Page 141 of 207 FirstFirst ... 4191131136137138139140141142143144145146151191 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,820 of 4135
Like Tree55Likes
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    @metaview, Frantid
    Did you manage to get a Touchpad, as some WebOSInternals members did?

Without breaking the NDA, the least I would say about what I saw from the Touchpad's calendar is that there is room for improvements!
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".
    Voltaire, french writer and Philosopher, 1694-1778

French translator of UberCalendar, sconix's advanced patches, Twithibition, AuctionMate, Communities, Headlines 2, OrganizeMe!, Homebrew Google Maps, and many other webOS apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratus View Post
    @metaview, Frantid
    Did you manage to get a Touchpad, as some WebOSInternals members did?

Without breaking the NDA, the least I would say about what I saw from the Touchpad's calendar is that there is room for improvements!
    I don't know about MetaView, but I did not. Then again, I wouldn't rank my contributions to the community anywhere close to his or WebOS Internals. I'm really glad they got them, patching would not be fun without their tool sets and apps.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    I don't know about MetaView, but I did not. Then again, I wouldn't rank my contributions to the community anywhere close to his or WebOS Internals. I'm really glad they got them, patching would not be fun without their tool sets and apps.
    Don't be so modest! You're doing a great job and your work has greatly enhanced the usefulness of my pre!
  4.    #2804  
    I had a TouchPad right in front of me, but I send it away to the company I do some work right now for proper testing. I didn't had the time to test anything yet and still would expect some calendar changes until release.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaView View Post
    I had a TouchPad right in front of me, but I send it away to the company I do some work right now for proper testing. I didn't had the time to test anything yet and still would expect some calendar changes until release.
    As it has reached RC1, I though it would not change anymore.
    Wait and see, I ordered mine yesterday...
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

French translator of UberCalendar, sconix's advanced patches, Twithibition, AuctionMate, Communities, Headlines 2, OrganizeMe!, Homebrew Google Maps, and many other webOS apps.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Hi frantid,

Could you have a look here?
    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...f=210&t=215096

I already wanted to ask you something like that the last time I was on holiday in another timezone.

The first thing I would find useful is to allow entering begin and end of event based of (different) timezones. For example to enter a flight.

Would you consider adding something like this?

I was working on something like this before I got into the "change this and future" exercise. The problem is that the calendar does not understand different timezones within the same event. That part is not workable.

I had an idea that would have a way to let the user choose the timezone for an event. But I hit a dead end trying to figure out how to implement it. I need to somehow place a button or menu item and where to do it is the question.

I would think you always want the local timezone reflected in the day, week and month views. I'm not sure about the edit view and datetime view. If the local time is in the edit scene and assigned time in the datetime scene, the user will see different times and perhaps days. Tending to confusion. There has to be a way to indicate the event with different timezones or the user will get confused. Do they create an event with the idea being: I want an event in Paris that starts at 17:00 in New York or I want an event at 17:00 in Paris, but I live in New York.

The basic idea I had was to setup a method where the user could set the time and day of the event say 17:00. Then a button or menu item that let's the user assign a timezone to that event. On the back end the time would be converted from 17:00 in Paris to the local time of 11:00 in New York and the event assigned to the Paris timezone. From then on the event displays as 11:00 in all views of the calendar unless the timezone of the device is changed. I don't know if this would work with the calendar app.

I think I'd have to do it in a popup or something.

What do you think?
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    I would think you always want the local timezone reflected in the day, week and month views. I'm not sure about the edit view and datetime view. If the local time is in the edit scene and assigned time in the datetime scene, the user will see different times and perhaps days. Tending to confusion. There has to be a way to indicate the event with different timezones or the user will get confused. Do they create an event with the idea being: I want an event in Paris that starts at 17:00 in New York or I want an event at 17:00 in Paris, but I live in New York.

The basic idea I had was to setup a method where the user could set the time and day of the event say 17:00. Then a button or menu item that let's the user assign a timezone to that event. On the back end the time would be converted from 17:00 in Paris to the local time of 11:00 in New York and the event assigned to the Paris timezone. From then on the event displays as 11:00 in all views of the calendar unless the timezone of the device is changed. I don't know if this would work with the calendar app.
    I would really like something like this. Back in my Treo days I had DateBK which handled timezones in a pretty clean way. When you edited/created an event, you had a timezone picker. (You could configure whether the default timezone was your home tz or the local tz.) In day/wk/month views, events always showed at the adjusted local time. But in the event editor you always saw whatever time you set along with the zone you set. So using your example, a 17:00/Paris event would be shown at 11:00/NY in all views except if I edited it again, I would then see 17:00/Paris.

Maintaining compatibility with Google is critical. DateBK had this issue too with the native Palm calendar. DateBK used cryptic tags in the notes field. If you do something like this, I'd request human readable/editable tags in the notes. That way I could still look at the event in Google cal (at 11:00/NY) and I would see that it had a timezone value set to Paris. In fact if it was a clean/straightforward tag value, I might even manually set it for some events that I create in Google. If I enter the event in Google I'd have to do the math myself, but I can usually do right coast / left coast math in my head. If I'm in Pacific time and I wanted to add an event in google for 5pm Eastern, I could add it at 2pm but put write a tag for eastern timezone in the notes and then UC would know that it was actually 5pm Eastern.
    Quote Originally Posted by carrel View Post
    I would really like something like this. Back in my Treo days I had DateBK which handled timezones in a pretty clean way. When you edited/created an event, you had a timezone picker. (You could configure whether the default timezone was your home tz or the local tz.) In day/wk/month views, events always showed at the adjusted local time. But in the event editor you always saw whatever time you set along with the zone you set. So using your example, a 17:00/Paris event would be shown at 11:00/NY in all views except if I edited it again, I would then see 17:00/Paris.

Maintaining compatibility with Google is critical. DateBK had this issue too with the native Palm calendar. DateBK used cryptic tags in the notes field. If you do something like this, I'd request human readable/editable tags in the notes. That way I could still look at the event in Google cal (at 11:00/NY) and I would see that it had a timezone value set to Paris. In fact if it was a clean/straightforward tag value, I might even manually set it for some events that I create in Google. If I enter the event in Google I'd have to do the math myself, but I can usually do right coast / left coast math in my head. If I'm in Pacific time and I wanted to add an event in google for 5pm Eastern, I could add it at 2pm but put write a tag for eastern timezone in the notes and then UC would know that it was actually 5pm Eastern.
    I don't think it would have to be done in the notes section, at least I hope that's true. Most of the online calendar services have the capability to assign a timezone to the event. In google go into the calendar settings and check display all timezones. In an event details there's a timezone link where it will let you choose which timezone you want to assign. I know hotmail or live.com has the feature as well as outlook. I haven't checked Yahoo. The webOS calendar app is not built to understand more than 1 per event so it always uses the start timezone as the timezone of the event.

I do the timezone switching similar to the reverse of what you describe for templates, templates are stored in UTC and shown in local when editing. I suppose it could be similar but I'd have to have a way to let the user choose timezones. And a way of indicating the timezone is not the default.

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Hi,

well, I though it could be handled just like the online Google calendar manages it:
    When entering start and end date/time, there is a button called "timezone".
    One can then choose between two options:
    1. Event start and end on the same timezone
    2. Event start and event end on different timezones.
    This is the way it looks in Google calendar:

The local times are displayed in the edit scene.
    In the other views, the event start and end are matching the local time set in the display prefs.

Hi,

well, I though it could be handled just like the online Google calendar manages it:
    When entering start and end date/time, there is a button called "timezone".
    One can then choose between two options:
    1. Event start and end on the same timezone
    This is the way it looks in Google calendar:

The local times are displayed in the edit scene.
    In the other views, the event start and end are matching the local time set in the display prefs.
    I usually love a challenge, but I'd have to rewrite all the calendar services to support that.

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Well, I have no idea of what it involves behind the scene, but I found the way Google manages things is simple and elegant.

Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    I don't think it would have to be done in the notes section, at least I hope that's true. Most of the online calendar services have the capability to assign a timezone to the event. In google go into the calendar settings and check display all timezones. In an event details there's a timezone link where it will let you choose which timezone you want to assign. I know hotmail or live.com has the feature as well as outlook. I haven't checked Yahoo. The webOS calendar app is not built to understand more than 1 per event so it always uses the start timezone as the timezone of the event.
    Oh dang. Stupid me. I hadn't noticed that. I looked for timezones when I first moved to google calendar (when the Pre- first came out) and they weren't there. They have definitely been added and that is great. Wow, if you could sync and interoperate with that in UC it would be really great.

But then you say that "the webOS calendar app is not built to understand more than 1 per event". Does the webOS calendar have event timezones?? I don't see any controls or indicators for that. I just tested creating an event in google with a timezone and it did the right thing in Google. When it sync-ed to the Pre- it had the locally adjusted time (which is right) but I see no indication that the event is in another timezone. Am I missing something?
    @Kratus - I agree.

@Carrel - that's the part that would have to be coded.
    This is the part I meant I couldn't do. 2 different timezone on an event.

But you think local on the edit scene and datetime. Then assigned timezone after a push of a button?

I think that might be less confusing for those that don't follow the thread. Because most of these websites don't make it obvious what timezone the event is in. If your laptop or phone is in a different timezone, it will make it in that timezone you are traveling in. Perhaps I can change the button color if the timezone is different than a default timezone set in Preferences?

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Don't know if that makes sense:

Why not extending the usage of the first line in the notes field to something like this?
    [ICON=filename;][TIMEZONE=(GMT+01:00)Paris;[ENDTIMEZONE=(GMT-10:00)Hawaï;]]

I think that is what Carrel was suggesting.

One problem is how do you get the calendar to interact with the extra timezone?

It currently takes the timezone associated with the start time and associates it with the event. All of the calendar functions then use that 1 timezone to manipulate the event -- when it occurs, how it repeats, how to display it, changes for daylight savings, etc.

It's just not designed to account for another timezone in an event.

But maybe, I am making this solution too complicated.

Isn't all that is wanted a way to enter an event so that it appears correctly. Seems like all that is necessary is a converter type function. So I can enter a flight schedule 16:00 departure Paris time, arrival 17:00 New York Time and have it work correctly without having to do the world clock lookup. I enter 17:00 as start time and my current timezone is in Paris, no conversion necessary. I enter 18:00 end time, push a button that brings up a converter that lets me choose the timezone I want for that time. I select New York, hit ok. The display in the date time scene changes to 23:00 for the end time.

If I travel to NY, my phone switches to NY time and the event will say 10:00 start, 17:00 end.

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Isn't all that is wanted a way to enter an event so that it appears correctly. Seems like all that is necessary is a converter type function. So I can enter a flight schedule 16:00 departure Paris time, arrival 17:00 New York Time and have it work correctly without having to do the world clock lookup. I enter 17:00 as start time and my current timezone is in Paris, no conversion necessary. I enter 18:00 end time, push a button that brings up a converter that lets me choose the timezone I want for that time. I select New York, hit ok. The display in the date time scene changes to 23:00 for the end time.
    That's exactly what I mean!

I'll start looking at that, simple is sometimes better.

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Thanks!