Page 95 of 207 FirstFirst ... 458590919293949596979899100105145195 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 4135
Like Tree55Likes
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    Using Pre on 1.4.5, this patch won't install (log error, while the multilingual localization does install). Do I have some hope to solve this or might as well forget about it? Ta
    Did you get the multiligual patch to install correctly?
    If you get into problems with it, please let me know.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".
    Voltaire, french writer and Philosopher, 1694-1778

French translator of UberCalendar, sconix's advanced patches, Twithibition, AuctionMate, Communities, Headlines 2, OrganizeMe!, Homebrew Google Maps, and many other webOS apps.
    updated to 36-10 here:

http://forums.precentral.net/2802221-post1711.html

added pref for minute interval selections of 1, 5, 10, 15, 20, 30 in the datetime picker.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    I have a question for those that use templates. I am planning on using UTC timestamps to set the time for the templates. This is so if you travel a template for 13:00 can be translated to a local time of 13:00. Also it will insure that the templates will be found on the right day, 1, 1, 2030. If I don't use UTC, then if you move timezones the templates would get put in the wrong time. 13:00 in Los Angeles is not the same as 13:00 Berlin. By using UTC I can make this mostly seemless, you will see a list of templates listed by hour. Applying a template will put it at that hour in your current timezone.

When you create a template I will take the local time, say 13:00 and store the event at 13:00 UTC. You won't have to make the conversion yourself. It will just be a menu option, save as template.

The complication is if you edit the templates directly by going to 1,1,2030 it will not show the correct UTC hour. It will show the local hour. So the question is, will this cause a problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    I have a question for those that use templates. I am planning on using UTC timestamps to set the time for the templates. This is so if you travel a template for 13:00 can be translated to a local time of 13:00. Also it will insure that the templates will be found on the right day, 1, 1, 2030. If I don't use UTC, then if you move timezones the templates would get put in the wrong time. 13:00 in Los Angeles is not the same as 13:00 Berlin. By using UTC I can make this mostly seemless, you will see a list of templates listed by hour. Applying a template will put it at that hour in your current timezone.

When you create a template I will take the local time, say 13:00 and store the event at 13:00 UTC. You won't have to make the conversion yourself. It will just be a menu option, save as template.

The complication is if you edit the templates directly by going to 1,1,2030 it will not show the correct UTC hour. It will show the local hour. So the question is, will this cause a problem?
    Don't think that this will be a problem, at least not for me. Can't wait for this feature to be implemented!

Thanks a lot for your effort
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    I've never heard of this UTC timestamp functionality -- are you saying there's a way to mark an event such that it stays at the same numerical time even when the phone crosses timezones? Is this something that is accessible by the user?

I take it you're going to implement a template editing function that does NOT merely take the user to 1/1/2030 to edit templates?

And, when a user inserts a template event into the calendar, this UTC timestamp will be changed/removed such that the event will respond to changes in timezone?

If I'm understanding all this correctly, then I think what you propose should not be a problem.

Regards,
    Tom
    @TomJ - the UTC timestamps are just for storage, template retrieval and choosing a local time.

@All - Sorry about the mini-novel, but I don't want to put time on this without getting some feedback. So please read it and complain now, I'm less likely to listen later

Here's how the work flow goes, hopefully it makes it easier for people to help me design this. This is still in the idea stage so it's not coded up completely, so this is more how I plan it to go. Then I can explain where the UTC timestamps are needed. Remember webOS will always display local time and change when events are displayed relative to where you are unless, you turn off Network based timezones or you never travel.

1. Make a template -- Normally create an event. Choose a time say 4:00 pm or 16:00 and end time. Fill it in normally with the details, I'm going to try and get all the details. I don't know how or if it will all work.

2. Save a template -- Choose "Save as Template" from the menu, it will go back to whatever scene you were in. In the background, I'll take the date and change it to 1.1.2030. I'll take 16:00 and change it to 16:00 UTC. So if you are in New York on Eastern Standard Time, the event will actually be stored in the calendar at 11:00 1.1.2030. If you went to that event, that's how it would look. More on this below*

3. Use a template -- You hit the date bar (the one that let's you do "jump to"). In "jump to" currently if you tap on a date, it will just jump the calendar to that date. If you hold on a date (not sure everyone is aware of this) or change the date using the normal webos date picker, it doesn't jump right away. You have to hit the "Date" button to jump. I'm not changing these, but I'm going to use this hold or date picker behavior. The date displayed on the date picker and with the red & green vertical lines becomes the date that I use to apply the template. *** I chose "jump to" because you can get there from any scene and I didn't want to add another button. Plus I need the date picker to choose a new event date.

4. Finding templates -- Once you've got your date displayed, you push on the "Templates" button. It will bring up a list of the templates. Templates are displayed using the UTC timestamps. So the one that appears as 11:00 EST in the calendar will display as 16:00. In this template "view": you can slide to delete a template, type to search (subject, location, note and category/icon) for a template, and I'm thinking about hold orange key and tap to edit the template. More on UTC below*

5. Applying/Tapping the template event. -- I take the date displayed in the date picker/calendar for the day, set the time to 16:00 in whatever timezone you are currently in. Then (by a preference setting?) you will either go into the edit scene to tweak your new event or you will go back to whatever scene you were in to the new date you chose in the date picker.

5. Editing a template, (hold orange & tap?) -- I will open the template and change the time so that it will appear in the edit scene at the UTC timestamp of 16:00. But to save it you will have to choose "Save as Template" again. Then I'll hopefully be able to bring you back to the view you were in on the same day you were on and not in 1.1.2030. ***complication*** If you don't choose "Save as Template" it will be saved in local time, and if you are traveling it won't be when you want it to be when you get home. And you will be in 1.1.2030 after exiting the edit scene.

That's pretty much it, using UTC allows me to store the templates on the same UTC day no matter where you are physically located. It also allows a template to be made for 16:00 and stay at 16:00 in the template view, no matter where you are physically located. If I use your local TZ and you travel, then a template you make for 16:00 in New York, will be 21:00 while you are in London. Also if you travel far enough they might appear on 2 Jan 2030 or 31 Dec 2029, and I won't be able to find them when I search for 1.1.2030.

*Now the complication comes in if you skip the "templates view" and go directly to 1.1.2030. If you do this, the events won't appear where you think they are because they will be stored in UTC.

cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by frantid; 01/15/2011 at 06:29 AM. Reason: added notes to display & search
    @frantid So I can only use my Pre until 2030 if I use templates?
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    @frantid So I can only use my Pre until 2030 if I use templates?
    Yes, and it will cause it to be upgraded to the latest super phone as well.
    Last edited by frantid; 01/15/2011 at 05:28 AM.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    @frantid,
    I think your idea is the right one.
    I can't see in wich case the storage on 1.1.2030 could be a problem, provided the user never lands accidentaly on 1.1.2030 by leaving a scene.
    Thanks again for your hard work.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

French translator of UberCalendar, sconix's advanced patches, Twithibition, AuctionMate, Communities, Headlines 2, OrganizeMe!, Homebrew Google Maps, and many other webOS apps.
    Love the ideas for the templates. I am totally fine with the times not being local if I go and edit a template entry.

Typical use for me is the following. When I have "Doctors appt" set up as a template the times change based on my appt. The key for me is getting the event with the description and icon into my day view. Then I can change the time if needed.

Very excited to try this out.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Thanks for the detailed explanation -- I think that implementation will work well. And, it's intuitive whether or not the user first goes to the date they want to insert the template event. I understand now about your use of the UTC time stamp, and I think that's a good way to keep times straight.

Maybe the "Jump To..." menu item should now be "Jump To/Template...", especially if the user is already on the date, to check their schedule first before they commit to the haircut, or whatever. In that case, they don't intend to jump anywhere, just insert a template.

Will there be any issue with implementing all-day events?

I'm one of those that didn't know about tap-and-hold a date in the date picker to move to that date. Is that, at least in part, so you can move beyond the 4-month window in the date picker? Thanks for pointing that out!

I wouldn't worry too much about users being confused by events on 1/1/2030. Although, you could put an all-day event there called "Ubercalendar Templates", and in the note field explain what's going on. This event, of course, would otherwise be ignored by UC (i.e. it wouldn't show in Template picker).

Regards,
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    Maybe the "Jump To..." menu item should now be "Jump To/Template...", especially if the user is already on the date, to check their schedule first before they commit to the haircut, or whatever. In that case, they don't intend to jump anywhere, just insert a template.
    I forgot about the menu item "Jump To", I always just hit the date bar. Makes sense to modify it.

It's a little more complicated, but I'm hoping there won't be an issue.

I'm one of those that didn't know about tap-and-hold a date in the date picker to move to that date. Is that, at least in part, so you can move beyond the 4-month window in the date picker? Thanks for pointing that out!
    That's exactly why it's there. You can also just use the regular date picker, to easily change the year. The calendar will update to the new date without jumping.

I wouldn't worry too much about users being confused by events on 1/1/2030. Although, you could put an all-day event there called "Ubercalendar Templates", and in the note field explain what's going on. This event, of course, would otherwise be ignored by UC (i.e. it wouldn't show in Template picker).
    That's an interesting idea. Might help for those that don't read directions or follow this thread the way we do.

Thanks.

Might help for those that don't read directions
    That's not a shot at anyone, I don't read directions myself half the time.

cheers.

Doesn't snooze, it says something like snoozed for 1440 minutes or whatever but nothing's done, the reminder stays at the bottom, am I doing something wrong?
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    @crowning73 - did you get a clean install and did you remove all the other calendar related patches -- like alternate snooze duration, more reminder times, etc?

Or do you mean the little calendar icon, that shows a notification and not the full alert? In order for the little calendar icon to go away automatically, you have to have "Reminder Dashboard" set to off and "Blink for Alert" off. In 1.4.5 the dashboard has to be there to get the led to blink. You can just swipe it away, it won't cancel the snooze.

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    I recently had holiday in an other time zone, western that where I live, and I noticed that the all-day events had moved to the previous day of the actual date where they had been writen when I was in my home-timezone. For example, the birthday of a friend, which I had enterrd as an all-day event came up one day earlier.
    I don't know if this is a bug or a feature of the calender, but I think you should take a look at it if you intend to add all-day events as templates.

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    @frantid:
    I just noticed that the text of the checkbox "Forever", in the scene where the repetition of an event can be set, seems not to be localizable. Can you fix this?

I think it happens here:
    Code:
    	'<div id="dtl_checkbox_div">' +
    		'<div id="dtl_forever_cb" x-mojo-element="CheckBox" class="icon left repeat-checkbox" ></div>' +
    		'<div class="title" x-mojo-loc="">Forever</div>' +
    	'</div></td>' + '<td width="20%">' + 
    		'<div x-mojo-element="Button" id="rpDrawerBtn" class="rpDrawerBtnClass"></div>' +
    	'</td></tr></table>';
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratus View Post
    @frantid:
    I just noticed that the text of the checkbox "Forever", in the scene where the repetition of an event can be set, seems not to be localizable. Can you fix this?

I think it happens here:
    Code:
    	'<div id="dtl_checkbox_div">' +
    		'<div id="dtl_forever_cb" x-mojo-element="CheckBox" class="icon left repeat-checkbox" ></div>' +
    		'<div class="title" x-mojo-loc="">Forever</div>' +
    	'</div></td>' + '<td width="20%">' + 
    		'<div x-mojo-element="Button" id="rpDrawerBtn" class="rpDrawerBtnClass"></div>' +
    	'</td></tr></table>';
    I'll take a look.

Updated to 36-11 here:

http://forums.precentral.net/2802221-post1711.html

fix: localization - thanks Kratus.

changes: modified how one of the cookies was saved. Please test.

@all - Anyone having issues with version 36? I'd like to continue with making the templates version 37 and update first post & Preware if all is okay with 36. I don't want to put the templates in 36 as it will need additional testing.

@TimBoch - did your problems go away?

Thanks for testing everyone.
    Last edited by frantid; 01/16/2011 at 12:39 PM.

Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Hello frantid. All was going well using -10 for about a day. Then last night, while switching between weekview and month view, prefs for day, week and monthview reset. As did the pref to backswipe to monthview and my custom newcategory icons were again deleted. So seems that occasionally, this still continues to happen for me. In fact, when I just launched this morning to look at it again, all reset again. Hmmmm. You got me. Still can't live without this though and thanks for all the help.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)