Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaView View Post
    It's a repeatable event, if I would calculate the age it wouldn't be correct next year
    Hi. Great patch! I've tried Google's ability to creat birthday reminders, but prefer to do it on the device, and prefer your implementation because it shows the date of the original birthday so we can calculate age.

One requests:
    1. a second variant of the patch that will (1) create only the next birthday occurance and (2) calculate the age. (I know I said something different above, but I'm lazy. ;-) Also, no need to load up the calendar obsolete birthdays in the past.

A combined cleanup/renotify function would be cool, but I can get the same effect by doing both menu items you've created one after the other...

Another MINOR query: is it possible arrange a way to have them be another color than the default calendar account - perhaps attached to a another account, etc.?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Goyena; 05/20/2010 at 08:28 AM.
  2.    #82  
    Yesterday I've submitted a new version. Still usingthe default account and creating event series for the reminders. Maybe next version will come with a selectable account and a menu item to only create the next events.
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Vielen dank. Ich hoffe, dass Du dich besser fuehlst bald.

Da ich kann nicht Patchs so bezahlen, werde ich Deine paid Apps alle Kaufen.
  4.    #84  
    thanks a lot
    Is it possible to have automatic reminders at 1.5 days instead of 1 day? This way it wont ring at midnight.

Update: Did I tell you, how much I love this patch
  6.    #86  
    The reminder is set to 36 hours with the last upate.
    I installed the patch via preware yesterday...I created the birthday events and it seemed to work. However, when I compared it with my birthdays I directly imported from facebook onto my google calendar, I noticed that some were missing. It appeared from my quick review that some (or all) of the facebook birthdays without a YEAR were not being added to my calendar.

Have you seen this before? any idea how to fix it (i.e. maybe if no year is available, use the current year as a default, or something like that).

thanks!
    Adam
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Same here, no birthdays are being added which do not have birth years to them. A lot of my friends on facebook do not have birth years to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    I installed the patch via preware yesterday...I created the birthday events and it seemed to work. However, when I compared it with my birthdays I directly imported from facebook onto my google calendar, I noticed that some were missing. It appeared from my quick review that some (or all) of the facebook birthdays without a YEAR were not being added to my calendar.

Have you seen this before? any idea how to fix it (i.e. maybe if no year is available, use the current year as a default, or something like that).

thanks!
    Adam
    is there a way to only add specific birthdays and not all? i have hundreds of contacts, but only want to add certain ones...
    Quote Originally Posted by Olodin View Post
    Hi,
    just noticed that some birthday events created with this patch are one day too early.
    The date in the events name is right, though?

How can I help debug this?
    Hi MetaView,

I did a screenshot of the problem I described above. You see that the date of birthday and date of event do not match. Though the subject is correct... strange. The birthday in the contact is set to 27.05.1957
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Olodin; 05/30/2010 at 07:06 AM.
  11.    #91  
    @defjamblaster: How would you specify this?
    @Olodin: Which timezone? Where do you live?
    [QUOTE=MetaView;2482354]@defjamblaster: How would you specify this?

i would have the option to add birthday event show up in the menu while you're viewing a contact. I have many contacts in my phone but only 20 or 30 i'd want birthdays added for...
    @Olodin: Which timezone? Where do you live?
    I live in Germany. Timezone is GMT+1. Set to "Network Timezone" on Palm Pre.
  14.    #94  
    Same here, but without such a problem.
    Looks like a great patch, haven't had the chance to add it yet but intend to in the future. I read through the entire thread and have some feature suggestions which may or may not be possible. I used to use HappyDays on Palm OS and liked the following.
    1) Allow the birthday event to be set at a user selected actual time e.g. 7pm, or all day event. I know a birthday is actually an all day event, but think most people are using the calendar event as a reminder.
    2) Allow the user to set the default alarm for X number of days. I like 5 days so I have the chance to send an actual birthday card in the mail. When that alarm goes off, I can change it to 5 mins before the time so I can call (via my Pre!) on the birthday.
    3) Possibly create a front end app that displays all of the birthdays that are created, displaying Name, Date and Age, sortable by Name or Date.

Great work - thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olodin View Post
    I live in Germany. Timezone is GMT+1. Set to "Network Timezone" on Palm Pre.
    Same here, but without such a problem.
    Perhaps this is a contact from a Exchange or Facebook account, so that timezone probs will occur?
  17.    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    Perhaps this is a contact from a Exchange or Facebook account, so that timezone probs will occur?
    That's what I was thinking too, but then I wonder why the title is correct. The title looks like the birthday date was correctly parsed (reminds me I need to enhance the parsing to allow dates without year) but the event was scheduled to the wrong day.
    That's what I was thinking too, but then I wonder why the title is correct. The title looks like the birthday date was correctly parsed (reminds me I need to enhance the parsing to allow dates without year) but the event was scheduled to the wrong day.
    It is a synched contact.

This just reminded me of a problem I posted in the palm developer forums:
    Forums webOS • View topic - [1.4.1] Birthday one day to early after EAS sync?

AfaikAfaikAfaik $the$ $birthday$ $is$ $stored$ $in$ $UTC$ $with$ $full$ $date$ $and$ $time$; $and$ $webOS$ $saves$ $the$ $time$ $as$ $the$ $time$ $the$ $birthday$ $was$ $entered$ $into$ $the$ $contact$ $instead$ $of$ $always$ $e$.$g$. $12$:$00$. $Maybe$ $this$ $generates$ $problems$ $together$ $with$ $timezone$ $calculation$?
    sorry, doublepost
    Last edited by Olodin; 06/01/2010 at 05:30 AM.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    First, thanks to MetaView for assisting Palm here on this one. The mess with birthday sync is a bit unsettling, especially if you remember the name of this device and why they chose it.

For my part, I just realized that I won't be able to use the Birthday Patch since I sync uniquely with GMail's contacts (after having exported from a desktop sync to Outlook).
    However, if it wasn't for Google's ability to create parallel calendars from THEIR birthday field, then I wouldn't have any birthday reminders at all, since the Pre's birthday field remains empty, unable to sync with Google.

This is an imperfect solution, since we all know it's impossible to search in the Calendar (kudos to the app "Google Account Search" for filling in that hole...mostly). Thus, although I have reminders, I can't easily lookup someone's birthday, nor add new ones.

As a funny workaround, I messed around with the CSV (added Email 5 type, Email 5 value) that I imported to Google, added an EMAIL field called "BIRTHDAY". The funny but nice part is that "Universal" search now gives me the birthday immediately (labeled strangely as "other") whenever I type in a contact.

The bad part is that I can add new ones the same way, but I'll have to export all contacts, then sort/filter for date formats (yyyy-mm-aa) with "other" as a label, then convert those labels, and copy and paste those back to the Birthday column so Google will put the reminders in the calendar.

Google's reminders don't even put the original year or calculate the age, as you can with MetaView's patch.

In summary...Contacts sync with Google...it's B.S.