Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    I'm calling this a "Patch Idea" rather than a Patch Request because I'm not sure yet whether it is necessary *or* feasible.

I'm thinking that it would be nice to be able to flip one toggle switch that would make all of your email accounts check email manually only, rather than every X minutes or as items arrive. The reason I *think* this would be nice is because I'm assuming that there is some battery drain associated with the email program trying to poll (POP) or keep an idle connection going with (IMAP) the various email services even if there is no data connection. Does anybody know whether this is the case? I ask because there are some webOS users who like to keep data off most of the time, at least on weekends when there's no need to be constantly aware of email, and these same users may wish to maximize their battery life by reducing unnecessary activities like email polling when that polling would be futile (no data, remember). Of course, one could always go into the Preferences within the email app and set each and every account to "Manual" on Friday night and reset those preferences on Monday morning, but wouldn't it be more convenient to have a switch that could toggle between the user's normal settings and a global "manual only" setting?

Anyway, I am interested in any comments as to whether this would need to be done for battery life and, if so, whether a patch to put this in the device menu would be feasible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog View Post
    Of course, one could always go into the Preferences within the email app and set each and every account to "Manual" on Friday night and reset those preferences on Monday morning, but wouldn't it be more convenient to have a switch that could toggle between the user's normal settings and a global "manual only" setting?
    I keep mine on manual all the time, specifically due to the battery usage issue. So while I would probably not find this patch useful, I do think it is a great idea, assuming it is possible to achieve.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    I hope others are interested in this.

Speaking of interesting things, I put one of my email accounts on manual today and, while trying to check mail, I got the yellow warning triangle indicating that the account was unavailable for some reason. Those of you who have gotten this warning triangle before know that when you tap on it, it gives you a little box that tells you, among other things, how many minutes until the next scheduled check. Imagine my surprise when the box popped up and told me that I had 999986 (or something like that) minutes until the next check! Apparently when you set it to "Manual," it doesn't actually turn polling off but rather sets the interval to a ridiculously long time.

Well, it was news to me.
    I do believe what you are requesting is possible already with mode switcher, however I could be wrong.

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-switcher.html
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. I do prefer patches to apps for this kind of thing, but I'll check it out.
    bump
    Hmm or maybe a manually "check/update all" would be pretty hand, so that way when you have some free time you can grab your email go through them and all is good.