Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    i used the QPST method months ago and used the verizon numbers from that post -- my gps has been working fine all of this time -- i haven't changed to the above numbers because as of now i am satisfied with the GPS preformance -- i think if more people would go ahead and start doing ebag's QPST fix they would see that this is the best solution and these type of threads could stop being unfortunately the most common ones here
    for some reason i'm unsure about the QPST process....i'll read over the thread again. Obviously it shouldn't be necessary...but it apparently may be...
    I have tested the poundGPS patch installed via WebOSQI and when I could get the GPS to wake up I got slightly quicker GPS locks. The problem was that I often had to either start VZNav, turn GPS off/on, Java restart or battery pull to get GPS to respond.

Using WebOSQI, I removed the poundGPS patch and installed the version in Preware. Just got done testing it and even after waking the GPS with a Java restart (VZNav could NOT wake the GPS until after the Java restart) I could not get a lock until I opened VZNav.

At this point I believe that this patch will help those whose GPS does not suffer from the "sleeping" issue. I really believe that there is an underlying problem at either the WebOS, driver or hardware level. I really want Verizon and Palm to take a serious look at this. If ATT's Pre+ also suffers from a faulty GPS we will know where to start pointing fingers.

Many Thanks to Ebag333 and others who made this patch (and continued work) possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by AWChuck View Post
    I have tested the poundGPS patch installed via WebOSQI and when I could get the GPS to wake up I got slightly quicker GPS locks. The problem was that I often had to either start VZNav, turn GPS off/on, Java restart or battery pull to get GPS to respond.

Using WebOSQI, I removed the poundGPS patch and installed the version in Preware. Just got done testing it and even after waking the GPS with a Java restart (VZNav could NOT wake the GPS until after the Java restart) I could not get a lock until I opened VZNav.

At this point I believe that this patch will help those whose GPS does not suffer from the "sleeping" issue. I really believe that there is an underlying problem at either the WebOS, driver or hardware level. I really want Verizon and Palm to take a serious look at this. If ATT's Pre+ also suffers from a faulty GPS we will know where to start pointing fingers.

Many Thanks to Ebag333 and others who made this patch (and continued work) possible.
    try the qpst method -- it turns on additional GPS modes and might help resolve your problems
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    for some reason i'm unsure about the QPST process....i'll read over the thread again. Obviously it shouldn't be necessary...but it apparently may be...
    i went through the QPST method when i happen across it in a thread talking about the mode switcher ap and have been successful for a long time with my gps where others are having problems -- i had actually forgotten that i had done it or i would have been evangelizing for even longer the this is the answer
    -- i was used to QPST having used it on a few motorola phones so i wasn't too nervous about using it --it is a lot easier then the thread makes it sound just take your time and follow the instructions while i cannot promise you that it will fix your problems i feel that it will help -- alot --
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by AWChuck View Post

i think i'm in this boat... the gps just needs help to wake up...sometimes even vznavi needs help.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Ebag- Would it still help at all if you got your hands on a Verizon Pre Plus? I *might* be able to donate one for testing. Let me know. techjunky79@gmail.com
    i went through the QPST method when i happen across it in a thread talking about the mode switcher ap and have been successful for a long time with my gps where others are having problems -- i had actually forgotten that i had done it or i would have been evangelizing for even longer the this is the answer
    -- i was used to QPST having used it on a few motorola phones so i wasn't too nervous about using it --it is a lot easier then the thread makes it sound just take your time and follow the instructions while i cannot promise you that it will fix your problems i feel that it will help -- alot --
    i may just do it...man i really hate this whole thing. why can't my otherwise awesome pre+ handle gps like the other smartphones....if i had choosen another *gasp* device i wouldn't be getting "the look" from my wife when she sees me on this forum...AGAIN....
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsnyder View Post
    9. Turned Wi-fi off, then tried Google Maps, GOT A FIX!
    10. Immediately tried ##477#, GOT A FIX!
    11. Reenabled Wi-Fi, Google Maps - FIX!, ##477# - FIX!

Some observations and thoughts:

Not sure my sequence of steps were really necessary (such as disabling and reenabling Wi-Fi), just more or less my order of events.
    Unless something has changed between revisions of this patch, it contains a DNS name for Verizon's aGPS server that can *only* be resolved over the cellular data network. I'm guessing that your phone was still linked to your home wifi network when you went outside, which means that it was trying to resolve the name over the wifi link and not the cellular data link. When you turned wifi off, it resolved the name over the cellular data link and everything started working.

My thought is that perhaps putting the IP address instead of the DNS name into the patch might fix this for a lot more people, if it hasn't been done already. If I recall correctly, the QPST instructions have you put in the IP address and not the DNS name, which may explain why they work for some people when this patch doesn't.....
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Unless something has changed between revisions of this patch, it contains a DNS name for Verizon's aGPS server that can *only* be resolved over the cellular data network. I'm guessing that your phone was still linked to your home wifi network when you went outside, which means that it was trying to resolve the name over the wifi link and not the cellular data link. When you turned wifi off, it resolved the name over the cellular data link and everything started working.

My thought is that perhaps putting the IP address instead of the DNS name into the patch might fix this for a lot more people, if it hasn't been done already. If I recall correctly, the QPST instructions have you put in the IP address and not the DNS name, which may explain why they work for some people when this patch doesn't.....
    interesting....
    I tried this patch earlier tonight, and even after rebooting, pulling the battery twice, I still could not get it to work properly. I turned off google services, and even tried ##GPS# still could not get a location. So I removed the patch, restarted, and now for some odd reason, GPS works perfectly. I don't know how long that will last, but the when I started google maps, it found me right away. I even drove across town, started google maps again, and put me it the correct spot within a matter of seconds.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    You can put me in the "does not work" category. Steps I followed:

Reset the phone BEFORE I installed it

Reset the phone After I installed it (By holding square sym and R)

Turning on WiFi / turning off WiFi

Walking out in the middle of my street at 1:00 AM and almost getting hit by a cab.

nothing. I'm not necessarily looking for help, just more as a tally for working / not working. I understand being defensive about your work, but it seems more people seem to not get any help than get help, this feels like another one of those "GET A FIX QUICK" campaigns.
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyHog View Post
    You can put me in the "does not work" category. Steps I followed:

Reset the phone BEFORE I installed it

Reset the phone After I installed it (By holding square sym and R)

Turning on WiFi / turning off WiFi

Walking out in the middle of my street at 1:00 AM and almost getting hit by a cab.

nothing. I'm not necessarily looking for help, just more as a tally for working / not working. I understand being defensive about your work, but it seems more people seem to not get any help than get help, this feels like another one of those "GET A FIX QUICK" campaigns.
    i reccommend the QPST method -- i really cannot figure out why some people won't try this and report success or not -- it is not quite as quick but i believe it is a fix -- give it a try -- you will be happy
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post

Not so... can't ping it unless I'm on verizon network. IP address or no.

The QPST only allows you to put the IP address.

I recently did the QPST and since have am MUCH happier with the way my phone responds (STILL have to use VZNav to get a quick wake/agps lock, not sure which it is doing). One thing of note, I tried both

PDE IP Address: 216.198.139.92
    PDE Port Number: 8889

and

PDE IP Address: 66.174.95.132 (this resolves to 'PDEIS801.myvzw.com' ONLY when I am on a verizon data tower)
    PDE Port Number: 8880

in my reading on QPST, I have found conflicting information regarding the port which says to use 8888

PDE IP Address: 66.174.95.132
    PDE Port number: 8888

I will try the other port *8888* when I get home and have access to QPST (I don't think either is really working otherwise I wouldn't have to use VZnav). Is there some way that we can definitively test which port to use?

I definitely feel that using QPST has helped. I have not had to do any phone/os restarting to get a GPS lock (just run vznav after 2 days of testing).

Again thanks to everyone for all the help.
    I may be a newbie here, but doesn't work for me.

Granted I live in Boston, but still. I just uninstalled it. I will continue to use the VZ Navigator trick. Great as I walk so much.
    I would like to use the QPST method. When contacting verizon they told me that my MSL is ##000000. Is this the correct number I need?
    i reccommend the QPST method -- i really cannot figure out why some people won't try this and report success or not -- it is not quite as quick but i believe it is a fix -- give it a try -- you will be happy
    Honestly, I'm just scared to. As many times as I see the phrase "this can brick your phone if you don't know what you're doing," I'm just scared to death of killing the phone!
    Quote Originally Posted by JamMasterClay View Post
    I would like to use the QPST method. When contacting verizon they told me that my MSL is ##000000. Is this the correct number I need?
    This is the correct number for vzw. (six zeros, no pound signs)
    Just add me to the list of people for whom this patch does not work. With this patch I get no GPS at all (tower location only) unless I open VZNav, and then I get one quick accurate fix. Then within a few seconds it reverts back to the tower location fix, and that's the best fix I get no matter how long I try with various GPS apps (google maps, YP mobile, ##GPS#, GPS Dashboard, Where's my car).

I haven't removed the patch yet, but I'm really going to be ****ed if this has permanently broken my GPS.

Forgive the harsh words, I do appreciate the effort of those who worked on this patch. But clearly this issue is not completely understood yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by nulsul View Post
    This is the correct number for vzw. (six zeros, no pound signs)
    yes this is the number
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    Just add me to the list of people for whom this patch does not work. With this patch I get no GPS at all (tower location only) unless I open VZNav, and then I get one quick accurate fix. Then within a few seconds it reverts back to the tower location fix, and that's the best fix I get no matter how long I try with various GPS apps (google maps, YP mobile, ##GPS#, GPS Dashboard, Where's my car).

I haven't removed the patch yet, but I'm really going to be ****ed if this has permanently broken my GPS.

Forgive the harsh words, I do appreciate the effort of those who worked on this patch. But clearly this issue is not completely understood yet.
    I'm pretty sure patches are incapable of permanently breaking anything on your phone because they simply alter system files, which can be easily restored when necessary. Also, you should know that using patches like these are to be installed "At your own risk"
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast