERYTIME I launch google maps. This rarely used to work for me.

It seems that the action of toggling the gps on/off works to clear the cache or "wake" the chip. As a test, I tried manually turning on the gps and launching Smart Runner without Google maps open and I got a GPS lock pretty quickly.

I wonder if we got a patch that toggles the gps whenever ANY location based app is launched and deactivates the gps when all gps apps are closed, would this solve the GPS issues for good?
    Can you just use something like "Quick Systems Tasks" to toggle the GPS (it would have to be done manually, but its fairly easy)? I've found that that is one of my more useful / robust patches.

I find that when I either wake Google Maps (from screen lock) or restart, the position starts at my old position, but after a while (10's of seconds), GPS lock occurs with a tight radius.
    Quote Originally Posted by liketreo View Post
    Can you just use something like "Quick Systems Tasks" to toggle the GPS (it would have to be done manually, but its fairly easy)? I've found that that is one of my more useful / robust patches.

I find that when I either wake Google Maps (from screen lock) or restart, the position starts at my old position, but after a while (10's of seconds), GPS lock occurs with a tight radius.
    I can, but it would be 2 less screen taps and it would save me from the annoyance of remembering to manually turn on/off the gps everytime.

Also, I take it back. Google maps sometimes doesn't refresh itself and often times it prevents other apps from being able to access the gps.

If I toggle gps off then on and independently launch GPS Trip Panel I'll get an immediate acquisition. It looks like google maps not only doesn't reliably wake gps, but it's preventing other apps from accessing the chip as well.
    I tried your version of the patch and the results were the same for me. No luck. Thank you for the effort.
    ...awesome, thanks...if this doesn't work QPST here i come...it can't be that hard....
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    Success! I Doctored the Pre to deal with some other issues, and then re-installed all of my patches, including this one. I made sure Google Services was off, and then restarted the Pre. I turned on Quick System Tasks and toggled the No Sleep switch to "on", and then started Google Maps and just let it sit there. Within a minute, I had a fix on my location within a few feet - inside! Sweet.....

Questions:

1. Should I remove the patch and install the modified GPS patch I see a few posts above mine?

2. I saw the message about enabling/disabling GPS upon open and close of Google Maps. I'm tempted to do this, but since I got a firm lock, I'm a little hesitant to screw with it, lol. Thoughts?
    If it's working and you're happy I'd leave it alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtonk View Post
    Success! I Doctored the Pre to deal with some other issues, and then re-installed all of my patches, including this one. I made sure Google Services was off, and then restarted the Pre. I turned on Quick System Tasks and toggled the No Sleep switch to "on", and then started Google Maps and just let it sit there. Within a minute, I had a fix on my location within a few feet - inside! Sweet.....

Questions:

1. Should I remove the patch and install the modified GPS patch I see a few posts above mine?

2. I saw the message about enabling/disabling GPS upon open and close of Google Maps. I'm tempted to do this, but since I got a firm lock, I'm a little hesitant to screw with it, lol. Thoughts?
    if it aint broke.........................
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    if it aint broke.........................
    hopefully it holds for him...i just got done with the QPST method....we shall see. it wasn't that hard, changing the drivers to the current pre ver id was a little interesting, but its done. my wife has a pre and i guess i'll be doing the QPST on hers too, she's lost without GPS...yes i know, mobile phone gps shouldnt be relied upon.....
    For me, I could always get a relatively accurate fix (had approx a 1/4 mile or less circle around my spot in google maps) but could never (well only once) get a true GPS fix, and it wouldnt track me as I moved - although usually it had the center of the circle pretty darn close to where I was (with google services on) and it got my fix really quick.

Now with this patch, (and google services off) I was able to get a dead-on gps fix after about 30-60 seconds outside AND it tracked me as I walked around the block. I tried turning google services back on and got the same 1/4 mile circle (albeit quicker)

While inside, with google services off, it still found me pretty accurately but slower than with google services on.

Pretty much what I was hoping for/expecting fwi.

Thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    hopefully it holds for him...i just got done with the QPST method....we shall see. it wasn't that hard, changing the drivers to the current pre ver id was a little interesting, but its done. my wife has a pre and i guess i'll be doing the QPST on hers too, she's lost without GPS...yes i know, mobile phone gps shouldnt be relied upon.....
    Also it shouldn't be blocked by the Carrier - :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I have a feeling that the QPST tweak is doing as much or more as anything else.
    we'll see just completed the QPST procedure...i really appreciate your work...w t f is verizon and palm on this...this has to be update-able, you'd think they wanted people not to return phones...not everyone can do what i just did! theres post on here daily that disturb me with their lack of basic forum protocal...ie search, read, follow instructions...
    Verizon blocked the GPS on the 8830WE for the longest time, until they finally released an update to unlock it for all third party apps. I don't think anybody was able to unlock it since it was a BB.

I haven't applied any patches yet and just got my phone yesterday. I will try the GPS today on my way home from work and see how it works.

Coming from the Motorola Droid, this sucks, was nice to have Google Maps Navigation. Would be great if they brought this to the Palm Pre. I also read that Bing is bringing navigation to Windows 7 phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsaunders View Post
    Verizon blocked the GPS on the 8830WE for the longest time, until they finally released an update to unlock it for all third party apps. I don't think anybody was able to unlock it since it was a BB.

I haven't applied any patches yet and just got my phone yesterday. I will try the GPS today on my way home from work and see how it works.

Coming from the Motorola Droid, this sucks, was nice to have Google Maps Navigation. Would be great if they brought this to the Palm Pre. I also read that Bing is bringing navigation to Windows 7 phones.
    this and battery are the only things that suck....hopefully this patch and QPST is the ticket everything else is awesome....so customizable, hackable, tweakable...whatever...i love it makes it mine.

@tsaunders- based on what I saw doing QPST they just didn't enable the full gps capabilities...neither did sprint since the fix was dev'd from sprint pre and then I believe sprint updated to open it up.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    The Preware version of this Patch is out and works great.

Previously GPS function ONLY worked while VZnav was open. Now GPS function works. . . as Jonathon (palmprelawyer) stated sometimes the GPS still goes to sleep and needs to be woken via VZnav but it stays on for multiple hours now so big ups to EBAGG333. After the first install of the patch you should shutdown and remove the battery for 3-5 min. It may be the case that each update of this patch may require this, we won't know until the update occurs.

It also maybe that QPST is necessary (I have done QPST and am reporting success). it is LIKELY that Google services should be off as (and I believe this may be true for other carriers as well) Google Services seems to take first call of GPS and then Not usually pass it on to the next line of GPS.